Unable to install qubes... (Intel GTX 970 problem)

Sergio Montesano

Nov 23, 2015, 5:39:03 AM11/23/15
to qubes-users
Hi everyone,

i'm trying to install - for the first time - Qubes on my Computer.

I have encountered some problem and all of them are depending (apparently) for my graphic card.

I have an Asus (intel) GTX 970.

Qubes 3.0 - after I selected the installation in the first menu - shows me a black screen. If I try to install it via command line, the new error is "luks device has no key/passphrase qubes installation".

After some researches, i realize that this one problem doesn't appear in graphic mode installation, but I can't access to this one.

So, i have tried Qubes 2.0 but the problem is similar. Sometimes i can see some things after first installation menu, but all of things that appear in the screen are indecipherable.

Now i have abandoned the idea to have a Qubes o.s. - but I ask you if this problems are frequently seen with intel gpu graphic or if it's my own problem to my specific gpu drivers.

Thanks a lot to all of you.

Tim W

Nov 24, 2015, 2:56:39 AM11/24/15
to qubes-users

I am confused.  You list a ASUS gtx970  but then have "(intel)".  I thought it was to mean a intel cpu, but then speak of an intel GPU (Intel HD Graphics 3000, 4000, 5300 etc)and driver issues??

If you have the gtx970 that is very likley the issue.  If you have a intel cpu with on board GPU then IF your bios has a option to disable the GTX and use only the intel onboard gpu I would try that.   Like I said its kind of confusing based on your post.   There is plenty of doc and info on the issue with any graphics other than the on board intel.    Some can be worked out once you can get to the install though.

I assume if this is an ASUS Strix GTX970 then this is a desktop PC (meant for gaming or at very least heavy graphic video) not a laptop.   If the bios has no setting to disable or switch between on board and primary you could open the case and pull the GTX card just to see if it will install and that would answer if its the gpu or some other yet unknown issue.  Maybe then you could find the drivers and tinker to get it to work but I have no idea with a hopped up gamer board like the ASUS and MSI version

You also do not mention the cpu but you should probably check on the ark.intel.com site and see if it has VT-x VT-d marked as yes under the advanced Technologies section.

Sergio Montesano

Nov 24, 2015, 3:28:20 AM11/24/15
to qubes-users
I'm so sorry for confusing i made.

I was very tired and I was a lot of ideas in my mind.

So, my hardware is this:

- Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7
- Processor: Intel I7 5820K
- Ram: 16 GB DDR4
- Video: Asus Strix Nvida Geforce GTX970
- SSD M.2 Samsung XP941

I know that it's an "hardware set" more for gaming than others things, but I love experiment and I try new-others things like software o.s. and programs.

Motherboard doesn't have an onboard Video Graphic, so, i can't plug my monitor to it.

I think - looking at the issue i have - that it's a driver incompatibility.

P.S. = after Qubes installation i try Linux Mint and Linux ubuntu 15.04. Ubuntu 15.04 has same issue: after cd loading, the screen becomes black.

Linux mint works fine, but when i try to install driver via Update Center, after login screen (that appears fine), monitor shows me some horizontal lines.

In Linux Mint I have tryed to install drivers manually, dowloading them from intel site. For installation I must have a Command line without X server, that i can get pressing CTRL - ALT - F1. But, when I press this combination, the screen becomes black.

That's it. I hope now is clear.

Thank you for help me.

Tim W

Nov 24, 2015, 5:07:33 AM11/24/15
to qubes-users
Yes that is so far one of the weaknesses of Qube i.e.  compatibility.    I am sure it will get better from both sides. Unfortunately without a way to use the intel onboard gpu you are stuck.

Sergio Montesano

Nov 24, 2015, 5:10:33 AM11/24/15
to qubes-users
Ok.

Therefore, the problem is GPU...

pudd...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2015, 12:17:00 PM11/25/15
to qubes-users
Hi, I had a similiar problem with an Intel HD3000 graphics card. Installation would freeze up after leaving the grub menu. A BIOS update helped. I'm still not sure what the problem was, but it might be worth trying for you :)
Good luck

Drew White

Nov 25, 2015, 11:03:02 PM11/25/15
to qubes-users
Hi Sergio,

This is not an issue with you or your hardware. It's actually an issue with the installer that I brought to their attentoin months ago, and they told me it was my fault not theirs.

