Windows 7 Install Hangs At Starting Page

david...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2016, 6:59:04 AM11/24/16
to qubes-users
I just get the "Starting Windows" and the glowing logo on a black screen. Left it for an hour, nothing else happens.

I found this which doesn't seem relevant (or if it is I can't make the connection) :

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-users/starting$20windows$20hang%7Csort:relevance/qubes-users/2q19jFeTFGk/DgL6a67_CAAJ

Is there anything generally I should be looking for?

Thanks,

david...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2016, 7:00:40 AM11/24/16
to qubes-users, david...@gmail.com
Just to add - Windows Home Premium, 64bit. All linux VMs work fine.

Opal Raava

Nov 24, 2016, 7:28:06 AM11/24/16
to qubes-users

I have win 7 as my windows HVM, if I remember correctly, you need to have windows 7, and not windows home. The windows-tools-package that qubes uses is only for win 7. There is a great page on all this at:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-appvms/

David Wylie

Nov 24, 2016, 7:51:57 AM11/24/16
to qubes-users
Hi - it is W7 Home Premium (I said it in the title but missed the 7 out in the body, apologies).

Followed all the links I can find on the Qubes website, including that one.

Installed windows-tools from the current-testing repo.

One thing I am doing is loading the iso from another VM (as documented here :

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/hvm/

It finds it fine, and as I say gets as far as that starting page, but then nothing. I have to Kill VM to stop it.

David Wylie

Nov 24, 2016, 8:08:23 AM11/24/16
to qubes-users
Looking at the log file (which I can't copy/paste - shift-ctl-v & ctl_v just doesn't copy the log file contents like it says it will), the last entry is

vga s->lfb_addr = f0000000 s->lfb_end = f1000000

Don't know if that helps.

Scot Anderson

Nov 24, 2016, 11:32:58 AM11/24/16
to qubes-users

That seems suspiciously like problems with the vga emulation. Did you try the fix in the thread you linked?

David Wylie

Nov 24, 2016, 12:10:20 PM11/24/16
to qubes-users
I didn't follow the instructions properly. I modified the existing conf file which gets overwritten. I copied it as per the instructions and it all works as it should.

I hereby offer myself to be roundly whipped through the streets of Aberdeen.

Apologies, and thanks.

pixel...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2017, 9:55:17 PM1/5/17
to qubes-users
I am having the same issue but I never modified any 'conf file'. I am attempting to install Windows 7 Pro 64bit. The VM starts and I get the "Starting Windows" animating/glowing icon, which loops forever but no progress ever gets made beyond that.

I am at a loss as what to do, seeing that I've followed all instructions carefully and have no interactivity at this stage of the process. Thanks.

01v3g4n10

Jan 5, 2017, 10:08:16 PM1/5/17
to qubes-users, pixel...@gmail.com
On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 2:55:17 AM UTC, pixel...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am having the same issue but I never modified any 'conf file'. I am attempting to install Windows 7 Pro 64bit. The VM starts and I get the "Starting Windows" animating/glowing icon, which loops forever but no progress ever gets made beyond that.
>
> I am at a loss as what to do, seeing that I've followed all instructions carefully and have no interactivity at this stage of the process. Thanks.

I was having the same issue, but these instructions worked for me.

pixel...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2017, 10:10:55 PM1/5/17
to qubes-users, pixel...@gmail.com
Just noticed your reply a bit down the list...will try that 16 step procedure and see if it works. Thanks!!