issues in 3.2

Drew White

Jul 1, 2016, 11:40:10 PM7/1/16
to qubes-users

1. During initial configuration, if you don't create the NetVMs because you want to set everything yourself, it has error running a command because no matter what, it will try to run the command on the sys-net and sys-firewall.
2. No desktop
3. No taskpar/panels
4. No terminal access, have to go to next window
5. Can't even "Run command in VM" on dom0
6. Has window borders and titles that are too wasteful.
7. Can't change fonts via interface, can't alter appearance to be functional.

Drew White

Jul 1, 2016, 11:46:57 PM7/1/16
to qubes-users
At least I can run things using the alternate consoles in the GUI.
Even though it's a waste of time when you use 5 monitors, it's at least working.... I guess....

Drew White

Jul 1, 2016, 11:49:11 PM7/1/16
to qubes-users
4. No terminal access, have to go to next window

Well, at least I have a workaround for this. But it still needs a menu system.

Drew White

Jul 2, 2016, 12:01:32 AM7/2/16
to qubes-users
KDE crashes EVERY TIME I change the RAM of a guest.

Drew White

Jul 2, 2016, 12:06:08 AM7/2/16
to qubes-users
X is broken.

The upgrade to new version of KDE has destroyed all functionality.
X crashes every 2 seconds.
Kill it, and it just shows login screen, and it's run as ROOT instead of as the user.

Drew White

Jul 2, 2016, 4:02:11 AM7/2/16
to qubes-users
Qubes 3.2 = broken qubes.

I'll list the rest in time, no need to overload you with the bugs.

I wish it was at least tested before it came out to the public though.

cubit

Jul 2, 2016, 6:05:29 AM7/2/16
to Drew White, qubes-users
2. Jul 2016 08:02 by drew....@gmail.com:

I'll list the rest in time, no need to overload you with the bugs.

Now would be a good time. If you don't make the bugs know they may not be found until after 3.2 is released.

I wish it was at least tested before it came out to the public though.

3.2 is only a release candidate at the moment, it is not for public use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Release_candidate

Andrew David Wong

Jul 2, 2016, 9:53:47 AM7/2/16
to Drew White, qubes-users

Andrew David Wong

Jul 2, 2016, 9:58:56 AM7/2/16
to Drew White, qubes-users

Drew White

Jul 5, 2016, 3:22:48 AM7/5/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com
hi folks,

Thanks for the info, I thought it was already a release because it was already now out there and available.

On 2016-07-01 20:40, Drew White wrote:

> 1. During initial configuration, if you don't create the NetVMs
> because you want to set everything yourself, it has error running a
> command because no matter what, it will try to run the command on
> the sys-net and sys-firewall.

Thanks. Tracking here:

No problem, and excellent.

> 2. No desktop 3. No taskpar/panels

Sounds like this is already being tracked here:

This bug is only a small one, I don't think it's really a big bug at all.

Is it the normal way to set it to text login before starting X?
Or is there something else that needs to happen?

> 4. No terminal access, have to go to next window

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean. For example, is this
happening during the installer or on the desktop after installation?
What is "next window"?

Yes, incorrect terminology, I apologise, didn't know how else to explain it, but it's explained in the bug tracking.

> 5. Can't even "Run command in VM" on dom0

Can you elaborate? How are you trying to do that, and what (if
anything) is happening instead of the expected behavior?

I mean it doesn't have that option, it's disabled.

Drew White

Jul 5, 2016, 3:28:18 AM7/5/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com

On Saturday, 2 July 2016 23:58:56 UTC+10, Andrew David Wong wrote:
3.2-rc1 is a release candidate. The purpose of having a release
candidate is to test the release. It's available to the public so that
any members of the public who wish to test it may do so. If you do not
wish to test it, you should not do so.

Also, please note the warning on the download page immediately above
the R3.2-rc1 download links:

"This is a testing release. We appreciate your desire to help us test
Qubes. However, we recommend you use a current and supported release
for daily use."

Didn't see that, because I just went directly to the download area.

Then followed the download link, it currently says 3.1
Then found the link to the FTP directory.
Used that, then downloaded.

Couldn't see anything for 3.2 there.
If I scroll down I can see it there for the download.
But due to the design of the website, it doesn't show everything
immediately, and I already knew how to get to the directory, so
I did.

Such as life. I know now, and will keep it in mind to check for the
future times I download and such. Thanks.

