HCL -- Intel NUC10i7 issues with kernel-latest

Alex Smirnoff

Dec 25, 2020, 6:04:35 PM12/25/20
to qubes-users
5.9.14 does not make it to X11 (empty screen with cursor). 5.8.16 works just fine.

tv.f...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2021, 3:37:03 PM1/2/21
to qubes-users
Yeah,

I think I'm having the same issue - I do see the login screen, but the upper half of the screen is just black. Switching to console and back fixes that and I can log in, but then there' are random glitches on parts of the screen/windows, etc. Disabling compositor mostly fixed that, but not 100%.

How did you install the 5.8.16 kernel? When I do something like

$ qubes-dom0-update kernel-lateat-5.8.16

it shows me the package, downloads it, but then it tells me "no package kernel-latest-5.8.16 available" so I'm a bit confused.

I'm currently running on 4.19.155 which works, but I'm not sure it fully supports the new CPU in the laptop (mainly the power management).

regards

awokd

Jan 4, 2021, 5:40:02 PM1/4/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
tv.f...@gmail.com:

> How did you install the 5.8.16 kernel? When I do something like
>
> $ qubes-dom0-update kernel-lateat-5.8.16
>
> it shows me the package, downloads it, but then it tells me "no package
> kernel-latest-5.8.16 available" so I'm a bit confused.

See https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-dom0/#kernel-upgrade.
Should be something like "sudo qubes-dom0-update kernel-latest". Might
also want kernel-latest-qubes-vm.

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

haaber

Jan 5, 2021, 2:50:38 AM1/5/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 1/4/21 11:39 PM, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
> tv.f...@gmail.com:
>
>> How did you install the 5.8.16 kernel? When I do something like
>>
>> $ qubes-dom0-update kernel-lateat-5.8.16
>>
>> it shows me the package, downloads it, but then it tells me "no package
>> kernel-latest-5.8.16 available" so I'm a bit confused.

EXAMPLE:

sudo qubes-dom0-update kernel-latest-1000:5.9.14-1.qubes.x86_64
--enablerepo=qubes-dom0-unstable

simply change numbers to your wanted kernel version.

0spin...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2021, 5:08:16 PM1/5/21
to qubes-users
if you only have the main qubes repo enabled, running qubes-dom0-update kernel-latest should install v5.8.16. 5.9 and upcoming 5.10 builds can be found in current-testing, though the latter has yet to land.