Maccchanger, debian9 template, Screensave

Finsh

May 27, 2017, 10:24:38 AM5/27/17
to qubes-users
Hello,
ive installed Qubes now on my Lenovo X1C, and so far, im really happy with it.
But of course, i do have some minor issues.

1: Maccchanger.

I wanted to install the Macchanger, and followed closely the Instructions.
It all worked fine, the service is up, but its not changing the actual Macadress.
My Guess is, its not possible with the wifimodule of Lenovo?
So i tried to use the debian9 template ive installed instead, but i cant get an internetconnection with it, maybe debian is missing the hardware-driver?
if so, how do i get and install it in the terminal?(im sry, im pretty new to linux)
I know it works with the method using the Networkmanager, since if done it that way with this very same model under Ubuntu with a friends Computer.

2. Thunderbird/G-chrome.

When im clicking on a link in thunderbird, it is opening it in Google chrome?
I dont know how this is possible, i didnt add Google chrome to the selected Applications in this particular VM (i only use non-OSS software in the "untrusted" vm)

3. Eyecandy

Is there a possibility to customize the Xscreensaver wallpaper? it looks really ugly.

hellp is much appreciated,

greetings from Germany

Finsh

May 27, 2017, 11:04:15 AM5/27/17
to qubes-users

> 2. Thunderbird/G-chrome.
>
> When im clicking on a link in thunderbird, it is opening it in Google chrome?
> I dont know how this is possible, i didnt add Google chrome to the selected Applications in this particular VM (i only use non-OSS software in the "untrusted" vm)

Please, forget about the Second Question.It was remarkable stupid, i didnt fully unterstand the use of the Templates untill now.

rob_66

May 27, 2017, 12:36:08 PM5/27/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Finsh:
> 1: Maccchanger.
> maybe debian is missing the hardware-driver?
> if so, how do i get and install it in the terminal?

Hi, Finsh.
I'm not an expert either, but the following worked for me on my –
different – machine:

In your macchanger-debian9-VM, let's call it 'spoofVM', you open a
terminal and perform this to get (above the output of my computer):

user@spoofVM:~$ lspci -knn
00:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265
[8086:095a] (rev 59)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 [8086:5100]
Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
Kernel modules: iwlwifi

If you're lucky, the iwlwifi package
(https://packages.debian.org/stretch/firmware-iwlwifi) contains your
network controller as well, and you follow the installation instructions
here: https://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi (replace Debian 8 "Jessie" with
Debian 9 "Stretch")

If not, at least the prodedure should be clear.

> 3. Eyecandy
> Is there a possibility to customize the Xscreensaver wallpaper?

Did you already play around with 'System Tools > Screensaver' under the
white on blue 'Q'-menu (probably in the top left corner)?

Good luck and best regards,
rob

Chris Laprise

May 27, 2017, 2:02:29 PM5/27/17
to Finsh, qubes-users
On 05/27/2017 10:24 AM, Finsh wrote:
> Hello,
> ive installed Qubes now on my Lenovo X1C, and so far, im really happy with it.
> But of course, i do have some minor issues.
>
> 1: Maccchanger.
>
> I wanted to install the Macchanger, and followed closely the Instructions.
> It all worked fine, the service is up, but its not changing the actual Macadress.
> My Guess is, its not possible with the wifimodule of Lenovo?
> So i tried to use the debian9 template ive installed instead, but i cant get an internetconnection with it, maybe debian is missing the hardware-driver?
> if so, how do i get and install it in the terminal?(im sry, im pretty new to linux)
> I know it works with the method using the Networkmanager, since if done it that way with this very same model under Ubuntu with a friends Computer.

This is the type of feature that requires integrated management; a
collection of scripts and one-shot commands won't work properly. The
best option is to use Network Manager 1.4.2 or later and turn on address
randomization.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@openmailbox.org
https://twitter.com/ttaskett

Finsh

May 28, 2017, 12:43:08 PM5/28/17
to qubes-users
Thanks,
my wifi in the debian9 template should work now, ill gonna verify it in 2 hours.Is there a particular reason fedora is the default template for sys-net?

Wy is the Macchanger method in the documentaion the way you should use to change the maccadress?
It looks a lot easyer to me just to update Networkmanager in fedora and use this Methode?

also, can someone please tell me whats the terminal Command for locking the screen? i want to make a shortcut with the Windows-button for quickly locking the screen.

greetings

Reg Tiangha

May 28, 2017, 1:12:26 PM5/28/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 05/28/2017 10:43 AM, Finsh wrote:
> Wy is the Macchanger method in the documentaion the way you should use to change the maccadress?
> It looks a lot easyer to me just to update Networkmanager in fedora and use this Methode?