The only way to avoid this error is to get into the layout for the partitioning, and partition it so that it does NOT use encryption.

If you find out how to do that in the text based, then you will solve the issue for many people.

In the Text based installer you can set the root password and activate the account, in the GUI, you can't.
In the GUI based installer you can set all the partitions and everything manually, including disabling LUKS, but in the Text based, I have not yet found out how.

I'm sorry for the issue you are having that is identicle to the ones I had many months ago.

When they fix the bug it will all be good again.

Maybe Qubes 4 will have the INSTALLER fixed.

Tim W

Nov 27, 2015, 8:02:03 PM11/27/15
to qubes-users

If its an issue with the installer what exactly is it about the specific hardware setup that is causing this to happen.  Obviously its not a general use bug in the installer as everyone trying to install with the default GUI installer would have the same issue.

Is it one of the following as examples:

* bios config /type/version?
* GPU?
* CPU?
* chipset?
* etc???

What is the common piece of the puzzle for this bug?

I will say I was left a bit scratching my head by the password paraphrase part of his report but with the actions of the display output it looked very much like the same issues I had when I was trying the install with the discrete NVidia card gpu as the default as well as that of others.  When I was able to set intel onboard gpu to default issue was resolved for install.  This and the fact of that particular card being more of a specific to gaming even more so that many other cards that causes issues was the reasons for my comments.

If it is something completely unrelated to the gpu I am interested to learn.  Can you post up the link to your thread and what you found dealing with this issue?

Cheers,

Tim

r...@bluesentinel.net

Dec 15, 2016, 7:00:22 AM12/15/16
to qubes-users
Hi Tim,

Drew White is correct.

This is an installer bug.
There are two separate Qubes installers, the GUI one and the Text one. The problem is that the Text one has different options and has a fixed error that cannot be bypassed. The error is that LUKS encryption, either cannot be disabled or there is no error checking and no way to enter the encryption key.

Until this menu installer bug is fixed, those of us (a lot) with Nvidia cards cannot even install Qubes.

If you have not installed Qubes via the Text menu, you will not know what myself, Drew or Sergio are talking about.

The Qubes installation guide is next to useless, as the only line in the "guide" is...
Before proceeding with the installation, you are encouraged to first read all the information on this page. When you’re ready, boot your system from the installation source and follow the on-screen instructions. The installer is very simple and asks very few questions. (It’s actually easier to install Qubes right now than most other Linux distributions!)

Also, it does not look like there is much active development with Qubes, as this thread is over a year old and still no solution.

I will keep trying! - I'll post again if I find workaround to the bug.

Thanks,

Rob.

Andrew David Wong

Dec 15, 2016, 8:06:55 AM12/15/16
to r...@bluesentinel.net, qubes-users

On 2016-12-15 04:00, r...@bluesentinel.net wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Drew White is correct.
>
> This is an installer bug. There are two separate Qubes installers,
> the GUI one and the Text one. The problem is that the Text one
> has different options and has a fixed error that cannot be
> bypassed. The error is that LUKS encryption, either cannot be
> disabled or there is no error checking and no way to enter the
> encryption key.
>
> Until this menu installer bug is fixed, those of us (a lot) with
> Nvidia cards cannot even install Qubes.
>
> If you have not installed Qubes via the Text menu, you will not
> know what myself, Drew or Sergio are talking about.

Since the installer is largely derived from Fedora, has anyone tested
whether this problem also exists on baremetal Fedora for the affected
hardware? (Perhaps this has been addressed in another thread?)

If it's actually an upstream (Fedora) problem, it should be reported
to them.

> The Qubes installation guide is next to useless, as the only line
> in the "guide" is... Before proceeding with the installation, you
> are encouraged to first read all the information on this page.
> When you’re ready, boot your system from the installation source
> and follow the on-screen instructions. The installer is very simple
> and asks very few questions. (It’s actually easier to install
> Qubes right now than most other Linux distributions!)

It seems to me that this part of the guide is clearly targeted at
people using the GUI installer (the majority of users). So, while it
might be true that the guide is "useless" for people who are forced to
fall back on the text installer (insofar as it doesn't address that
installer), it would be inaccurate to call it useless overall.

