Qubes compability with HP Elitebook 820 G2 i5

minttu.hopeasuo

Sep 16, 2019, 9:07:40 AM9/16/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hej...

Any chance to get Q4 to work with this hardware?
(HP Elitebook 820 G2 i5 / 16GB RAM / 512 GB SSD)

I understood that it should meet the listed hardware requirements, but both 4.0.1 and 4.0.2-rc1 installer complains about missing VT-x / Immuo support.

Found some info in the forums that some hardware is identified wrong and some people have circumvented this via editing some parameters on the installer and recompiling it to get the installer working properly?

   - M
___

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

awokd

Sep 16, 2019, 5:34:49 PM9/16/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
'minttu.hopeasuo' via qubes-users:
> Hej...
>
> Any chance to get Q4 to work with this hardware?
> (HP Elitebook 820 G2 i5 / 16GB RAM / 512 GB SSD)
>
> I understood that it should meet the listed hardware requirements, but both 4.0.1 and 4.0.2-rc1 installer complains about missing VT-x / Immuo support.

Did you see
https://www.qubes-os.org/faq/#can-i-install-qubes-4x-on-a-system-without-vt-x-or-vt-d
(especially about checking UEFI config.)?

> Found some info in the forums that some hardware is identified wrong and some people have circumvented this via editing some parameters on the installer and recompiling it to get the installer working properly?

That's sometimes needed with UEFI boots, but sounds like you're getting
past that point already.

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

Franz

Sep 16, 2019, 8:24:35 PM9/16/19
to awokd, qubes-users
On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 6:34 PM 'awokd' via qubes-users <qubes...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
'minttu.hopeasuo' via qubes-users:
> Hej...
>
> Any chance to get Q4 to work with this hardware?
> (HP Elitebook 820 G2 i5 / 16GB RAM / 512 GB SSD)
>
> I understood that it should meet the listed hardware requirements, but both 4.0.1 and 4.0.2-rc1 installer complains about missing VT-x / Immuo support.

Did you see
https://www.qubes-os.org/faq/#can-i-install-qubes-4x-on-a-system-without-vt-x-or-vt-d
(especially about checking UEFI config.)?

> Found some info in the forums that some hardware is identified wrong and some people have circumvented this via editing some parameters on the installer and recompiling it to get the installer working properly?

That's sometimes needed with UEFI boots, but sounds like you're getting
past that point already.

The CPU of some machine supports vt-d, but the default BIOS does not. You may need to check if your BIOS requests to check a flag to allow vitualization.
best
--
- don't top post

Stumpy

Sep 18, 2019, 11:25:40 AM9/18/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:qubes-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/CAPzH-qCZmuA_EK12hWnQg%2BT2B3mRbrGW-jD2Ty9uLHOuTRZVVg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/CAPzH-qCZmuA_EK12hWnQg%2BT2B3mRbrGW-jD2Ty9uLHOuTRZVVg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

For what its worth Qubes 4 runs like a (fairly slow even with 16gb mem)
champ on my HP 8640p elitebook.