Monitor all processes

mj.j...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2020, 3:11:13 AM10/14/20
to qubes-users
Hi, im aware that the answer to this question might be the whole reason qubes compartmentalizes everything into virtual machines........or just 'no', but I was wondering is there a way to give a single qube read-only permission over all qubes on the computer?  so I can run something like htop on a debian machine, see a process thats bogging down my system, so I can go to that particular vm and kill the application?

I want to creat a 'Monitor' VM with absolutely no internet capability using debian (i started learning Linux with Ubuntu, then moved onto Kali and Arch, now im experimenting with Raspbian, so im much more familiar with debian than Fedora).  I want to have all my supervisory programs on this VM, but simply peering thru the looking glass as it were.  I found xentop on the qubes terminal helpful, but that only tells me if a particular qube is peaking CPU or memory usage, not what process is killing my performance.

Im pretty new to qubes os, so if anyone has some ideas on other cli utilites on the qubes terminal, or any other suggestions, Id be happy to entertain them.  I recently built this system to be a linux machine.  After using second-hand laptops, computers found in the trash can, and random computer parts to see just how crappy a system will run linux lite, i decided to actually build a system from scratch.  I also bought a Pi4 kit, and running everything thru an HDMI selector into my tv that i use as a monitor.  so thanks to anyone who has an idea!

-Josh Nuevo-

prei...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2020, 8:58:51 PM10/14/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

I have no idea if that is possible.  But since you asked for any ideas, I too sometimes have an app in a VM that is taking all the resources that I'd like to kill (typically a browser), and I've found it useful to run a console from dom0 into that VM using virsh.  I start a console into each likely VM that might have an issue.

from dom0:

virsh --quiet -c xen:/// console VM

In the console I login, and run top.  I have better success killing a runaway app this way then with gnome-terminal running in the VM.  I move those consoles to another virtual desktop to keep them out of the way, but available if needed.

Peter

awokd

Oct 27, 2020, 3:22:18 PM10/27/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
prei...@gmail.com:
> On 10/14/20 3:11 AM, mj.j...@gmail.com wrote:

>> I want to creat a 'Monitor' VM with absolutely no internet capability
>> using debian (i started learning Linux with Ubuntu, then moved onto
>> Kali and Arch, now im experimenting with Raspbian, so im much more
>> familiar with debian than Fedora). I want to have all my supervisory
>> programs on this VM, but simply peering thru the looking glass as it
>> were.  I found xentop on the qubes terminal helpful, but that only
>> tells me if a particular qube is peaking CPU or memory usage, not what
>> process is killing my performance.

There might be some way to develop something like that if you really had
to, but finding the problem VM with xl top/xentop then drilling into it
to see process details is the "standard" way...

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions