Turn off quiet boot?

Ron Hunter-Duvar

Oct 11, 2017, 7:42:45 PM10/11/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know how to turn off QubesOs' quiet boot (splash screen
instead of kernel messages)?

I like to see the messages during boot (and shutdown). More than once
I've caught a lurking problem (although it scrolls by fast, those red "[
FAILED ]" messages really stand out).

I've removed the "quiet" keyword from the "kernel=" lines in
/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg, but that only gives me the first page or
so, and still brings up the splash screen. Pressing Esc gets me back to
the messages, but I'd like to have it stay there.

This is with EFI booting. No grub (don't even have a grub.cfg file in
/boot).

Thanks,

Ron

Reg Tiangha

Oct 11, 2017, 11:24:37 PM10/11/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure how to turn it off, but you can toggle it on demand by
pressing F2.

Patrik Hagara

Oct 12, 2017, 2:38:04 AM10/12/17
to Ron Hunter-Duvar, qubes...@googlegroups.com
0x031F9AE5.asc
0x031F9AE5.asc.sig

David Hobach

Oct 12, 2017, 3:00:51 AM10/12/17
to Patrik Hagara, Ron Hunter-Duvar, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 10/12/2017 08:37 AM, Patrik Hagara wrote:

> On 10/12/2017 01:42 AM, Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:
>> Does anyone know how to turn off QubesOs' quiet boot (splash
>> screen instead of kernel messages)?
>>
>> I like to see the messages during boot (and shutdown). More than
>> once I've caught a lurking problem (although it scrolls by fast,
>> those red "[ FAILED ]" messages really stand out).
>>
>> I've removed the "quiet" keyword from the "kernel=" lines in
>> /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg, but that only gives me the first page
>> or so, and still brings up the splash screen. Pressing Esc gets me
>> back to the messages, but I'd like to have it stay there.
>>
>> This is with EFI booting. No grub (don't even have a grub.cfg file
>> in /boot).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ron
>>

> Removing the "rhgb" (historically "Red Hat Graphical Boot") parameter
> will result in defaulting to text boot instead of plymouth splash
> screen. You can still switch back and forth by pressing Esc.
>
> The "quiet" parameter, as you found out, only affects early kernel
> boot messages (before initramfs is mounted and plymouth can be started
> started).

With grub you can also disable plymouth entirely by using
plymouth.enable=0 in /etc/default/grub.

Maybe that also works with EFI.

Ron Hunter-Duvar

Oct 12, 2017, 11:09:23 PM10/12/17
to Patrik Hagara, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 10/12/2017 12:37 AM, Patrik Hagara wrote:

> On 10/12/2017 01:42 AM, Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:
>> Does anyone know how to turn off QubesOs' quiet boot (splash
>> screen instead of kernel messages)?
>> This is with EFI booting. No grub (don't even have a grub.cfg file
>> in /boot).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ron
>>
> Removing the "rhgb" (historically "Red Hat Graphical Boot") parameter
> will result in defaulting to text boot instead of plymouth splash
> screen. You can still switch back and forth by pressing Esc.
>
> The "quiet" parameter, as you found out, only affects early kernel
> boot messages (before initramfs is mounted and plymouth can be started
> started).
>

> Cheers,
> Patrik
Thanks, Patrik, that did the trick. Never thought to question what the
"rhgb" was for.

Ron