Help with "Missing Features HAP/SLAT/EPT/RVI, Interrupt Remapping"

Chris Jones

Jun 8, 2020, 10:16:40 PM6/8/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

New user here, trying and failing to install Qubes R4.0.3 on a new Dell
Precision 3630 Tower with Xeon E-2288G cpu.

I verfied the ISO and wrote it to a USB stick with dd.

If I set the BIOS to boot from the USB stick in UEFI mode then I get
dump of registers and stack trace and it says "Panic on CPU 0: FATAL
PAGE FAULT"

If I set the BIOS to boot in Legacy External Devices mode, and boot from
the USB stick, the Qubes installer menu comes up. If I select "Install
Qubes R4.0.3" then I am offered the chance to select a language, after
which an error window pops up: "Unsupported Hardware Detected"...
"Missing Features: HAP/SLAT/EPT/RVI, Interrupt Remapping"

In the BIOS settings I had already ticked "Enable Intel Virtualization
Technology" and also "Enable VT for Direct I/O". It also does not seem
to make any difference whether I tick "Trusted Execution" in the BIOS.

I guess there is a possibility that there is a bug in the BIOS, I have
R2.3.1 installed.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

sysad.andes

Jun 8, 2020, 11:26:01 PM6/8/20
to Chris Jones, qubes...@googlegroups.com
>>Double check that any reference to any other virtualization technology is enabled in BIOS, specifically EPT/SLAT, ie extended paging tables, your processor seems to support this, but it sounds like the installation candidate isn't detecting the availability of the technology.

Chris Jones

Jun 9, 2020, 12:14:08 AM6/9/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 09/06/2020 13:25, sysad.andes wrote:

> -------- Original message --------From: 'Chris Jones' via qubes-users <qubes...@googlegroups.com> Date: 6/8/20 22:16 (GMT-05:00) To: qubes...@googlegroups.com Subject: [qubes-users] Help with "Missing Features HAP/SLAT/EPT/RVI, Interrupt Remapping" Hi all,New user here, trying and failing to install Qubes R4.0.3 on a new Dell Precision 3630 Tower with Xeon E-2288G cpu.I verfied the ISO and wrote it to a USB stick with dd.If I set the BIOS to boot from the USB stick in UEFI mode then I get dump of registers and stack trace and it says "Panic on CPU 0: FATAL PAGE FAULT"If I set the BIOS to boot in Legacy External Devices mode, and boot from the USB stick, the Qubes installer menu comes up. If I select "Install Qubes R4.0.3" then I am offered the chance to select a language, after which an error window pops up: "Unsupported Hardware Detected"... "Missing Features: HAP/SLAT/EPT/RVI, Interrupt Remapping"In the BIOS settings I had already ticked "Enable Intel Virtualization Technology" and also "Enable VT for Direct I/O". It also does not seem to make any difference whether I tick "Trusted Execution" in the BIOS.I guess there is a possibility that there is a bug in the BIOS, I have R2.3.1 installed.Does anyone have any ideas?Thanks in advance,Chris>>Double check that any reference to any other virtualization technology is enabled in BIOS, specifically EPT/SLAT, ie extended paging tables, your processor seems to support this, but it sounds like the installation candidate isn't detecting the availability of the technology.-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "qubes-users" group.To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to qubes-users...@googlegroups.com.To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/00ce4587-c920-040b-7d69-8da2fb9d5e4c%40yahoo.com.

Thank you very much for replying.

I can't see any other virtualization options in the BIOS that I could
turn on. I think I must have tried just about everything there.

Chris Jones

Jun 9, 2020, 9:35:54 AM6/9/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Just adding some screenshots as attachments, I hope it works.

I noticed that when I tried to boot in UEFI mode (and it Panics), before
that Xen says "Intel VT-d Shared EPT tables enabled." I wonder does that
means that EPT is working but only with the bios in UEFI mode? Should
the Qubes iso be able to boot in UEFI mode?

bios_pages_1a.jpg
bios_pages_2a.jpg
bios_pages_3a.jpg
bios_enable_virtualization.jpg
bios_VT_for_direct_IO.jpg
qubes_installer.jpg
missing_features.jpg
UEFI_panic.jpg

Catacombs

Jun 9, 2020, 10:16:20 AM6/9/20
to qubes-users
I had the same error like this.   One might get this to work by rebooting several times.   I finally, (oh the shame) installed Windows 10, and upgraded the BIOS/EFI.   This led me to the point where I can not put Core Boot onto the laptop.  Still, I reinstalled Qubes, and the problem went away.

Notice you could try some other live OS that uses Virtualization to see if it works there.   Or there is command to show whether these options are functional.

What kind of Keyboard are you using.  I think a standard USB can be problematic.  When you were originally installing Qubes, you had several boxes you might check.

One was to update only over Whonix (note I think I have to start the Whonix Qube, and then use the update on the upper right hand of the screen, or it does not work, and does not show an error message telling you why it does not work.  Although you get a red X after awhile telling you it did not work.

The other box you could have checked had something to do with starting sys-usb with some thing else.  All I know about that is I did not know how to start sys-usb, which I needed for a usb wireless adapter.  I changed that during a re-install of Qubes.

USB keyboards are somehow made difficult to use because they are a security hazard.   Might be an issue.