> Also, it does not look like there is much active development with
> Qubes, as this thread is over a year old and still no solution.

It does not logically follow from the fact that this particular issue
has not been resolved that there has not been much active development
with Qubes. Anyone who takes a glance at GitHub can see that the
developers have actively been working on Qubes this entire time. Even
those who only pay attention to new releases can see that there have
been two releases since this thread was started.

I understand that it can be frustrating to have a problem for a long
period of time without finding a solution, but to say something that
one knows is untrue as a way of venting that frustration is rather
transparent.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Rob

Dec 20, 2016, 8:28:12 PM12/20/16
to qubes-users, r...@bluesentinel.net
Hi Andrew,

That is great, I am getting further. I now know to investigate the Fedora text based installer (Anaconda).
I would be happy to try and report back on the Fedora bare metal install, as my laptop is new and has nothing on it yet (hopefully Qubes soon).
Do you happen to know what version of Fedora is used for Qubes 3.2? - as I have successfully installed Fedora 25 Workstation (which is the latest), but I am guessing Qubes uses an older build.

Ideally, I would like to install Qubes-OS latest version (not sure when v4 will be released).
Pretty sure the reason why my laptop is having installation issues, is that it has an Nvidia GPU and until the installation is successful, I can then try to install the Nvidia drivers onto Dom0.

The guide does not say much at all about the installation (unless the GUI installation asks no questions and just works). All I am saying is it looks like the installation can be hit or miss, so I am surprised that there is not a guide for those more complex installs, as opposed to the easiest install, where there are no issues anyway.
I will be happy to assist in getting a basic guide written, once I can get Qubes installed. - This can then get fleshed out with further input from others.

Previously to this post, I was just Googling for clues to help me install Qubes, however, I am now subscribed to this "Qubes-Users" group and I can now see that there is a lot of activity. Although, my initial comment regarding development was more regarding the installation side of the OS. As it does (to me) appear to be lacking, compared to other Distro's slick installation. I am guessing this is more to do with the incorporation of strict security and the inclusion of Xen.

I will now look into disabling the LUKS section of the Fedora install.

Thanks for your reply,

Rob.

Andrew David Wong

Dec 21, 2016, 3:41:54 AM12/21/16
to Rob, qubes-users

On 2016-12-20 17:28, Rob wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> That is great, I am getting further. I now know to investigate the
> Fedora text based installer (Anaconda). I would be happy to try and
> report back on the Fedora bare metal install, as my laptop is new
> and has nothing on it yet (hopefully Qubes soon). Do you happen to
> know what version of Fedora is used for Qubes 3.2? - as I have
> successfully installed Fedora 25 Workstation (which is the latest),
> but I am guessing Qubes uses an older build.

Qubes 3.2 uses Fedora 23 in dom0.

> Ideally, I would like to install Qubes-OS latest version (not sure
> when v4 will be released). Pretty sure the reason why my laptop is
> having installation issues, is that it has an Nvidia GPU and until
> the installation is successful, I can then try to install the
> Nvidia drivers onto Dom0.

No official ETA on Qubes 4.0 yet. Best guess is that the first release
candidate might appear in Q1 2017.

> The guide does not say much at all about the installation (unless
> the GUI installation asks no questions and just works). All I am
> saying is it looks like the installation can be hit or miss, so I
> am surprised that there is not a guide for those more complex
> installs, as opposed to the easiest install, where there are no
> issues anyway. I will be happy to assist in getting a basic guide
> written, once I can get Qubes installed. - This can then get
> fleshed out with further input from others.

I see what you're saying. Yes, I think it's difficult to write a guide
that covers the unusual hardware compatibility issues that people run
into, since it can be hardware-specific. It would be great if you could
help us improve the documentation in this regard. Thank you for your
willingness to help!

> Previously to this post, I was just Googling for clues to help me
> install Qubes, however, I am now subscribed to this "Qubes-Users"
> group and I can now see that there is a lot of activity. Although,
> my initial comment regarding development was more regarding the
> installation side of the OS. As it does (to me) appear to be
> lacking, compared to other Distro's slick installation. I am
> guessing this is more to do with the incorporation of strict
> security and the inclusion of Xen.

I understand. That's probably true.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)