Because the version of NetworkManager that supports randomizing the MAC
address properly doesn't appear until Fedora 25. So the other method is
the only way to do it on older Fedora templates (and on Debian 8 as well).

Chris Laprise

May 28, 2017, 2:13:16 PM5/28/17
to Reg Tiangha, qubes...@googlegroups.com, Finsh
Since Finsh is already using Debian 9, which has the newer NM, I think
that method should be used. The macchanger scripts are unreliable.

Finsh

May 28, 2017, 2:19:10 PM5/28/17
to qubes-users
thanks, that makes sense. can anybody explain to me how to update the Networkmanager in Fedora-24?

dnf --showduplicates list NetworkManager only shows older versions...

greetings.

Reg Tiangha

May 28, 2017, 2:56:49 PM5/28/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Again, the version of Network Manager that properly randomizes MAC
addresses doesn't appear until Fedora 25.

If you really want to get it on Fedora 24, you'll need to compile it
yourself. But depending on what libraries are included in Fedora 24, it
might not be possible without upgrading the libraries too (it may or may
not be the case, but that is certainly the case with Debian 8).

Finsh

May 28, 2017, 3:14:34 PM5/28/17
to qubes-users
oh ok, thanks.well, that is very unfortunate.so i will have to use the debian-9 template for sys-net.

an other question, how do i remove templates ?
i tried to remove fedora-23, but it still visible at the applicationsmenu.

command:
$ sudo yum remove qubes-template-fedora-23

Reg Tiangha

May 28, 2017, 4:00:36 PM5/28/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 05/28/2017 01:14 PM, Finsh wrote:
> oh ok, thanks.well, that is very unfortunate.so i will have to use the debian-9 template for sys-net.

Well, that's not exactly true. You could take that fedora-24 (or
fedora-24-minimal) template, clone it, and then upgrade the clone to
Fedora 25.

[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-clone fedora-24 fedora-25
[user@dom0 ~]$ truncate -s 5GB /var/tmp/template-upgrade-cache.img
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-run -a fedora-25 gnome-terminal
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-block -A fedora-25
dom0:/var/tmp/template-upgrade-cache.img
[user@fedora-25 ~]$ sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/xvdi
[user@fedora-25 ~]$ sudo mount /dev/xvdi /mnt/removable
[user@fedora-25 ~]$ sudo dnf clean all
[user@fedora-25 ~]$ sudo dnf --releasever=25
--setopt=cachedir=/mnt/removable distro-sync

(Shut down TemplateVM by any normal means.)

[user@dom0 ~]$ rm /var/tmp/template-upgrade-cache.img
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-trim-template fedora-25

Assuming Network Manager is already installed in that fedora-24
template, it should get upgraded to version 1.4.0 after the whole
template gets upgraded to Fedora 25. Be warned that there maybe be some
graphical bugs still present with some applications due to the switch to
Wayland, which is why I think there's no official Qubes Fedora 25
template even though there's already an official FC25 Qubes repository.
But for something as sys-net, it should work fine; I had that running on
my laptop for a while before I switched my sys-net to Debian 9.

Reg Tiangha

May 28, 2017, 4:05:22 PM5/28/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Ugh. Word-wrap screwed up the commands. Let me try again:

In dom0:

[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-clone fedora-24 fedora-25
[user@dom0 ~]$ truncate -s 5GB /var/tmp/template-upgrade-cache.img
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-run -a fedora-25 gnome-terminal
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-block -A fedora-25 dom0:/var/tmp/template-upgrade-cache.img (all one line)

Then open a terminal on the fedora-25 template and run:

[user@fedora-25 ~]$ sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/xvdi
[user@fedora-25 ~]$ sudo mount /dev/xvdi /mnt/removable
[user@fedora-25 ~]$ sudo dnf clean all
[user@fedora-25 ~]$ sudo dnf --releasever=25 --setopt=cachedir=/mnt/removable distro-sync (all one line)

Shut down TemplateVM by any normal means. Then in dom0:

Finsh

May 28, 2017, 4:20:42 PM5/28/17
to qubes-users
thanks, ive already made a fed25 template(not tested so far) I followed the instructiosn on the documentation site, what are the differences to your methode?

Reg Tiangha

May 28, 2017, 4:29:08 PM5/28/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 05/28/2017 02:20 PM, Finsh wrote:
> thanks, ive already made a fed25 template(not tested so far) I followed the instructiosn on the documentation site, what are the differences to your methode?

If your fedora-25 template already works properly, then there's no
difference. I copy/pasted mine from the Qubes website and changed it to
work going from fc24 to fc25 instead of fc23 to fc24.

Finsh

May 28, 2017, 4:32:43 PM5/28/17
to qubes-users
thanks.
anybody about the question how to completly remove templates? its kinda unnerving to still see debian8 , fedora23 etc in the menu...