Installation failed to install several software and VMs

sarr...@gmail.com

May 15, 2020, 11:21:13 PM5/15/20
to qubes-users
Yesterday, I downloaded and installed the Qubes OS 4.0.3 three times. Every time I installed, it lacks most of the basic software and VM like browsers, file managers. Even it didn't install personal, untrusted, work, sys-firewall, sys-net or any disposal VMs as displayed at the end of the installation guide. Hence, I couldn't figure out how to connect to the internet.

Also, I encountered this error:

[‘/usr/bin/qubes-prefs’,’default-template’,’fedora-30’] failed:stdout:””
stderr: “qubes-prefs:error: “No such domain:\’fedora-30\””
 Can anyone give me the solution and reason why is it so? I'd also followed some videos and I did exactly the same but my result was totally different and worthless.

dhorf-hfre...@hashmail.org

May 16, 2020, 5:13:13 AM5/16/20
to sarr...@gmail.com, qubes-users
> > stderr: “qubes-prefs:error: “No such domain:\’fedora-30\””

this indicates you do not have a fedora-30 template.
did you deselect templates during install?

you need at least one usable template, and in general for a q4.0.3
install that means fedora-30.
(and the first thing you should do after install is to get fedora-31
or fedora-32)

sarr...@gmail.com

May 16, 2020, 9:22:20 AM5/16/20
to qubes-users

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 2:43:13 PM UTC+5:30, dhorf-hfr...@hashmail.org wrote:
> > stderr: “qubes-prefs:error: “No such domain:\’fedora-30\””

this indicates you do not have a fedora-30 template.
did you deselect templates during install?
No, I've checked everything and left the default setting as it is.

you need at least one usable template, and in general for a q4.0.3
install that means fedora-30.
(and the first thing you should do after install is to get fedora-31
 or fedora-32)

but I'm not able to connect to the internet. It's not showing sys-net, nothing. How can I troubleshoot for an internet connection first?

dhorf-hfre...@hashmail.org

May 16, 2020, 10:56:02 AM5/16/20
On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 06:22:20AM -0700, sarr...@gmail.com wrote:
> > you need at least one usable template, and in general for a q4.0.3
> > install that means fedora-30.
> but I'm not able to connect to the internet. It's not showing sys-net,
> nothing. How can I troubleshoot for an internet connection first?

you need at least one useable template to get _anything_ done.

what VMs do you have?
what is the output of "qvm-ls"?

if you dont have "fedora-30" or "debian-10", something went _massively_
wrong during the install, and it might be better you nuke the disk and
do a clean install.