can't download qubes 4.0 how to raise 4.3gb download limit.

cooloutac

Mar 19, 2018, 8:00:06 PM3/19/18
to qubes-users
Can't download qubes 4.0 not enough space. tried to raise system storage size on template through qubes manager. messag said I might have use resize2f. tried that didn't do antyhing. Tried to use qvm-grow-root it staid to start template to complete process but it also didn't change.

in vm settings it shows the size I specified, but when running nautlius and looking at the space or doing df -h it is still only 4.3gb out of 10.5 available.
I've never downloaded a file this large in qubes so never ran into this problem. Only thing I ever had to increase was private storage. I have this issue with all templates.

Qubes 3.2 iso must be under the limit so I was able to download that iso but can't donload 4.0 it is too large and fails to download.

Is there any detailed step by step instructions because I'm obviously doing something wrong?

Ty for the help.

Rich.

awokd

Mar 19, 2018, 8:31:44 PM3/19/18
to cooloutac, qubes-users
On Tue, March 20, 2018 12:00 am, cooloutac wrote:

> I've never downloaded a file this large in qubes so never ran into this
> problem. Only thing I ever had to increase was private storage. I have
> this issue with all templates.

All you should have to do is increase private storage in the AppVM you're
using for the download, not the templates.
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/resize-disk-image/

Yuraeitha

Mar 20, 2018, 9:55:40 AM3/20/18
to qubes-users

It should work just fine in Qubes 4 from the GUI VM-Settings, so it shouldn't mean you need to do anything overly complicated. However, as memory serves, back in Qubes 3.2. you could resize VM's while the VM was running. This is no longer the case in Qubes 4 where you need to shut it down first before you can change it. Just in case this might be a factor, remember to shut it down first.

Unman

Mar 20, 2018, 11:10:52 AM3/20/18
to cooloutac, qubes-users
Rich, can you confirm you're using 3.2?

How are you downloading the iso?
Are you doing this as root or user?
Where are you trying to download it to?

As you have enough space in /home my guess is that you are using /tmp
or /dev/shm
If you run df in the qube you're using WHILE the download is running,
you should see the free space moving down as the download progresses.
Can you check this and report back?

cooloutac

Mar 20, 2018, 11:05:21 PM3/20/18
to qubes-users

doesn't work. maybe a temp folder size is too small in root.

cooloutac

Mar 20, 2018, 11:14:33 PM3/20/18
to qubes-users

Yes i'm definitely using 3.2.

it starts off as 4.3 or 4.7 available I believe available out of 10.5gb. no matter what I set private storage to. its the system storage. I remember marek showing how to increase the temp file storage size when having a diff issue a few qubes versions ago, when I use to have the issue of playing long video streams cutting off using fedora. I forget how maybe similar issue here? But it doesn't matter which appvm or template I use.

and yes i can see the available space slowly doing down as downloading. using df-h or just watching in file manager.

I'm trying to download the iso from any vm, using any template. loading firefox or google chrome and clicking on the iso. they all have the same problem. I'd really have ot hate to use some other operating system just to download 4.0, almost seems like a joke on qubes users, that the extra 100mb's puts me over the top and it fails to download lol.

I mean I do have media qubes with 100s of gbs of data in there. But they were copied to vms from usb devices and I did have to increase private storage size. this seems to be a diff issue.

Unman

Mar 21, 2018, 9:23:38 AM3/21/18
to cooloutac, qubes-users
I'm a little confused by what you are saying - what does "its the system
storage" mean?
Can you post the output from 'df -h ', and also what value you have set the
private storage to .

I recommend that you use a single qube for this, rather thsan trying
many templates and many qubes. It will really help with troubleshooting
your problem.
So please say also what template you are using and whether you are using
testing repos.

Yuraeitha

Mar 21, 2018, 10:16:01 AM3/21/18
to qubes-users

You must be concise in describing what you're trying to do. Are you refuting the normal method to increase the AppVM's size, in favor for some old method from several Qubes versions back?

