changing private storage size don't work

evo

Mar 14, 2017, 4:36:57 PM3/14/17
to qubes-users
Hi!

next strange thing :)

if i go to AppVM-Settings and want to change (to make it smaller) max
size of the private storage, it just change the old setting back... and
don't want to take my changes. wtf??

Andrew David Wong

Mar 14, 2017, 5:07:25 PM3/14/17
to evo, qubes-users

evo

Mar 14, 2017, 5:50:12 PM3/14/17
to Andrew David Wong, qubes-users

Am 14.03.2017 um 22:07 schrieb Andrew David Wong:
> On 2017-03-14 13:36, evo wrote:
>> Hi!
>
>> next strange thing :)
>
>> if i go to AppVM-Settings and want to change (to make it smaller)
>> max size of the private storage, it just change the old setting
>> back... and don't want to take my changes. wtf??
>

> Qubes Manager doesn't allow you to decrease the size, since this could
> irreparably destroy your data. If you want the AppVM to be smaller,
> you'll have to re-create it.

oh.. shit. So the fail was, to give too much space.
The recreation is not possible without deleting all the data on the VM,
isn't it? so i must delete the whole VM with data and then copy the data
again.... ppfff...

the thing is... is it really important, what is in the "max size"?
there stands 500GB now (it was a mistake with a zero :D) and i don't
have more than 120GB. But the data on this VM is not more than 20GB.
So will it make any problems, if i have 500GB in the "max size"?

Holger Levsen

Mar 14, 2017, 5:53:01 PM3/14/17
to evo, Andrew David Wong, qubes-users
On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:50:05PM +0100, evo wrote:
> there stands 500GB now (it was a mistake with a zero :D) and i don't
> have more than 120GB. But the data on this VM is not more than 20GB.
> So will it make any problems, if i have 500GB in the "max size"?

create a new vm now, with 25gb private storage. copy those important 20gb
over to that new vm, delete the 500gb vm.

:)

--
cheers,
Holger

evo

Mar 14, 2017, 6:07:13 PM3/14/17
to Andrew David Wong, qubes-users
okok, it would be better :)

Unman

Mar 15, 2017, 9:33:57 PM3/15/17
to evo, Andrew David Wong, qubes-users
I don't know if it's too late to save you some effort, but in fact it
really doesn't matter - all you have done is reserved space for that
500GB - if you don't use it then the disk file will remain small.

You can see this by looking at the files in dom0:
look in /var/lib/qubes/appvms
ls -lsSh will show you the true size of the files - you'll see that
there's a considerable difference, so you can safely leave your 500GB
file as is.(Unless you think that you might just keep writing to it
until you fill the 120GB without realising, in which case you should
protect yourself from foolishness by acting now.)

unman