Nested virtualization

adoni...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2017, 8:40:36 PM2/10/17
to qubes-users
Hi guys,

Is it possible to install let's say Virtual Box inside a Qube? I've done some reading and all people seem to say is that it should be possible, but nothing conclusive.

nicholas roveda

Feb 10, 2017, 8:46:43 PM2/10/17
to qubes-users, adoni...@gmail.com
Yeah, currently I'm using LXC Containers inside AppVMs.

What do you need exactly?

justin.h...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2017, 9:27:49 PM2/10/17
On Friday, February 10, 2017 at 5:40:36 PM UTC-8, adoni...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Is it possible to install let's say Virtual Box inside a Qube? I've done some reading and all people seem to say is that it should be possible, but nothing conclusive.

VirtualBox definitely did not work for me, but I only tried it once and mostly out of curiosity. I can't remember the error... something about being unable to load a kernel module maybe?

pixel fairy

Feb 10, 2017, 10:16:25 PM2/10/17
to qubes-users, adoni...@gmail.com
On Friday, February 10, 2017 at 5:40:36 PM UTC-8, adoni...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Is it possible to install let's say Virtual Box inside a Qube? I've done some reading and all people seem to say is that it should be possible, but nothing conclusive.

this should be a faq somewhere, it keeps getting brought up.

xen supports nested virtualization, see here: https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Nested_Virtualization_in_Xen

but, this is disabled in qubes because of the large attack surface it introduces. containers, like docker and lxc, are possible, as is emulation like running qemu without kvm extensions or virtualbox with 32bit guests with acceleration turned off.

you could make your own qubes build with it on. look for marmarek in qubes-devel for threads on that.

adoni...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2017, 12:03:47 AM2/11/17
to qubes-users, adoni...@gmail.com
Hi guys, thanks for the responses, I will have a look at it.

What I need in this case in particular requires VBox, it is Genymotion, an Android emulator.

Andrew David Wong

Feb 11, 2017, 2:28:12 AM2/11/17
to pixel fairy, qubes-users, adoni...@gmail.com

pixel fairy

Feb 11, 2017, 2:35:15 AM2/11/17
On Friday, February 10, 2017 at 9:03:47 PM UTC-8, adoni...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi guys, thanks for the responses, I will have a look at it.
>
> What I need in this case in particular requires VBox, it is Genymotion, an Android emulator.

this might help.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-devel/5thjxcHcMFw/YQfiTZ4qDwAJ

heres a quick guide to stand alone vms, https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/hvm/

adoni...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2017, 8:35:27 AM2/11/17
to qubes-users, adoni...@gmail.com

Hmmmm.. so Windows and then try to emulate android... I may give it a go, although I'd rather have a Linux VM with VBox in it

Tai...@gmx.com

Feb 11, 2017, 8:45:17 AM2/11/17
to adoni...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Windows? no that's just the guide obviously you can use linux.

I can't see any reason as to why virt wouldn't work on a HVM assuming
the correct cpu flags are passed through.