I apologize for the rude question, but at this point it needs to be asked. Is this an attempt to try preserve old habits instead of trying to build new habits? Are you getting stuck in old ways of doing things, which may no longer be supported/working?

cooloutac

Mar 21, 2018, 11:34:31 AM3/21/18
to qubes-users

when you download a file from the internet using a browser it uses temp storage. Can you tell me how to increase it please!?!?! I can't fine Mareks old post telling me how to do it from the commandline in the past. The bug I used to have when playing long streams was fixed. But Now apparently a similar problem is back when Trying to download this 4.0 iso.

I could never stand your posts on this "forum", and if you are the main dev on this project now it might be time to abandon Qubes-os.

cooloutac

Mar 21, 2018, 11:37:21 AM3/21/18
to qubes-users

It has nothing to do with private storage. What os did you use to download your qubes 4.0 image?

cooloutac

Mar 21, 2018, 11:53:16 AM3/21/18
to qubes-users
Also, it happens with any template with any browser. Why do I have to say that again. Just pick any one and use that for your "troubleshooting". Everytime I see your name now I want to break my fucking computer screen.

Pick a default template. Pick any fkn browser and tell me how to download qubes 4.0 without it failing due to not enough temporary space.

only testing repo I use is the security one.

cooloutac

Mar 21, 2018, 12:10:00 PM3/21/18
to qubes-users
Or don't even respond to me anymore. It already seems like most of ITL team abandoned Qubes. I still think most of us got our hardware compromised over a year ago due to that bad dom0 update, which got my bank account hacked, right before intel patched their hardware and right before Joanna came out with the suggestion of paranoid mode. Call me paranoid if you want but I think its maybe time I stopped bothering with Qubes.

Only reason I'm still using it is for convenience. But it seems to be getting less and less convenient.

Seems like Qubes is aimed at enterprises now instead of regular home users. And ITL's philosophy keeps changing. Richard Stall man even supports secure boot saying its good for security usage since its failed its intended purpose..lol. But Joanna is sounding more and more like this nut Tai that keeps posting on here.

And Now not being able to download the 4.0 iso from Qubes itself is like a fkn joke on its users.

I guess its like that guy who left qubes-whonix said. It just became a "cool tech experiment" and that seems to be the only people left using it. Its no longer anything serious or practical for a home family.

cooloutac

Mar 21, 2018, 12:27:16 PM3/21/18
to qubes-users
maybe simply sudo mount -o remount,size=5000M /tmp will work. I'll try it when I get a chance to use the qubes machine. But I think the problem is I need to increase the whole system storage. And Uman is refusing to tell me how. The qubes instructions dont' give detailed instructions. they just give the qvm-grow-root command.

I find it strange uman asks me what I mean by system storage and Asks me if I'm using root user lol wtf...

cooloutac

Mar 21, 2018, 12:34:52 PM3/21/18
to qubes-users
I'm trying to figure out when UMAN became very active here. If it was 2 years ago I'm fkn ghost. Qubes is done...

Unman

Mar 21, 2018, 2:06:01 PM3/21/18
to cooloutac, qubes-users
Using a Debian-9 template, firefox downloads to ~/Downloads. It doesnt
touch temporary storage. But you can change this under Preferences.

To increase the size of /tmp or /dev/shm:
sudo mount -o remount,size=4096M /dev/shm

Alternatively, create a directory under /:
sudo mkdir /down
sudo chown user:user /down

And set that as target for Downloads in user preferences.

> I could never stand your posts on this "forum", and if you are the main dev on this project now it might be time to abandon Qubes-os.

I'm not

Unman

Mar 21, 2018, 2:29:29 PM3/21/18
to cooloutac, qubes-users
On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 09:27:15AM -0700, cooloutac wrote:
> maybe simply sudo mount -o remount,size=5000M /tmp will work. I'll try it when I get a chance to use the qubes machine. But I think the problem is I need to increase the whole system storage. And Uman is refusing to tell me how. The qubes instructions dont' give detailed instructions. they just give the qvm-grow-root command.

If you're using a Template based appVM then you need to resize the
root.img of the Template - that's what the error message tells you if
you use qvm-grow-root on such a qube.
You'll need to resize the template and shut it down and then restart the
qube to see the new size.

