No vpn-handler-openvpn in service tab

Philip Pians

Jul 1, 2019, 11:13:56 PM7/1/19
to qubes-users
Using instructions to create VPN appvm (with provides network), no service called vpn-handler-openvpn, or any other with VPN in name under service tab, nor do any of the other VMs. Tried adding “network connections” from applications tab, and can select to import a VPN configuration then can’t proceed to do anything once file is selected because everything is greyed out.
I’ve looked and looked for help setting up VPN but info seems to be identical and not address this problem. Please help, if I can’t get past first step...

Philip Pians

Jul 1, 2019, 11:18:43 PM7/1/19
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 3:13:56 AM UTC, Philip Pians wrote:
> Using instructions to create VPN appvm (with provides network), no service called vpn-handler-openvpn, or any other with VPN in name under service tab, nor do any of the other VMs. Tried adding “network connections” from applications tab, and can select to import a VPN configuration then can’t proceed to do anything once file is selected because everything is greyed out.
> I’ve looked and looked for help setting up VPN but info seems to be identical and not address this problem. Please help, if I can’t get past first step...

Edit: Here is instructions I followed:
https://github.com/tasket/Qubes-vpn-support
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/

Chris Laprise

Jul 2, 2019, 12:36:22 AM7/2/19
to Philip Pians, qubes-users
You should only follow one of these, not both. I assume you meant the
first one...

The way to add a new service here is to just type it on the line and
click the plus sign.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

Philip Pians

Jul 2, 2019, 1:37:58 AM7/2/19
to qubes-users
Yes, quite a few threads link to the first one and seems more useful than the out of date second one. I’m a little embarrassed, thought I need to select from the drop-down menu…
Now at second step, there’s no such file or directory called vpn in /rw/config… can I just make this directory? Or is it supposed to exist with files in it?

Sphere

Jul 2, 2019, 3:24:47 AM7/2/19
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 5:37:58 AM UTC, Philip Pians wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 4:36:22 AM UTC, Chris Laprise wrote:
> > >
> > > Edit: Here is instructions I followed:
> > > https://github.com/tasket/Qubes-vpn-support
> > > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/
> >
> > You should only follow one of these, not both. I assume you meant the
> > first one...
> >
> > The way to add a new service here is to just type it on the line and
> > click the plus sign.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Chris Laprise
> > https://github.com/tasket
> > https://twitter.com/ttaskett
> > PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB 4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886
>
> Yes, quite a few threads link to the first one and seems more useful than the out of date second one. I’m a little embarrassed, thought I need to select from the drop-down menu…
> Now at second step, there’s no such file or directory called vpn in /rw/config… can I just make this directory? Or is it supposed to exist with files in it?

Usually for those cases you can just make a directory there and the service will start running
Note that you have to make this directory in the template VM that your VPN qube is using so that you won't have to do this every single time you start your VPN qube.

Chris Laprise

Jul 2, 2019, 12:33:31 PM7/2/19
to Sphere, qubes-users
This is actually not the case. You should make the directory in the
proxyVM; it will stay there even after rebooting.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net

Philip Pians

Jul 3, 2019, 5:34:32 PM7/3/19
to qubes-users
Must be doing something wrong? Wanted to do the test stage and discovered no file called vpn-client-conf. There’s only Openvpn.ovpn; ca.crt; client.crt, and client.key that download from VPN provider. Help please.

Chris Laprise

Jul 3, 2019, 11:49:42 PM7/3/19
to Philip Pians, qubes-users
On 7/3/19 5:34 PM, Philip Pians wrote:
> Must be doing something wrong? Wanted to do the test stage and discovered no file called vpn-client-conf. There’s only Openvpn.ovpn; ca.crt; client.crt, and client.key that download from VPN provider. Help please.

Where it says:

sudo cp US_East.ovpn vpn-client.conf

...the 'US_East.ovpn' is just an example. So you would do this instead:

sudo cp Openvpn.ovpn vpn-client.conf

Philip Pians

Jul 4, 2019, 2:32:55 AM7/4/19
to qubes-users
Ooh, overlooked that step. How about the directory called “Qubes-vpn-support” that is supposed to be copied? Or is that another directory I can just create? Qubes is starting to make me feel computer illiterate since can’t even get the basics right.

l1am...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2019, 4:16:05 AM7/4/19
to qubes-users
Qubes-vpn-support is the repository at https://github.com/tasket/Qubes-vpn-support.
You need to clone it with these commands:
1. Install git if its not installed with "sudo dnf install git" or "sudo apt install git"
2. Run "git clone https://github.com/tasket/Qubes-vpn-support.git"
3. Then the "Qubes-vpn-support" directory will exist

Chris Laprise

Jul 4, 2019, 11:51:46 AM7/4/19
to qubes-users, Philip Pians
If you're not familiar with git, you can easily download
Qubes-vpn-support from a browser: On the Qubes-vpn-support project page,
click the "Clone or download" button then click "Download ZIP".

If you downloaded it in a different VM than your VPN (proxy) VM, just
Qubes copy it there:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/copying-files/

This is a basic Qubes skill. You may want to review the Common Tasks
section of the docs to get familiar with Qubes:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/#common-tasks

Philip Pians

Jul 5, 2019, 2:37:00 AM7/5/19
to qubes-users
…Followed instructions, next day start up Qubes, got networking error, opened settings for sys-net, saw under networking it said (none) (current), tried changing it to sys-firewall (default) and got “[Dom0] Error while changing settin (sic) ERROR: Basic tab: Loops in network are unsupported”. Immediately after that the internet connection was disconnected, and it won’t reconnect even by putting networking back to (none) (current). I tried all the different networking options all of them give the same “Loops” error message and nothing. By randomly clicking the firewall tab, it says in red lettering “This qube has no networking – it will not have any network access anyway”. And a popup also says “[Dom0] Qube configuration problem! This qube has networking disabled (Basic -> Networking) network will be disabled. If you want to use firewall please enable networking”.

