Qubes 3.2 i3 log in issue

dl...@msn.com

Nov 21, 2018, 4:43:17 PM11/21/18
to qubes-users
I've been using Qubes 3.2 for less than two months after installing on my laptop. Today, I used terminal with apt-get install i3 and then after downloading it from the repository, typed 'i3', which it then changed the layout of the windows open to vertical. I shut down the laptop and attempted to log in and have received incorrect password, this happens regardless of xfce, i3, or i3 with log. I jumped the restart too soon, but not certain what to do to fix this mistake.

Vasilis

Nov 24, 2018, 7:40:32 AM11/24/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

dl...@msn.com:
> I've been using Qubes 3.2 for less than two months after installing on my laptop. Today, I used terminal with apt-get install i3 and then after downloading it from the repository, typed 'i3', which it then changed the layout of the windows open to vertical.

i3 is a tiling window manager [1] and it should not be used by "typing" i3,
please read the i3 Qubes documentation [2] for more information.

[1] https://www.i3wm.org
[2] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/i3/

Cheers,
~Vasilis
--
Fingerprint: 8FD5 CF5F 39FC 03EB B382 7470 5FBF 70B1 D126 0162
Pubkey: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5FBF70B1D1260162

signature.asc

unman

Nov 24, 2018, 9:10:55 PM11/24/18
to qubes-users
On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 01:43:16PM -0800, dl...@msn.com wrote:
> I've been using Qubes 3.2 for less than two months after installing on my laptop. Today, I used terminal with apt-get install i3 and then after downloading it from the repository, typed 'i3', which it then changed the layout of the windows open to vertical. I shut down the laptop and attempted to log in and have received incorrect password, this happens regardless of xfce, i3, or i3 with log. I jumped the restart too soon, but not certain what to do to fix this mistake.

It doesnt seem likely that the window manager has caused this. Depending
on the password, have you check to make sure that the kboard is set as
expected? (Language/key mappings)

If you genuinely cant log in at all,, then you can reset the password
using any live distro. (I'm assuming you are able to enter the encryption
password correctly.)
If you need help with this, there are many guides online. If you get
stuck reply here.

unman