That command you've cited will work for resizing /tmp and /dev/shm.

> I find it strange uman asks me what I mean by system storage and Asks me if I'm using root user lol wtf...

I didn't ask if you were using root to run the download. Obviously I should have
done.

Unman

Mar 21, 2018, 2:37:45 PM3/21/18
to cooloutac, qubes-users
On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 09:34:51AM -0700, cooloutac wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out when UMAN became very active here. If it was 2 years ago I'm fkn ghost. Qubes is done...

If you look back you'll see I infiltrated the project 3 years ago.

Started using Qubes 7 years ago - sleeper for 4 years and activated by
my handler after 4 years. Oops, probably shouldn't have said that.

cooloutac

Mar 21, 2018, 9:16:49 PM3/21/18
to qubes-users

ya thats what I thought, haven't got a chance to try that command yet. Although 4096 will be too small for the iso...

And I think you're wrong. Firefox .part files are first saved to /tmp. Maybe I can change this though in its settings I will look. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1195088 I don't want to do anything permanent though which is why I will try first the above command i mentioned in the appvm.

cooloutac

Mar 21, 2018, 9:17:55 PM3/21/18
to qubes-users

As I've said I already did this. and restarted the template. and saw no change.

And why would I use root user? You did ask me this and what does that even mean there is no root in qubes appvm??

cooloutac

Mar 21, 2018, 9:18:53 PM3/21/18
to qubes-users

3 years ago, not two. hmm Maybe it took you a year... Whoever your handler is made a big mistake.

Steve Coleman

Mar 22, 2018, 12:08:31 PM3/22/18
to qubes-users
On 03/21/18 11:37, cooloutac wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 10:16:01 AM UTC-4, Yuraeitha wrote:

What I do is to use an external USB drive reformatted as an ext4 volume,
use qvm-block to attach it to the download vm, Nautilus in that vm to
mount it, and then have firefox in that VM save it directly to that
external volume. This makes it easy to transfer that entire volume to
where the DVD writer can burn that image and thus it has no long lasting
effects with growing or changing any VM's file systems. You can even use
a DVM to do the download. The trick is to make sure the filesystem type
on that device does not have the screwy 4GB file size limitation.

cooloutac

Mar 22, 2018, 3:47:31 PM3/22/18
to qubes-users

I might have to try this Steve thankyou for the reply.

Increasing /tmp, or /dev/shm doesn't do anything. It seems to be all about the /dev/mapper/dmroot which I still dont' know how to increase. As you can see from my df -h results:

/dev/mapper/dmroot 9.8G 5.4G 4.0G 58% /
/dev/xvdd 477M 286M 166M 64% /usr/lib/modules/4.14.13-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64
devtmpfs 141M 0 141M 0% /dev
tmpfs 1.0G 65M 960M 7% /dev/shm
tmpfs 149M 692K 149M 1% /run
tmpfs 149M 0 149M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 4.9G 11M 4.9G 1% /tmp
tmpfs 30M 16K 30M 1% /run/user/1000
[user@fedora-26-clone-untrusted-dvm ~]$ df -h
/dev/mapper/dmroot 9.8G 5.8G 3.5G 63% /
/dev/xvdd 477M 286M 166M 64% /usr/lib/modules/4.14.13-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64
devtmpfs 141M 0 141M 0% /dev
tmpfs 1.0G 33M 992M 4% /dev/shm
tmpfs 149M 744K 149M 1% /run
tmpfs 149M 0 149M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 4.9G 11M 4.9G 1% /tmp
tmpfs 30M 24K 30M 1% /run/user/1000

You can see I indeed increased the /tmp file size in the disposable vm. but as I'm downloading its going to /dev/mapper/dmroot... Every vm is like this by default in 3.2 it seems? I will try your method of setting firefox to save the file to the attached usb drive and see if it changes anything.

cooloutac

Mar 22, 2018, 3:56:25 PM3/22/18
to qubes-users
On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 12:08:31 PM UTC-4, steve.coleman wrote:

Steve I can already tell this is doing the trick, tyvm! I appreciate the tip.

