HCL - Dell Optiplex 9020

Will Dizon

Jul 10, 2018, 11:28:47 AM7/10/18
to qubes-users
Qubes 4.0

Been using for about a month now, no recalled issues regarding install.

* Win10 Qubes Windows Tools no success.

* Using qubes-mirage-firewall to completely replace sys-firewall's default. mirage doesn't work with HVMs, but works with [mirage] -> [intermediary (happens to be work VPN via openvpn-cli)] -> win10

* audio and video work out of the box, but playonlinux seems to be really choppy on some starts and a restart gets it back to usable performance

* dom0 sometimes uses up 60% of 8 vcpus, but no apparent (or at least user-invoked) processes or work

* fedora-28-minimal installed after-the-fact, but absence of iptables packages made it problematic to originally replace firewall (this is what led me to mirage). Otherwise, documentation for turning fedora-28-minimal into useful domain very good.

* ReactOS v.48 installer could not detect HDD to install to via HVM attempt

* It's confusing that dom0 only reports 4gb (of 16) in TOP, seeing as how I have never set 4gb in any configuration (164/288 min/boost values). 16GB is recognized in xentop, however.

* fedora-28-dvm always has 'updates pending!' icon in qubes manager, even when no other domains/templates have the icon listed.

Qubes-HCL-Dell_Inc_-OptiPlex_9020-20180710-080905.yml

awokd

Jul 11, 2018, 3:45:33 AM7/11/18
to Will Dizon, qubes-users
On Tue, July 10, 2018 3:28 pm, Will Dizon wrote:
> Qubes 4.0

> * dom0 sometimes uses up 60% of 8 vcpus, but no apparent (or at least
> user-invoked) processes or work

Think this corresponds to memory balancing- check for messages in
journalctl next time it happens.

> * It's confusing that dom0 only reports 4gb (of 16) in TOP, seeing as how
> I have never set 4gb in any configuration (164/288 min/boost values).
> 16GB is recognized in xentop, however.

Dom0 is limited to 4GB via the "dom0_mem=max:4096M" default in boot options.

Check https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3736 and
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-manager/pull/91, there are fixes coming.