[Qubes 4.0] - How to adjust the disk storage space for Windows 7 HVM?

lso...@protonmail.com

Apr 10, 2018, 4:05:19 AM4/10/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello, all...

  So, I’m trying to get a Windows VM up and running sufficiently to let me get my ITunes on, and I’ve had some success in my journey of trial and errors... Windows 7, both with and without SP1, installed just fine (once I realized that setting video-mode cirrus actually made a huge difference). However, unable to install qubes-windows-tools, even using the testing repo.

  Unfortunately, when installing, Win7 suggests a minimum of 17 Gb (approx), and the options for installation media are the unallocated space as follows: 10 Gb on drive 0, 2 Gb on drive 1, and 10 Gb on drive 2, with no way to combine. Selecting drive 0 leads to a successful install, with ~900 Mb free out of 10 Gb. This isn’t enough to do anything. Have followed the suggestions on removing unused services, scheduled tasks, etc but no free space generated.

 Yes, adjusting the max storage in the Qube Manager tab after the first installation shutdown was the first thing I tried, but maybe the lack of qubes-windows-tools has something to do with this not working. I have exhaustively reviewed all qvm-xxx commands, looking for some way to adjust the storage parameter, but to no avail. Wondered if my SSD was getting full, it’s only a 128 Gb, but the problems interpreting df (even with -h) are well documented. But, I created another Win7 HVM, and that spun up OK, so don’t think that’s the issue.

Can someone please suggest a better place for me to RTFM? I don’t know where else to look...

Oh, and a huge THANK YOU to all the devs and users! I’ve been following the tasket VPN thread, and that’s next on my list to tackle. Haven’t felt this stoked about computer stuff in a long time - must come from being out of my comfort zone! I love it!

-=lsofxp=-

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

awokd

Apr 10, 2018, 10:24:38 AM4/10/18
to lso...@protonmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, April 10, 2018 8:05 am, lsofxp via qubes-users wrote:

> Yes, adjusting the max storage in the Qube Manager tab after the first
> installation shutdown was the first thing I tried, but maybe the lack of
> qubes-windows-tools has something to do with this not working.

Did you increase "system max storage size" while the VM was off? Do that,
then look in Disk Manager to see if you can extend.

lso...@protonmail.com

Apr 10, 2018, 8:25:15 PM4/10/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 7:24 AM, 'awokd' via qubes-users <qubes...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
On Tue, April 10, 2018 8:05 am, lsofxp via qubes-users wrote: > > Yes, adjusting the max storage in the Qube Manager tab after the first >> installation shutdown was the first thing I tried, but maybe the lack of > qubes-windows-tools has something to do with this not >>working.
>Did you increase "system max storage size" while the VM was off? Do that, then look in Disk Manager to see if you can extend. --
Yep,yep... would have needed to restart in order for changes made to a running VM to take effect, so I just did it (changed it to ~20 Mb, which was safe, considering that I’d just created a second HVM and then deleted it, testing against lack of space issues) during the first shutdown/restart involved to a typical Windows install.  It’s gotta be something that the user can control, I just don’t know enough yet.
Appreciate your help, awokd... on other threads, you’ve taught me a lot...
.lsofxp.

awokd

Apr 11, 2018, 7:44:11 AM4/11/18
On Wed, April 11, 2018 12:25 am, lsofxp via qubes-users wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 7:24 AM, 'awokd' via qubes-users

>>> Did you increase "system max storage size" while the VM was off? Do
>>> that, then look in Disk Manager to see if you can extend. --
>
>> Yep,yep... would have needed to restart in order for changes made to a
>> running VM to take effect, so I just did it (changed it to ~20 Mb,
>> which was safe, considering that I’d just created a second HVM and then
>> deleted it, testing against lack of space issues) during the first
>> shutdown/restart involved to a typical Windows install. It’s gotta be
>> something that the user can control, I just don’t know enough yet.

So it is working now?

>> Appreciate your help, awokd... on other threads, you’ve taught me a
>> lot...

No problem, glad to help!

lso...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2018, 1:41:49 PM4/15/18
to qubes-users
Nope, still not working... Qube sera, sera...

lsofxp!

awokd

Apr 15, 2018, 6:16:24 PM4/15/18
to lso...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Sun, April 15, 2018 5:41 pm, lso...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 4:44:11 AM UTC-7, awokd wrote:
>
>> On Wed, April 11, 2018 12:25 am, lsofxp via qubes-users wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 7:24 AM, 'awokd' via qubes-users

> Nope, still not working... Qube sera, sera...

At which step?:
1- shutdown win 7
2- increase root size to 20GB
3- start win 7