Suggested order for loading Qubes 4.0?

Patrick Bouldin

Aug 16, 2018, 10:25:16 AM8/16/18
to qubes-users
Hello, I got some great advice about having two hard drives since I want Windows on one drive and qubes on another. So I now have a good I7 laptop with two - 1/2 TB SSDs. I had in mind to load it this way, is the following correct?

I'm starting with both SSDs empty, no OS on either.

1 Physically install both drives

2 Install Windows on disk 1 after booting to flash drive with windows ISO

3 Unplug windows based SSD drive just to be sure I'm on the right drive next

4 Boot to bios, modify bios to change 2nd SSD (to be Qubes) FROM Windows UEFI to other OS (correct?)

5 Boot to a flash drive loaded with the Qubes 4.0 install ISO

This is the part I'm really not clear about, remember I'm working with two drives, booting to either the drive to windows or the drive to qubes. So, am I following the advice here?: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/multiboot/
- select custom layout, assign existing /boot partition as /boot, deselect the
'Format' option, continue with installation.

Or, do I let Qubes install in automatic configuration and then manually modify the grub file?

Thanks,
Patrick

John S.Recdep

Aug 16, 2018, 11:34:48 PM8/16/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like what I did/do with windows 10 ; since it doesn't involve
Grub , probably won't be a problem ......

In my case however, the uefi, I believe doesn't label the drive with
the drive name, but changes it to "windows" or "qubes" , which
concerns me , as I think it incorrect, I think that may be how uefi
works ymmv, why not try it

what is a "windows uefi" ?
looks to me like
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/multiboot

doesn't apply to you, its for single disk dual booting

Patrick Bouldin

Aug 17, 2018, 2:03:56 AM8/17/18
to qubes-users

Hi John and thanks. I agree but I think after I install qubes then I will need to delay the grub screen in order to be able to choose either Win 10 or Qubes. And I think I have to somehow tell qubes to look for the windows drive and then allow to choose it... Anyway you're right, I think once I have them both loaded I hope to figure it out.

Thanks.

awokd

Aug 17, 2018, 9:13:54 AM8/17/18
to Patrick Bouldin, qubes-users
UEFI uses an EFI partition on one of your drives, so if you pull the
Windows drive it might get confused. You can try it, but if you have
problems might want to re-install with legacy/grub boot for both OSes.

John S.Recdep

Aug 17, 2018, 2:50:25 PM8/17/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I don't think Grub has to be involved at all, you just change the boot
order in the Bios-Uefi

If it doesn't work pulling the drive, just leave it, When I put either
win10 or Q4.0 , there is no Grub choice being asked

Patrick Bouldin

Aug 18, 2018, 12:17:45 PM8/18/18
to qubes-users

Thanks to you both.

Raymond Rizzuto

Oct 11, 2018, 10:36:07 AM10/11/18
to qubes-users

I have an HP Elitebook with 2 SSDs. I have the bios set to prompt me to select the boot drive for 10 seconds, then default to booting the first drive (windows 10). Currently the second drive has a Linux distro, forget which, but I am hoping I can install Qubes to it without having the install try to install grub on the first drive.