XFCE Application menu

cubit

Oct 1, 2016, 5:04:22 PM10/1/16
to Qubes Users
hello everyone.  just upgraded to 3.2 and liking it.   one question I have......

Is there any reason (other than trust) not to install MenuLibre (https://smdavis.us/projects/menulibre) to dom0 so I can organize the application menu to do things like group the templates?   Or perhaps I am missing some already installed way with out having to manually edit config files?

Eva Star

Oct 2, 2016, 12:03:15 PM10/2/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

> hello everyone. just upgraded to 3.2 and liking it. one question I
> have......
>
> Is there any reason (other than trust) not to install MenuLibre
> (https://smdavis.us/projects/menulibre
> <https://smdavis.us/projects/menulibre/>) to dom0 so I can organize the
> application menu to do things like group the templates? Or perhaps I
> am missing some already installed way with out having to manually edit
> config files?

Right click on the panel -> Panel -> Add New Items -> Launcher
Now you can right click on new launcher icon and add any applications to
it. (also configure it)

--
Regards

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2016, 10:57:36 PM10/2/16
to qubes-users, cu...@tutanota.com
On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 5:04:22 PM UTC-4, cubit wrote:
> hello everyone.  just upgraded to 3.2 and liking it.   one question I have......
>
> Is there any reason (other than trust) not to install MenuLibre (https://smdavis.us/projects/menulibre) to dom0 so I can organize the application menu to do things like group the templates?   Or perhaps I am missing some already installed way with out having to manually edit config files?

I find xfce a little confusing too. In KDE I changed disposable vm browser entry, and also added disposable app menu entries under diff vms, so they'd retain certain firewall settings. But I can't figure out how to do this in kde lol without some 3rd party tool as well... I mean this is confusing > https://askubuntu.com/questions/76042/how-can-i-add-items-to-xfce-root-menu

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2016, 12:46:44 AM10/3/16
to qubes-users, cu...@tutanota.com, raah...@gmail.com
ah alt f3 is letting me edit the default disposable vm entry now, but it still doesn't let you create a new one. in kde to create a new disposable vm entry under a certain vm domain was a simple right click.

Cube

Oct 3, 2016, 9:24:13 AM10/3/16
to qubes-users, cu...@tutanota.com
Yeah I find that really annoying. I like my launcher to be neatly organized and now its a mess, I'm not willing to go in an fix it via text file in vi.

Best third party way to make this editable?

cubit

Oct 4, 2016, 7:41:28 AM10/4/16
to Eva Star, qubes...@googlegroups.com
2. Oct 2016 16:03 by eva...@openmailbox.org:

Right click on the panel -> Panel -> Add New Items -> Launcher
Now you can right click on new launcher icon and add any applications to it. (also configure it)

Thanks Eve star but I am not sure this is sustainable, I would rather something that works with Qubes and will auto add and AppVM as I create them.

cubit

Oct 4, 2016, 7:47:19 AM10/4/16
to Cube, qubes-users
3. Oct 2016 13:24 by cubem...@gmail.com:

Yeah I find that really annoying. I like my launcher to be neatly organized and now its a mess, I'm not willing to go in an fix it via text file in vi.

Best third party way to make this editable?

https://smdavis.us/projects/menulibre  looks promising

But I am think that I just checking with anyone who has experience with XFCE + Qubes to make sure there is not some sort of compatibility issue by using such a app and how Qubes interacts with the application menu.

cubit

Oct 21, 2016, 12:14:45 PM10/21/16
to Cube, qubes-users
4. Oct 2016 11:47 by cu...@tutanota.com:

https://smdavis.us/projects/menulibre  looks promising

But I am think that I just checking with anyone who has experience with XFCE + Qubes to make sure there is not some sort of compatibility issue by using such a app and how Qubes interacts with the application menu.

I tried menulibre and it did not go so well, moving the "Qubes VM Manager" shortcut in the app menu from the middle of off the templates and  appvm's to the top along side "run program" and "terminal emulator"  had the very bad side effect of deleting all the shortcuts under "system tools".

Has anyone played around and found a way to --safely-- organize the application menu?

cubit

Dec 16, 2016, 7:00:36 AM12/16/16
to Cube, qubes-users
21. Oct 2016 16:14 by cu...@tutanota.com:

I tried menulibre and it did not go so well, moving the "Qubes VM Manager" shortcut in the app menu from the middle of off the templates and  appvm's to the top along side "run program" and "terminal emulator"  had the very bad side effect of deleting all the shortcuts under "system tools".

Has anyone played around and found a way to --safely-- organize the application menu?

Looping back to this has anyone had any success in managing the xfce menu expecially grouping the templates?

Andrew David Wong

Dec 16, 2016, 7:14:27 AM12/16/16
to cubit, Cube, qubes-users

Reg Tiangha

Dec 16, 2016, 10:54:10 AM12/16/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I use launchers as well, and you can also set up new panels (like say at
the bottom of the screen or on a second screen that auto-hides) if
there's not enough space.

Another option is to install Whisker Menu (
https://gottcode.org/xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin/ ) which gives you an
application menu that you can search (which can come in handy). I have
that one installed to the far right of my panel so my set up is to have
a bunch of most-used application launchers sorted by color to the left
of the panel next to the standard application menu, and then the Whisker
Menu launcher to the far right next to the logout button for the times
when I need to launch something whose name I know but don't want to dig
through the main application menu to find it (there are many Nautilus
launchers, lol). Best of both worlds and keeps my panel clean.

To install in dom0:

sudo qubes-dom0-update xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin

It's just the one plugin, no other dependencies.

raah...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2016, 4:15:14 PM12/17/16
to qubes-users, cu...@tutanota.com, cubem...@gmail.com

oh I see you are saying the panel not the start menu. Start menu is just less confusing. There are 3rd party addons to manage it, but I woudln't want to install one to dom0.