I still think its like some sick joke being played on qubes 3.2 users. That the 4.0 iso is 100mb larger then the temporary space available.... what is up with that? seriously... I'm talking even with a fresh default template. its 4.2 / 10.5gb available...

Ajoke Sort of like Uman telling me to make the /tmp 4096M. Which still would have been again just short of the iso... I mean come on.... Are the devs just trying to get us to stop using Qubes for some reason!?!

cooloutac

Mar 22, 2018, 4:03:58 PM3/22/18
to qubes-users

Uman even with a fresh template, and a fresh non disposable vm. This is the issue. Someone is playing jokes on users.

I was seriously at the point of just going back to buying a cheap machine for dedicated banking booting up a hardened linux cd like the US Airfirce Tens, formerly known as lps.

I already suspect my qubes is compromised. But I'm even more paranoid about using my windows or bare bones linux machines to download the iso lol. no matter how I verify it. I'm so paranoid I'm going to delete and recreate the sys-usb qube just to use to attach this fresh usb stick I have to dd the iso.

I'm open to any suggestions for an even safer way...

But thanks again Steve.

cooloutac

Mar 22, 2018, 4:10:39 PM3/22/18
to qubes-users
I was wrong it didn't work. failed at 4.3gb again. wait its not ext4 like you suggested its a fat 32 disk. let me try again.....#^&!@^*^($*&()#$

cooloutac

Mar 22, 2018, 4:40:48 PM3/22/18
to qubes-users
didn't work, even with the usb formatted as ext4. and me watching its avaialable space go down as I downloaded, and nothing changing on the root or appvm space, the 4.0 iso failed again at 4.3gb...lmao

awokd

Mar 22, 2018, 5:43:40 PM3/22/18
to cooloutac, qubes-users
Towards the beginning of this thread, I linked a document about how to
grow your root/template space. It sounds like you might have missed a step
so you may want to review it again. Let me know if anything is unclear so
I can suggest more edits if needed.

Might be worth trying to download the ISO from a non-Qubes machine just in
case there's a problem with your network.

Roughly 5000 people have managed to download and install Qubes 4.0.
Hopefully you'll be able to join them soon.

cooloutac

Mar 22, 2018, 5:45:27 PM3/22/18
to qubes-users
well it turns out when I formatted the usb to ext4 with gparted it made it owned by root. Wish I would of known that...

So I did sudo chown user:user on it.

I also might of forgot to set the downloads directory to the usb again when loading another dispvm.

But now it turns out I can't even attach the usb anymore to a dispvm without it freezing, wonder if thats cause its ext4 now. even after rebooting the machine... wow..

Steve are you in cahoots with Uman? haha just kidding.... i hope.

Now I'm using a non disposable appvm to try and download it onto the usb stick...crossing my fingers.

cooloutac

Mar 22, 2018, 9:25:18 PM3/22/18
to qubes-users
Well Steve it worked. after formatting the usb to ext, changing ownership of it to user, and using a non disposable template browser. I was able to download the 4.4gb iso to it.

Still not something the avg user would know how to do, but Qubes is no longer aimed at the average user it seems. Your solution was simple enough for me at least.

So Thank you again.

cooloutac

Mar 22, 2018, 9:32:42 PM3/22/18
to qubes-users

You were the one telling me the debian-9 template was in the repos. When even the Qubes docs themselves stated it clearly wasn't. So no offense. But just like most of those 5000 people, you are obviously not a sole Qubes user either. Just another cool tech experiment tester.

Dual booting also means this is just a "cool tech experiment" to you.

I'm talking for people right now who use qubes 3.2 as their sole operating machine for everything in their life. Which probably almost noone in this thread does. Yuraitha included.

Maybe Uman does, not sure, but he probably drives away as much people as he helps. I don't even trust him. I really like most of your posts awokd and you are very helpful to users. Don't go down Umans path.

If Qubes goal is still really to become a household operating system and not just enterprise software. Then they need to start realizing simple things like being able to download the latest version of their own os from within their own os should be trivial.

cooloutac

Mar 22, 2018, 9:41:13 PM3/22/18
to qubes-users

Just to clarify in case not obvious, i meant from the appvm browser, not from within the template.