A DDG search yielded no hits, so my question now is, is this repairable?

Philip Pians

Jul 5, 2019, 2:42:38 AM7/5/19
to qubes-users
No, hadn’t used git before, so quite unfamiliar, but followed your instructions and it worked fine. Perhaps I overestimated my computer knowledge when deciding to install Qubes. Thanks for the help and info.

Philip Pians

Jul 5, 2019, 2:48:04 AM7/5/19
to qubes-users
Edit: There’s also a little yellow caution sign beside networking which says “Caution: default DispVM template has a different Networking setting than this Qube. Unexpected network access may occur!”

Andrew David Wong

Jul 5, 2019, 5:24:31 AM7/5/19
to Philip Pians, qubes-users

Chris Laprise

Jul 5, 2019, 10:31:02 AM7/5/19
to Philip Pians, qubes-users
On 7/5/19 2:48 AM, Philip Pians wrote:
>> …Followed instructions, next day start up Qubes, got networking error, opened settings for sys-net, saw under networking it said (none) (current), tried changing it to sys-firewall (default) and got “[Dom0] Error while changing settin (sic) ERROR: Basic tab: Loops in network are unsupported”. Immediately after that the internet connection was disconnected, and it won’t reconnect even by putting networking back to (none) (current). I tried all the different networking options all of them give the same “Loops” error message and nothing. By randomly clicking the firewall tab, it says in red lettering “This qube has no networking – it will not have any network access anyway”. And a popup also says “[Dom0] Qube configuration problem! This qube has networking disabled (Basic -> Networking) network will be disabled. If you want to use firewall please enable networking”.

The sys-net VM should always have its netvm set to (none), because its
the one VM that communicates through the hardware and not through
another VM.

Philip Pians

Jul 5, 2019, 9:05:58 PM7/5/19
to qubes-users
Hmm… First install of Qubes had networking error which couldn’t be completely rectified without fresh install. Second install seemed to have worked flawlessly, but if the DisposableVM’s networking setting is not what it should be by default, is it possible my Qubes iso is faulty? The only networking I recall changing is that of sys-net, and the VPN AppVM at time of creating if you count that? Perhaps a third install is needed? Changing sys-net networking back to (none) (current) hasn't helped being able to connect to the net again, so can't even find out if I finally got the VPN setup correctly.

Jon deps

Jul 6, 2019, 1:09:19 AM7/6/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 7/6/19 1:05 AM, Philip Pians wrote:
> Hmm… First install of Qubes had networking error which couldn’t be completely rectified without fresh install. Second install seemed to have worked flawlessly, but if the DisposableVM’s networking setting is not what it should be by default, is it possible my Qubes iso is faulty? The only networking I recall changing is that of sys-net, and the VPN AppVM at time of creating if you count that? Perhaps a third install is needed? Changing sys-net networking back to (none) (current) hasn't helped being able to connect to the net again, so can't even find out if I finally got the VPN setup correctly.

in a dom0 terminal you can do

$qubes-prefs to see what the default system-wide default_disp_vm is
or you the menus -> global settings

I advise if your concerned just do

$qube-prefs default_dispvm none

then later when you've used qubes for a while you can use the Qubes
Manager Application and go in there and change some qube to the
disposable vm you might want

like for opening pdf files from thunderbird, so you would use your Mail
AppVM (TBAVM) "qube" settings to change to 1 AppVM disposable VM
setting rather than system-wide, then you won't have to see the yellow
triangles :)

Philip Pians

Jul 6, 2019, 4:22:50 AM7/6/19
to qubes-users
Opted for the fresh install as a precaution. After following all the instructions for setting up vpn AppVM, couldn’t figure out how to turn it on, in Linux you just flick a button under vpn and it’s done. Checked website to see what my ip was, shows actual one. Tried troubleshooting tip “systemctl status qubes-vpn-handler” got error “Unit qubes-vpn-handler.service could not be found”.
Is that different than the vpn-handler-openvpn that I had to add in the service tab of the AppVM? If not, why isn’t it found?

Chris Laprise

Jul 6, 2019, 5:17:39 AM7/6/19
to Philip Pians, qubes-users
On 7/6/19 4:22 AM, Philip Pians wrote:
> Opted for the fresh install as a precaution. After following all the instructions for setting up vpn AppVM, couldn’t figure out how to turn it on, in Linux you just flick a button under vpn and it’s done. Checked website to see what my ip was, shows actual one. Tried troubleshooting tip “systemctl status qubes-vpn-handler” got error “Unit qubes-vpn-handler.service could not be found”.
> Is that different than the vpn-handler-openvpn that I had to add in the service tab of the AppVM? If not, why isn’t it found?

I won't get into service naming conventions here.

Instructions say to restart the proxyVM (i.e. the vpn appVM) to start
the connection. That means the connection starts when the proxyVM starts.

The service wasn't found because if you install it directly into a
proxyVM, it is added to the OS on each boot from a system startup script
(that's because you chose not to add it to the OS template). So it won't
be registered or active right after installation; a restart is necessary.