Andrew David Wong

Jul 5, 2016, 5:41:53 AM7/5/16
to Drew White, qubes-users

Drew White

Jul 5, 2016, 8:58:36 AM7/5/16
On Tuesday, 5 July 2016 19:41:53 UTC+10, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> Oh, I see. You mean in Qubes Manager, when you right-click on dom0,
> the entry for "Run command in VM" is grayed out (along with almost
> every other entry), yes?
>
> That is normal, intended behavior. The intended way to run a command
> in dom0 is simply to open a terminal in dom0.
>
> We agree that this is confusing from a UX perspective, and we are
> working on it:
>
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1382

From a UX perspective, it's a simple thing to fix.
All you have to do is enable it and have it operational.
the only other way to do it from KDE is to open the run widget.
But when you have a bug in KDE where you can't do anything and have no terminal access, the 'run command in' is most beneficial.

As for not having them showing, easy as, if that's what you want.

So many things I see that you all are talking about doing, I see so many flaws, and so many good things too.

In MOST cases, you need to build it in for both ways around. To have and not have. To include and exclude. To show and hide.

I'm a functional person, not a wanky interface person. I'd rather have the run as there, that way I can just use that instead of having to open a terminal.
I normally have 15 terminals open anyway. several in Dom0, several in the NetVM, and at LEAST 1 in every other guest that I'm running.

Sometimes takes me 5 minutes to find a terminal to run something in, or just to get to the desktop space to get access to a terminal.. I'd rather just click on the Qubes Manager, Right click on Dom0, then run as. Only because often the run widget doesn't function the way I want it to with many things.

The latest KDE isn't built for functionality, it's built for wankyness. that's my opinion from seeing it the way it is these days, in Qubes 3.2 at least.

Please remember this... "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Qubes 3.1 still has a tonne of bugs that aren't fixed, and that's got a non RC version there in the downloads... Still with all the bugs...

Will 3.2 this time be fixed before moving on to a new version?
Will all the critical and important bugs that cause crashes be fixed before version 4 comes out?
Because there are still bugs in Qubes stemming from version 2.0 that are still there.

So I'm just curious.

WARNING: Don't misunderstand the way that all may sound. It's not actually sounding the way you may read it. Just because there is no vocals here means that things will be read the way the reader wishes to read it, and not be read the way it is intended to be read.

Drew White

Jul 5, 2016, 9:01:31 AM7/5/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com
On Tuesday, 5 July 2016 19:41:53 UTC+10, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> We agree that this is confusing from a UX perspective, and we are
> working on it:
>
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1382

Question... Why is it from so long ago and nothing has happenned about it?

Is it really that hard to alter a tiny tiny tiny bit of code?

Andrew David Wong

Jul 6, 2016, 10:57:06 AM7/6/16
to Drew White, qubes-users

Eva Star

Jul 6, 2016, 2:28:44 PM7/6/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

> Question... Why is it from so long ago and nothing has happenned about it?
>
> Is it really that hard to alter a tiny tiny tiny bit of code?

It's not rational to lose developers time on new features at old QM,
because of new Qubes Manager required to be implemented from scratch.

Drew White

Jul 6, 2016, 9:00:45 PM7/6/16
On Thursday, 7 July 2016 00:57:06 UTC+10, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> I'm not a coder, so I don't know. If you know the task to be an easy
> one, why not help us out by contributing the patch yourself?

If I was to make a patch for it, it would involve me fixing all the bugs in it, basically rewriting the whole thing by going through line by line of the whole code to find where things are going wrong.

Since you have already been talking about rewriting the whole thing anyway, I don't see the point in doing that.

I personally have already altered things that are annoyances in the qvm tools and other things to fix what I find to be very very very annoying, and which are things that if I couldn't change, I wouldn't be using Qubes, yet I was told they couldn't be changed because other things worked off it, and yet those things with exactly the same change made, worked fine. one line of code in tools after one area changed in one tool. Took me 5 minutes to make the change, but made everything so much cleaner in the menu system. The next thing is the Windows Main Menu reader, and fixing that up.

Iestyn Best

Jul 7, 2016, 7:50:21 PM7/7/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com

Hi Drew,

Glad to see you are getting Qubes to work the way you like/need.

Just curious, have you provided patches to the Qubes team with those changes?

I would be interested in seeing if your fixes could come through in the main release.

Regards,
Iestyn Best

Drew White

Jul 7, 2016, 8:14:02 PM7/7/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com

No, I have not provided them because I was told it would never be changed, and they would not change it because they had things that worked using the way it was. So they will not change it no matter what, because I proposed it to them before.

I'll be happy to provide the small things that I have done to change things for more easy menu, but in 3.2 we need the real menu back, not that THING they call a menu that isn't.