I would like to upgrade to 4.0 just to see if I still get the same disposable vm problems, but I have a feeling I would find more bugs and worry it will be way less user friendly for my family. Some of which need the use of the pc for important matters at the moment. But at least now I have it downloaded and know how to download it in the future.

awokd

Mar 23, 2018, 3:46:51 AM3/23/18
to cooloutac, qubes-users
On Fri, March 23, 2018 1:32 am, cooloutac wrote:

> You were the one telling me the debian-9 template was in the repos. When
> even the Qubes docs themselves stated it clearly wasn't. So no offense.
> But just like most of those 5000 people, you are obviously not a sole
> Qubes user either. Just another cool tech experiment tester.
>

> Dual booting also means this is just a "cool tech experiment" to you.

Your conclusions are not supported by the facts in evidence. An
alternative explanation for my not knowing debian-9 was not in the 3.2
repo could be I'd installed it so long ago on my daily driver, I forgot
where I got it from (although I still swear it was in the repo at some
point).

Similarly, I'm not sure how you came to your conclusion about Unman. In
this thread at least, he seems to be trying to help although many of your
emails have not been lacking in attitude. I get you were frustrated by the
problem you were having, but don't forget the saying about flies and
honey/vinegar.

haaber

Mar 23, 2018, 4:31:27 AM3/23/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> I'm talking for people right now who use qubes 3.2 as their sole operating machine for everything in their life.
> Which probably almost noone in this thread does. Yuraitha included.
Here is a counterexample: I did it for one year, now I use exclusively
Q4 on my sole machine.

> Maybe Uman does, not sure, but he probably drives away as much people as he helps. I don't even trust him. I really like most of your posts awokd and you are very helpful to users. Don't go down Umans path.
You sound upset and bitter, and I am sorry about that. I did not see any
questionable answer from Unman (but I don't read all mails either): he
is often very brief, but this seems to me a question of efficiency: he
answers many questions, I understand well that he won't write long texts
unless necessary. What exactly do you refer to when saying " Don't go
down Umans path.", please ? Bernhard

cooloutac

Mar 23, 2018, 10:18:38 AM3/23/18
to qubes-users

The thing is you were suggesting me to do something you've never done yourself. That was my point. I try never to do that unless stating so. I doubt Qubes is your sole operating machine, and I doubt you downloaded Qubes 4.0 on it. Same goes for Yuratheia. And thats fine, nothing wrong with that.

As for Unman, hes a typical rude linux guy. Hes less rude from when he first started posting here, he used to be even worse believe it or not. But I still can't stand him. Qubes and the itl team themselves started to change when he started posting on here.

Qubes os itself is becoming less and less "user friendly" Maybe just a coincidence? lol But pretty soon my family will no longer be able to use it. So their original goal of being a house hold name is already gone with the wind!

I love Marek he never shows emotion. and Joanna might be considered rude lmao, but she tells it like it is, and shes not afraid to say what everyone else is afraid to say. The things I wish so called security researchers would have the balls to say. And they don't play games!! and they don't care about industry politics!! They use to post alot here but it seems they have to concentrate on their day jobs now and if its guys like Unman influencing everything now. Qubes future is in trouble.

Even the guys name gives me the creeps. Is he undoing man? Is he not really human? lol. Did his handler mistakenly implant an anarchist to sabotage? who knows.

he just told me to make the temp file 4096M after I told him 4.3gb was already too small... Hes asks me if I'm using root, then denies he did. He asks to specify a template and browser when I told him the issue was with all of them were. Doesn't seem like he tried to reproduce the issue himself, like he said he did in another thread upgrading debian-8 to 9. I felt like he was fkn with me, which is something Marek would never do.

