No network (HELP)

a...@it-minds.dk

Jan 19, 2018, 5:48:56 AM1/19/18
to qubes-users
Qubes 4 RC3

So, I updated using current testing yesterday, and there was an update to qubes core dom0 and other changes..

Network worked fine before I shutdown my machine, but now when I try to start sys-net I get an error saying "Not enough memory to start domain 'sys-net'"

I have tried rebooting, and I have tried upscaling and downscaling the initial memory to sys-net with qvm-prefs sys-net memory XX

I can start my templateVM's with no issue (eg fedora-26 which is my template for sys-net/sys-firewall, and I have tried starting my debian 9 template).

What can I do :S

Needless to say it is pretty fatal for me that I have no network.

Thanks in advance.

awokd

Jan 19, 2018, 7:44:06 AM1/19/18
to a...@it-minds.dk, qubes-users
On Fri, January 19, 2018 10:48 am, aaq via qubes-users wrote:
> Qubes 4 RC3
>

> So, I updated using current testing yesterday, and there was an update to
> qubes core dom0 and other changes..
>
> Network worked fine before I shutdown my machine, but now when I try to
> start sys-net I get an error saying "Not enough memory to start domain
> 'sys-net'"

Try switching sys-net's template to debian-9?

Tom Zander

Jan 19, 2018, 8:08:21 AM1/19/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, a...@it-minds.dk
On Friday, 19 January 2018 11:48:56 CET aaq via qubes-users wrote:
> What can I do

Could this have something to do with the broken qmemman?

Try turning off memory-management and give the sys-net an initial amount of
something like 800MB.

also check if xentop has anything weird in the first line with memory usage.

Good luck!

--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io

awokd

Jan 19, 2018, 8:14:41 AM1/19/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, a...@it-minds.dk, qubes-users
Check out this issue too:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3474 . See if your
virt_mode is pvh and try to change it to hvm.

a...@it-minds.dk

Jan 19, 2018, 8:44:26 AM1/19/18
to qubes-users
Den fredag den 19. januar 2018 kl. 14.08.21 UTC+1 skrev Tom Zander:
> On Friday, 19 January 2018 11:48:56 CET aaq via qubes-users wrote:
> > What can I do
>
> Could this have something to do with the broken qmemman?
>
> Try turning off memory-management and give the sys-net an initial amount of
> something like 800MB.
>
> also check if xentop has anything weird in the first line with memory usage.
>
> Good luck!

Can you give me specific instructions to where I can do these things :S

Sorry!

I know there is something in the grub config for dom0 memory management, is it that?

Where do I find xentop?

I can see in /var/log/xen/console/hypervisor.log that it complains about "initial memory low", but I dunno if that's new..

I tried awokds recommendations:
switching template to debian yields same message about memory being too low.
virt_mode already is hvm.

Thanks for your time and help.

a...@it-minds.dk

Jan 19, 2018, 8:48:59 AM1/19/18
to qubes-users

Sorry, I didn't release xentop was a tool like top/htop...
My laptop has 8gb of RAM, Qubes has reserved 4gb to dom0 through grub config.

Xentop says that approx. 3.8gb is free.

So I really don't think the issues lies there.

awokd

Jan 19, 2018, 9:28:27 AM1/19/18
to a...@it-minds.dk, qubes-users
On Fri, January 19, 2018 1:48 pm, aaq via qubes-users wrote:
> Den fredag den 19. januar 2018 kl. 14.44.26 UTC+1 skrev a...@it-minds.dk:
>
>> Den fredag den 19. januar 2018 kl. 14.08.21 UTC+1 skrev Tom Zander:
>>
>>> On Friday, 19 January 2018 11:48:56 CET aaq via qubes-users wrote:
>>>

>>> Try turning off memory-management and give the sys-net an initial
>>> amount of something like 800MB.

Go into sys-net's VM Settings, Advanced tab. Uncheck "include in memory
balancing" and increase initial memory to 800.

See if there are any other errors in dom0 with "sudo journalctl -b" when
you start the VM.

a...@it-minds.dk

Jan 19, 2018, 9:33:50 AM1/19/18
to qubes-users

Can I disable it through qvm-prefs? Because my qubes manager (the GUI is back again now) is broken..

awokd

Jan 19, 2018, 9:44:35 AM1/19/18
to a...@it-minds.dk, qubes-users
Yes, type qvm-prefs sys-net to see a list of settings. qubes-vm-settings
sys-net should also give you the gui.

a...@it-minds.dk

Jan 19, 2018, 9:48:08 AM1/19/18
to qubes-users

Sorry.

Which setting exactly disables dynamic memory allocation, because I can't seem to figure it out. If I set maxmem to 0, will it disable it?

The GUI is broken. It comes up with an error if I try to start it, no matter how I try to start it. It complains about a bug, but that isn't really important right now.

a...@it-minds.dk

Jan 19, 2018, 9:53:55 AM1/19/18
to qubes-users

Okay!

I set the maxmem to 1 (cannot set it to 0) and initial mem to 800.

sys-net starts now.

I am updating my system now, hopefully this will disappear on its own.

Any deeper insight as to the 'why'?
I am kind of confused..

Without your guys' suggestions I would have been lost..

Thanks a bunch!

awokd

Jan 19, 2018, 10:05:46 AM1/19/18
to a...@it-minds.dk, qubes-users
On Fri, January 19, 2018 2:53 pm, aaq via qubes-users wrote:

> I set the maxmem to 1 (cannot set it to 0) and initial mem to 800.

> sys-net starts now.

Good! In theory it should work too if you leave maxmem at 4000.

> I am updating my system now, hopefully this will disappear on its own.
>

> Any deeper insight as to the 'why'?
> I am kind of confused..

Zander?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jan 19, 2018, 10:39:31 AM1/19/18
to a...@it-minds.dk, qubes-users

Tom Zander

Jan 19, 2018, 4:49:55 PM1/19/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
On Friday, 19 January 2018 16:38:54 CET Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Specifically qmemman was broken in qubes-core-dom0 in 4.0.16 and 4.0.17.

Can confirm it works much better 4.0.18 than it ever did before :)

a...@it-minds.dk

Jan 22, 2018, 4:19:06 AM1/22/18
to qubes-users
Thanks again!