R4 rc4 - Whonix System Time Error

sebuq

Feb 14, 2018, 5:33:03 AM2/14/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
The virgin whonix templates issue with official Qubes R4 rc4 downloads
did not result in errors via whonixcheck. However after updating the
whonix-gw template a get the following system time error:

ERROR: Systemd Clock Check Result:
Unexpected results by timedatectl.
timedatectl_output_pretty:
Local time: Wed 2018-02-14 10:25:33 UTC
Universal time: Wed 2018-02-14 10:25:33 UTC
RTC time: n/a
Time zone: Etc/UTC (UTC, +0000)
NTP enabled: yes
NTP synchronized: no
RTC in local TZ: no
DST active: n/a
It is generally recommended to keep the default as per Whonix Design.
[1] If you did not change timezone related settings, please report this
Whonix bug. If you know what you are doing and changed this on purpose,
feel free to disable this check. [2]

[1] https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/Design-Shared#timezone
[2] Create a file /etc/whonix.d/50_whonixcheck_user and add:
whonixcheck_skip_functions+=" check_systemd_clock "

brenda...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2018, 12:36:37 PM2/14/18
to qubes-users

I have seen the same, but it the sys-whonix vm still manages to connect...

Brendan

awokd

Feb 16, 2018, 6:58:08 AM2/16/18
to brenda...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Wed, February 14, 2018 5:36 pm, brenda...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 5:33:03 AM UTC-5, sebuq wrote:
>
>> The virgin whonix templates issue with official Qubes R4 rc4 downloads
>> did not result in errors via whonixcheck. However after updating the
>> whonix-gw template a get the following system time error:
>>
>> ERROR: Systemd Clock Check Result:
>> Unexpected results by timedatectl.

> I have seen the same, but it the sys-whonix vm still manages to
> connect...

I noticed this too on a recent update. Looked like sdwdate was running-
this often gives me spurious dates/times. There appears to be a systemd
control option intended to disable it under Qubes but it didn't seem to be
firing. Maybe check over on the Whonix forum/Github and see if someone has
already reported it? Am planning to debug further when I get a bit of
time.