I've liked your posts awokd, and enjoy you posting on here. But if Unman is your idol I'll have to change my opinion of you.

awokd

Mar 23, 2018, 10:26:46 AM3/23/18
to cooloutac, qubes-users
On Fri, March 23, 2018 2:18 pm, cooloutac wrote:
> On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 3:46:51 AM UTC-4, awokd wrote:

>> Your conclusions are not supported by the facts in evidence. An
>> alternative explanation for my not knowing debian-9 was not in the 3.2
>> repo could be I'd installed it so long ago on my daily driver, I forgot
>> where I got it from (although I still swear it was in the repo at some
>> point).

> The thing is you were suggesting me to do something you've never done
> yourself. That was my point. I try never to do that unless stating so.

Ah, but I thought I had.

> I doubt Qubes is your sole operating machine, and I doubt you downloaded
> Qubes 4.0 on it. Same goes for Yuratheia. And thats fine, nothing
> wrong with that.

I have more than one computer, but my primary one (aka daily driver) runs
3.2.

cooloutac

Mar 23, 2018, 10:33:41 AM3/23/18
to qubes-users

debian-9 was never in the 3.2 repos. Its stated as such in the docs. They also state they will support 3.2 for a year after 4.0 has its final release. But I guess the avg user will have to know how to update their debian-9. Or just abandon debian. You can't use it as a sys-firewall afterwards and I've noticed some other anomalies.
"
And yes as I said you didn't download 4.0 from your 3.2 machine. If Steve Coleman didn't suggest to use a usb stick I would have never thought of it. Oh thats the other problem I had with debian 9. my cloned one wouldn't load gparted as non root when installed. I have no idea why. Also had to change my sys-usb back to a fedora template. Im wondering why i'm even using debian for anything now...

But don't you think it would be wise to have instructions so people know how to upgrade to latest Qubes, if they use Qubes? I feel like qubes has been sabotaged for over a year and a half now. Sorry for being paranoid lol. BUt that fact the 4.0 ISO is 100mb too much to download on a default Qubes appvm is just too crazy...

awokd

Mar 23, 2018, 10:54:10 AM3/23/18
to cooloutac, qubes-users
On Fri, March 23, 2018 2:33 pm, cooloutac wrote:

> And yes as I said you didn't download 4.0 from your 3.2 machine.

I didn't realize that's what you were implying. I did, in fact. I had to
increase the default private space associated with the AppVM, but it
seemed pretty trivial to me at the time.

> But don't you think it would be wise to have instructions so people know
> how to upgrade to latest Qubes, if they use Qubes?

You may have a point here. I could at least propose adding a pointer to
the relevant section in the doc. Thanks!

> I feel like qubes
> has been sabotaged for over a year and a half now. Sorry for being
> paranoid lol. BUt that fact the 4.0 ISO is 100mb too much to download on
> a default Qubes appvm is just too crazy...

Personally, I think you are reading too much into it.

js...@riseup.net

Mar 23, 2018, 12:13:45 PM3/23/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
cooloutac:
> debian-9 was never in the 3.2 repos. Its stated as such in the docs. They also state they will support 3.2 for a year after 4.0 has its final release. But I guess the avg user will have to know how to update their debian-9. Or just abandon debian. You can't use it as a sys-firewall afterwards and I've noticed some other anomalies.

I upgraded my template to debian-9 and it seems to work for me as
sys-firewall. Or at least I tested it with allow all except and deny all
except, with various websites white/blacklisted, and it seemed to work
as expected (only able to access whitelisted sites or not able to access
blacklisted sites in firefox).

I didn't do a more thorough test though. Is there something I'm missing?

-Jackie

cooloutac

Mar 23, 2018, 4:25:12 PM3/23/18
to qubes-users

yes you can't update dom0 with it.

cooloutac

Mar 23, 2018, 4:26:23 PM3/23/18
to qubes-users

But it has nothing to do with increasing the private size. again, you are talking out of your ass again. You already said you don't even use it you use 3.2. But how did you download it? you didn't use a browser with a linux template.

