How much RAM does the dom0, sys-firewall and sys-whonix "normally" use ?

Mar 15, 2020, 4:54:10 AM3/15/20
to qubes-users
How much RAM does the dom0, sys-firewall and sys-whonix "normally" use ?

I ask because these VM's seems to use quite a lot of RAM on my PC (of cause a little more or less depending on the activity level):

dom0: About 4000 MB
sys-firewall: About 3000 MB
sys-whonix: About 4000 MB

That means just those three VM's use about 11000 MB of ram.

sys-net: About 400 MB
sys-usb: About 300 MB

Sum: About 700 MB

Sum so far: About 12000 MB

This is when I only have one other Fedora VM open which use about 4000 MB of RAM (and that is when I only use Firefox).

That means about 16000 MB of RAM used.

If I open the file manager in another Fedora VM it uses about 2000 MB and if I instead open the Firefox browser in this VM it uses about 3000 MB of RAM.

In the last scenario the RAM use for all open VM's is as follow:

dom0: About 4000 MB
sys-firewall: About 1600 MB
sys-whonix: About 2200 MB
sys-net: About 400 MB
sys-usb: About 300 MB
Fedora VM: About 4000 MB
Fedora VM: About 3000 MB

SUM: About 15500 MB of RAM

Sometimes I experience my untrusted Fedora VM stall. I assume it's because of to little amount of RAM at disposal. But I'm not sure.

In this PC I got 16 GB of RAM, but wonder if I shall install at least 16 GB more.

And if this is normally behavior, it seems to me that the recommendation in relation to RAM should be 32 GB of RAM instead of only 16 GB, although the used amount of RAM for some VM's varies according to the amount of RAM at disposal.

Does your Qubes OS 4.0.3 use about the same amount of RAM as mine, and do you also sometimes experience that your Firefox browser stall ?

Mar 15, 2020, 4:56:55 AM3/15/20
to qubes-users
By "stall" or "stalling" I mean freeze.

Jackie

Mar 15, 2020, 7:16:29 PM3/15/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
'M' via qubes-users:
Hi,

VMs will generally use as much RAM as they're allowed to, even though
they really don't need all that RAM. So i lower the max memory of my VMs
to something a bit more reasonable.

For sys VMs if max memory is above 512 MB i set it to 512. Sys-firewall
and sys-whonix and other sys VMs really don't need more than that. (IIRC
sys-net and sys-usb are set lower than that by default.)

Templates i also set low because all you're doing in templates is updating.

For app VMs it depends on what i'll be doing in it. An app VM used for
web browsing i'll usually set to 2048 MB, others are usually 1024 or 512
depending on what they'll be used for, and you can always set it higher
as needed.

And there's a way to change the memory allocated to dom0 too, i don't
remember how but it's been posted about on the list before.

(Oh and as far as i know it's totally not necessary to set max mem to
power of 2 values like i do, that's just the way i like to do it lol)