HCL - Intel NUC10i7FNK

Max Andersen

Apr 13, 2020, 2:07:16 PM4/13/20
to qubes-users

Hi everyone,

NUC's are promising. 64GB memory with 1TB NVMe is acceptable for a Qubes installation and takes up zero space.

Got 800x600 with the 4.19 kernel. no wifi. Upgraded kernel to 5.5.13-1 and got my 4K monitor working. no wifi. wifi device flapping for a few minutes, then stop. Hoping for some upgrades at some point.

Runs current-testing repo.

Sincerely

Max

Qubes-HCL-Intel_R__Client_Systems-NUC10i7FNK-20200413-194233.cpio.gz
Qubes-HCL-Intel_R__Client_Systems-NUC10i7FNK-20200413-194233.yml

Günter Zöchbauer

Apr 14, 2020, 1:01:09 AM4/14/20
to qubes-users
I tried the predecessor NUC8i7 and it made a lot of noise every time it had to do more than showing the plain desktop.

I'm back to a proper desktop PC where fans only start getting noisy when a job runs on multiple cores full load for several minutes.

m...@militant.dk

Apr 19, 2020, 4:10:06 PM4/19/20
to qubes-users
tirsdag den 14. april 2020 kl. 07.01.09 UTC+2 skrev Günter Zöchbauer:
I tried the predecessor NUC8i7 and it made a lot of noise every time it had to do more than showing the plain desktop.

I'm back to a proper desktop PC where fans only start getting noisy when a job runs on multiple cores full load for several minutes.

I understand why, but it is not an issue for me, since I have small children :). The latest BIOS update did turn out for the better, and you can actually select "Quiet" in the BIOS. I run around 6-9 AppVM's with different specs.It is a noisy fan, though.

The big issue is support for the firmware, because Intel, bless their apparently black hearts, only support Windows on the machines, so I am hoping for better support soon. Wireless, sound, does not work and my Windows HVM shuts down unexpectedly after a few minutes.

Can't recommend it yet. running the latest 5.6.4-1 and it works apparently fast and nice, except for the flapping wireless, no sound a missing all USB. Nice graphics and speed.

Sincerely
Max

Zhao Jx

Jul 24, 2020, 11:51:39 AM7/24/20
to qubes-users

在 2020年4月14日星期二 UTC+8上午2:07:16,Max Andersen写道:
Thanks for the post!
I also have nuc 10i7fnk. but I have problems installing qubes OS 4.0.  I hope I can get answers from you.
I Set legecy mode, security booting off, use USB stick to install OS.
The following warning maseges&error is displayed when installing.
"WARN anaconda: /usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/pyanaconda/pwpolicy.py:101:PendingDeprecationWarning: add_option is deprecated and will be removed in pykickstart-3.  Use add_argument instead.
   op.add.option("--minlen",type="int")
WARN anaconda.stdout:Not asking for VNC because we don't have a network
WARN anaconda:X startup failed: Xorg exited with status 1
WARN anaconda.stdout:X startup failed,aborting installation
ERR anaconda.stdout:X startup failed, aboting installation"

Do I miss setting something in bios or do I need to install the OS with DVD?
Thanks a lot!

Max Andersen

Jul 24, 2020, 2:01:26 PM7/24/20
to Zhao Jx, qubes-users

I recently moved to Xubuntu on this device, since QubesOS suddenly would not boot anymore. Just hung and my 4K support dissapeared suddenly a few weeks prior to that.

I am sorry it's such a hassle. Kali, Ubuntu, etc. has no issues with wireless so it seems to be Qubes specific.

Good luck. You will need it.

Sincerely

Max

zhao...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2020, 11:18:30 PM7/24/20
to qubes-users
Thank you ! I realy need it!  :)

zhao...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2020, 6:35:27 AM7/27/20
to qubes-users
I've tried booting the NUC10 in UEFI mode ,then it worked!