I might have to change your name from awokd to a afaked.

cooloutac

Mar 23, 2018, 4:32:48 PM3/23/18
to qubes-users

Just realized you already replied to me about this same subject in the other thread. Those missing directories you instructed people to create in the other thread. IS the issue as to why you can't update dom0. the bug Unman said he though was already fixed. You already got your fkn answer 4 hours ago. And the answer you missed was already in this thread if you bothered to read it. riseup.net sucks...lol

I also described a weird issue where after installing gparted in the udpated debian 9 template I had to run it as root. Wouldn't launch as non root. not sure whats going on there. So many little things like this should I even trust using the upgraded 8 to debian-9? I switched everything i once trusted with a debian template to fedora... and don't use my cloned debian template for sys-usb anymore either.

Not sure i'll be upgrading qubes to 4.0 in the future. Just gonna go buy a cheap dedicated banking pc off the shelf and use the airforce tens boot disk only. And enjoy life and use a windows machine for everything else lol.

awokd

Mar 23, 2018, 4:35:09 PM3/23/18
to cooloutac, qubes-users
On Fri, March 23, 2018 8:26 pm, cooloutac wrote:

> But it has nothing to do with increasing the private size. again, you
> are talking out of your ass again. You already said you don't even use
> it you use 3.2. But how did you download it? you didn't use a browser
> with a linux template.
>
> I might have to change your name from awokd to a afaked.

And there you go again. If you aren't going to listen, I can't help you.

cooloutac

Mar 23, 2018, 4:40:34 PM3/23/18
to qubes-users

I don't listen to liars homey. I despise them.

Steve Coleman

Mar 23, 2018, 5:08:56 PM3/23/18
to qubes-users
Glad you got it to work. I've had days like that. Like the time my
machine crashed and the Qubes DVD image was larger than would fit on a
single layer DVD. I didn't have a dual-layer drive and no extra USB
bootable thumb-drives to put it on.

I'm not sure that Qubes was ever "designed" for the casual user. One has
to be dedicated enough to computer security to go through the extra
effort to keep up with the day to day issues. I'm hoping that will
correct itself going forward. I run 4.0-r4 at work and 3.2 at home
because its easier for the family.

In my book it is completely worth the effort, as I use it both at work
and at home as my only desktop, but I have yet to meet anyone at work
that is as paranoid (or insane?) enough to run it. How many people do
you know that have "SpySlide" installed on _all_ their mobile devices?
(https://www.spy-fy.com/) If its got a camera, it is blind, until I want
it not to be. The microphone though is a harder problem...

haaber

Mar 23, 2018, 5:25:59 PM3/23/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Dear Coolotac, I have trouble to imagine that the guy named cooloutac
who was patiently helping many people here for longtime should be the
cooloutac that employs such speech again and again. I do not know what
happened to you. I have the impression that you suffer and I am really
sorry about that. I guess, many of us have passed super-frustating
moments with qubes and some guys may not get the point you think to
express clearly.

BUT: all this does not justify to abuse of this mailing list by freely
insulting people who try to help. Please try to calm down, try to
explain your point in great detail, try to understand the others. It is
important, for yourself in first place. Good luck, Bernhard

cooloutac

Mar 24, 2018, 5:53:57 PM3/24/18
to qubes-users

Well I felt like 3.2 was though. Qubes kept getting more user friendly, but I guess that peaked with 3.2. My mother uses Qubes no problem and the only time she ever has to use a terminal command is if she accidentally shuts down the sys-usb instead of restarting it lol.

cooloutac

Mar 24, 2018, 6:10:05 PM3/24/18
to qubes-users

I apologize for my behavior Bernhard. Maybe I am stressed, I have been going to court past couple weeks. But I got all cases dismissed. Now I'm dealing with other issues. I'm also upset the direction Qubes has been going and how influenced and off course its become. Worrying about gpu passthrough because of people demanding it, sounding like fsf software nuts not using secure boot, when even Richard Stallman says its ok to use for security. Focusing on enterprise users and not home users. Its like they are being influenced and Qubes is being sabotaged so it will never be widely adopted. I know they need money I'm sure you've seen me on here a couple times asking how to donate without bitcoin, but now I'm not sure if in the future Qubes will still be practical for my family to use. And I guess i'm just very disappointed about that.

