Re: Unable to Attach ISO to Windows HVM

Message has been deleted

Yethal

Nov 1, 2017, 5:12:57 AM11/1/17
to qubes-users
W dniu środa, 1 listopada 2017 02:05:41 UTC+1 użytkownik Person napisał:
> I created a Windows 10 HVM on Qubes (I know Windows 10 isn’t supported, but I know some people succeeded with it, so I’m trying it), and when I attached the ISO to the HVM, I get an error message: “libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain ‘windows-10’”.
>
> I don’t believe that there is anything wrong with the ISO, because it was a download directly from Microsoft; and I don’t believe that I messed up the command, because it worked previously. It booted up a picture of the Windows logo and then suddenly crashed.
>
> One of the solutions I found online was to use “systemctl start xendriverdomain”, but I don’t seem to have this service and I don’t know how to install it.

You'd need Xen disk drivers installed within the VM for this to work. Xen drivers (along the rest of Qubes Windows Tools) haven't been ported to Windows 10 yet.

Desobediente

Nov 1, 2017, 9:07:08 AM11/1/17
to qubes-users
Not trying to give false hope, but yet the same error may mean you mistyped the qvm-start line, for example the iso full path.

yura...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2017, 9:21:40 AM11/1/17
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 1:05:41 AM UTC, Person wrote:
> I created a Windows 10 HVM on Qubes (I know Windows 10 isn’t supported, but I know some people succeeded with it, so I’m trying it), and when I attached the ISO to the HVM, I get an error message: “libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain ‘windows-10’”.
>
> I don’t believe that there is anything wrong with the ISO, because it was a download directly from Microsoft; and I don’t believe that I messed up the command, because it worked previously. It booted up a picture of the Windows logo and then suddenly crashed.
>
> One of the solutions I found online was to use “systemctl start xendriverdomain”, but I don’t seem to have this service and I don’t know how to install it.

Instead try use the graphical tool, it should work.
Do the qvm-create etc. first to make the HVM, then afterwards go to the Qube-menu and select the new Qube menu you just made, open VM-Settings for this VM, and click "Advanced". Here click on the "Boot qube from CDROM". Which despite it's name, works for USB, local files, local files in another VM, and of course an actual CD-Rom drive as well.

If it doesn't work, then at least you made sure you didn't misstype anything.

Also yes, Windows 10 should technically work in Qubes, you just won't get Qubes supported tools, such as text and file sharing between Win10 and the rest of Qubes system, no easy internet setup, graphic/screen Qubes driver, and so forth.
Basically, it should run, but it might not run optimal. You may be able to passthrough some USB devices, or iso files, but otherwise, it'll be completely isolated in its own little world. Unlike Windows 7, which can properly communicate with Qubes. Basically Windows 10 will theoretically appear like Windows 7, just without the Qubes-Windows-Tools installed.

turb...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2017, 12:34:50 PM11/1/17
to qubes-users
среда, 1 ноября 2017 г., 16:21:40 UTC+3 пользователь yura...@gmail.com написал:
> On Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 1:05:41 AM UTC, Person wrote:
> > I created a Windows 10 HVM on Qubes (I know Windows 10 isn’t supported, but I know some people succeeded with it, so I’m trying it), and when I attached the ISO to the HVM, I get an error message: “libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain ‘windows-10’”.
> >
> > I don’t believe that there is anything wrong with the ISO, because it was a download directly from Microsoft; and I don’t believe that I messed up the command, because it worked previously. It booted up a picture of the Windows logo and then suddenly crashed.
> >
> > One of the solutions I found online was to use “systemctl start xendriverdomain”, but I don’t seem to have this service and I don’t know how to install it.
>
> Instead try use the graphical tool, it should work.
> Do the qvm-create etc. first to make the HVM, then afterwards go to the Qube-menu and select the new Qube menu you just made, open VM-Settings for this VM, and click "Advanced". Here click on the "Boot qube from CDROM". Which despite it's name, works for USB, local files, local files in another VM, and of course an actual CD-Rom drive as well.
>
> If it doesn't work, then at least you made sure you didn't misstype anything.

It doesn't work. Sad but true.

yura...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2017, 1:18:40 PM11/1/17
to qubes-users
Weird :/
I'll give it a try with Win10 later today or tomorrow, I'll share with you if I can repeat the issue or if it works. Stay tuned.

yura...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2017, 9:46:52 AM11/2/17
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 1:05:41 AM UTC, Person wrote:
> I created a Windows 10 HVM on Qubes (I know Windows 10 isn’t supported, but I know some people succeeded with it, so I’m trying it), and when I attached the ISO to the HVM, I get an error message: “libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain ‘windows-10’”.
>
> I don’t believe that there is anything wrong with the ISO, because it was a download directly from Microsoft; and I don’t believe that I messed up the command, because it worked previously. It booted up a picture of the Windows logo and then suddenly crashed.
>
> One of the solutions I found online was to use “systemctl start xendriverdomain”, but I don’t seem to have this service and I don’t know how to install it.

It did not work on my system either, It appears to be a python code issue that prevents Qubes from booting the iso files.
I suppose the best solution would be to install Windows 10 from Qubes 3.2, then back it up to a Qubes-backup, and then restore Windows 10 in Qubes 10 from the backup. This has worked with Windows 7. Just be sure to give it enough RAM since it won't start easily without plenty of RAM, when without the qubes-windows-tools to dynamically sort out the RAM management.

Thoughts on the details: It seems to be appearing within the Qubes tools, specifically the --cdrom= part, and its associated python code. I'm not a programmer, or an expert, but from what I can see, this won't work until the Qubes team fix the python error, from either a new python library or the python code someone from the Qubes team wrote, whichever it is. If the former, then we'll have to wait for other developers to fix it before anything happens, I suppose?

There were some python dom0 updates today, I tried to install Windows 10 both before and after updating, including restarting Qubes just to be 100% sure. None worked, same python error is still around.

It appears that the graphical method runs into same python errors, but without logs I can't be sure.

Also I've tried installed from both AppVM's and from Dom0. Given that backups are bugged/slow from dom0, apparently due to python also. So I thought it might make a difference here too, but sadly it did not.

For now, it seems the only solution is to install Windows 10 somewhere else, for example in Qubes 3.2, and then back it up and transfer it to Qubes 4. At least to my knowledge.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted