Network problem since upgrade to fedora-24 template

BePe

Nov 24, 2016, 2:33:14 AM11/24/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
I have an installation of QubeOS 3.2  inside a KVM VM (I know that it's not recommended but it's very practical for testing) that was working without any major issue since last week when I decided to upgrade to the fedora-24 template and have migrated the net-vm et the firewall-vm to use the new template.
Since then, the networking (e.g. internet access) is no longer working on all the AppVM except on the net-vm.
I noted that when an AppVM is started there is no vif interface that is brought up in its configured NetVM as it used be the case when fedora-23 template was used for the NetVM.
Does somebody have the same issue? How could I fix/workaround the problem?
Is there a way to manually and properply bring up the vif.XX interface to establish the connection between a VM and its configured NetVM?
Thanks for your help.
BePe

Opal Raava

Nov 24, 2016, 7:22:26 AM11/24/16
to qubes-users
Hi BePe, I don't have the same issue, but maybe you can manually put the required ifconfig orso commands in your /rw/config/rc.local file? (and make that file executable.)

BePe

Nov 24, 2016, 9:03:01 AM11/24/16
to Opal Raava, qubes-users
Hi Opal,
Thanks.
But I don't know all the actions that should be realized. For sur there
will be IP configuration, routing and probably iptables rules.
BePe
--
BePe

Opal Raava

Nov 24, 2016, 10:09:41 AM11/24/16
to qubes-users, opal...@gmail.com

Hmm there should be an easier way, but I dont know how... I'm still a noob :/

BePe

Nov 25, 2016, 6:01:41 AM11/25/16
to Opal Raava, qubes-users
I suspect that the script vif-route-qubes is not called at all?
What triggers this script? Where is it configured?
--
BePe

BePe

Nov 25, 2016, 8:32:05 AM11/25/16
to Opal Raava, qubes-users
I found the "problem".
It seems that the code of the systemd script that detects virtualization
(systemd-detect-virt) has changed between fedora-23 and fedora-24.
The one in fedora-24 is confused by the fact I use QubesOS insed a KVM
VM and is not able to detect xen on top of the VM (it detects KVM
instead). As a consequence, the service xendriverdomain.service was not
started (ConditionVirtualization not met), causing networking to not
work on the AppVM (as the backend network was not correctly configured
on the NetVM side).
To workaround this "problem" I overwritten the systemd-detect-virt in
fedora-24 by the one in fedora-23.
Everything works fine again :)