I still don't trust Unman, but I'll refrain from posting here for a while.

awokd

Mar 24, 2018, 6:59:50 PM3/24/18
to cooloutac, qubes-users
On Sat, March 24, 2018 10:10 pm, cooloutac wrote:

> Now I'm
> dealing with other issues.

Hope it goes well.

> I'm also upset the direction Qubes has been
> going and how influenced and off course its become.

I don't agree; their primary focus appears to remain on security.

> Worrying about gpu
> passthrough because of people demanding it, sounding like fsf software
> nuts not using secure boot, when even Richard Stallman says its ok to use
> for security.

I haven't seen a statement from QubesOS project on either of these, other
than they might consider a different graphics pipeline in the next major
version. I might have missed it, though. It would be nice to have
acceleration as long as it's not at the expense of security. Secure boot
by itself is fine, but the problem is it brings a larger attack surface
along for the ride so it's one of those things where you have to pick the
lesser of evils which is going to vary from person to person/threat model.

> Focusing on enterprise users and not home users.

It's not an either/or situation. Have you read through
https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2017/06/27/qubes-admin-api/? If anyone can
figure out how to handle management securely, I'd look to the Qubes team.

> Its
> like they are being influenced and Qubes is being sabotaged so it will
> never be widely adopted. I know they need money I'm sure you've seen me
> on here a couple times asking how to donate without bitcoin, but now I'm
> not sure if in the future Qubes will still be practical for my family to
> use. And I guess i'm just very disappointed about that.

Please give them a chance before passing judgement! If you see them
actually threatening to push something insecure to testing/current, by all
means call it out but so far everything I've seen is the opposite.

cooloutac

Mar 25, 2018, 4:49:22 PM3/25/18
to qubes-users

If they are focusing on gpu passthrough, for wider adoption, their focus isn't on security. Its also silly and ironic that 4.0 is way less user friendly then 3.2.

There are many statements from Joanna about secure boot and ME in general, and closed source code in general. Which means they will never use secure boot. disappointing, because IMO its pretty necessary even for a reasonable secure machine.

Hey man, like I said. Alot of us were already compromised by a bad dom0 update. I don't remember you posting during that time so maybe your machine is ok. And it came from them unintentionally, or fedora repos, who knows. I could be wrong though, of course I have no proof. Just a paranoid hunch.

Intel patched ME for backdoors that have been in their machines for 8 years a week after that. It was during a time when there was friction between Subgraph and Qubes, and when spender was having nervous breakdowns and who already basically threatened Joanna in the past with such an attack. If you want to talk about rude vindictive losers, look no further then spender and the subgraph dev Xsmurf aka Bruce Leidl. That guy is nuts and gives me the creeps. Super vindictive. And whats so crazy about them is David Mirza Amahd is such a nice friendly guy I don't think he even has any idea what goes on underneath his nose. Which also makes them kind of fake and all marketing hype. Laughed when him and the rapist Applebaum, who i could never stand, cringed at Joannas comments at the LoganCIJ6 panel. Because her comments were so brutally honest and I guess they just wanted her to be the typical salesperson. She actually looked depressed. She used to work for the nsa so maybe they have approached her and that upset her, maybe they also target us.

But hey i'm just crazy so don't mind me lmao...

cooloutac

Mar 25, 2018, 4:54:34 PM3/25/18
to qubes-users
The reason I think it happened is because first there was a failed update. Then had to update it a second time.

Then all of us regular posters at the time were posting and we all had the same anomalies and bugs going on. Alot of weird things going wrong with the system. Even on Andrew Wongs machine.

But hey man. Qubes protected me for 2 years before that and thats a record in my book. My windows machine gets compromised in a month. And my linux machines usually in one day lol.

Just hunches :), always loved how Joanna is one of the few to admit thats all we ever got.

Oh, she also came out with idea of paranoid recovery mode after the whole fiasco.

cooloutac

Mar 25, 2018, 5:01:07 PM3/25/18
to qubes-users
alot of people use whonix as their updatevm now. But those that are right now are having weird problems as i'm sure you've noticed. I never trusted Tor, Joanna used to not use it much either... Privacy and security are two diff things.

But if thats the only way they could get to us, then that says alot for how secure Qubes is.