Resizing Terminal Window inside of Kali template cloned from Debian or Kali VM causes VM crash

morf...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2017, 12:59:49 PM1/5/17
to qubes-users
Lenovo T420
Qubes OS 3.2 R3.2

After following the instructions for setting up Kali using the Debian template (https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/pentesting/kali/) and installing Kali tools using the Katoolin option, I have found that attempting to resize the "Terminal" application window within either the Kali template or the VM created from the Kali template causes the VM to crash (green dot changes to yellow dot within Qubes VM Manager, terminal window disappears).

- Start VM using Terminal App shortcut
- Terminal appears, green dot next to Template or VM in VM manager app as expected
- Attempt to Resize terminal window using mouse to grab corner of window and make it larger
- Terminal window frame flickers, along with the Window Manager Panel at the bottom of the screen
- Terminal window disappears, VM icon changes to yellow in VM Manager. VM must be manually shut down using VM manager or CLI.

This occurs ONLY with the modified Kali template / Kali VM created by cloning the Debian template. It does not occur with the Terminal app in the built-in Debian template. The Kali template was cloned from Debian and then "apt-get distupgrade" was performed, which presumably is what is causing the difference in behavior between the built-in Debian template and the modified Kali template.

Rys

Message has been deleted

morf...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2017, 1:13:07 PM1/5/17
to qubes-users
UPDATE: I was able to use the solution mentioned in a similar thread "qvm-run vm "xterm" --pass-io" and the resulting xterm behaves normally. Works for me.

morf...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2017, 2:08:23 PM1/5/17
to qubes-users
Adding "xterm" as a shortcut from the Apps manager also works properly. So just avoid using "Terminal" from Debian VMs updated from the "stretch" repos and you should be fine.