Upgrading from Qubes 3.1 to 3.2 fail

donoban

Jul 31, 2016, 7:53:30 AM7/31/16
to qubes-users
Hi,

I tried to do the experimental process for upgrading to Qubes 3.2. I
followed the steps from https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/upgrade-to-r3.2/

All went fine until I rebooted the system (step 7). After rebooting I
had a lot of packages for update on dom0 (more than 1000), and when I
tried to update them it failed because some dependency problems (I
remember some perl packages but maybe there were more packages with
problems).

I didn't extract logs because I needed the computer working ASAP so I
installed it from scratch and restored my backup but I have another
computer on 3.1 which I would like to upgrade to 3.2 and I could try to
do the process again and extract useful information.

I had all my VM's with Debian template, I had indeed fedora template
removed, maybe this could affect to the upgrade process.

Some comments after fresh install 3.2:

- Debian and Whonix-GW seems up to date after install, while fedora-23
and Whonix-WS needed updates. I don't know why...

- I have sys-usb working fine but only with Fedora template, could I
migrate it to Debian?

Well, it looks very nice. Thanks for your work guys.

Regards.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 31, 2016, 8:33:07 AM7/31/16
to donoban, qubes-users

donoban

Jul 31, 2016, 9:32:33 AM7/31/16
to qubes-users

El 31 de julio de 2016 14:33:00 CEST, "Marek Marczykowski-Górecki" <marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> escribió:

>On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 01:53:26PM +0200, donoban wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to do the experimental process for upgrading to Qubes 3.2. I
>> followed the steps from https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/upgrade-to-r3.2/
>>

>> All went fine until I rebooted the system (step 7). After rebooting I
>had a
>> lot of packages for update on dom0 (more than 1000), and when I tried
>> update them it failed because some dependency problems (I remember
>some perl
>> packages but maybe there were more packages with problems).
>
>Those packages should be already handled in step 4.

I checked Qubes version and it was 3.2. I will analyze more depth this step when I try to upgrade my other computer. Probably tomorrow.

>> I didn't extract logs because I needed the computer working ASAP so I
>> installed it from scratch and restored my backup but I have another
>computer
>> on 3.1 which I would like to upgrade to 3.2 and I could try to do the
>> process again and extract useful information.
>>
>> I had all my VM's with Debian template, I had indeed fedora template
>> removed, maybe this could affect to the upgrade process.
>
>Yes, this could affect the upgrade. If that's the case it is a bug we
>should fix before final release.
>
>> Some comments after fresh install 3.2:
>>
>> - Debian and Whonix-GW seems up to date after install, while
>fedora-23 and
>> Whonix-WS needed updates. I don't know why...
>
>This shouldn't matter as it's good practice to update the system after
>installation anyway. In a month all the templates will have some
>updates
>pending.
>
>> - I have sys-usb working fine but only with Fedora template, could I
>migrate
>> it to Debian?
>
>What are the problems with Debian template there?

USB keyboard and mouse doesn't work.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 31, 2016, 9:36:44 AM7/31/16
to donoban, qubes-users

donoban

Jul 31, 2016, 1:04:57 PM7/31/16
to qubes-users
On 07/31/2016 03:36 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
>>> migrate
>>>
>>> What are the problems with Debian template there?
>>
>> USB keyboard and mouse doesn't work.
>
> Make sure you have qubes-input-proxy package installed. It is not
> included in default template image.

Installed qubes-input-proxy-sender and works fine now, thanks Marek.

raah...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2016, 12:59:08 PM8/1/16
to qubes-users, don...@riseup.net

I had the same exact issue with the experimental upgrade. I also ended up just doing a fresh install.

donoban

Aug 2, 2016, 5:44:45 AM8/2/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

donoban

Aug 2, 2016, 8:18:24 AM8/2/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 2, 2016, 4:57:50 PM8/2/16
to donoban, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, Aug 02, 2016 at 02:18:20PM +0200, donoban wrote:

> On 08/02/2016 11:44 AM, donoban wrote:

> >> Those packages should be already handled in step 4.
> >
> > Ok, doing same process on my other computer I've noticed I was
> > confused the first time. When I checked the qubes-core-dom0 I
> > though it said version 3.2.X installed, but it was AVAILABLE. So
> > there the dependency problem exists already in this step but I
> > didn't notice.
> >
> > Doing the command with --clean doesn't help. How can I provide an
> > useful log of this?
> >
> > Regards.
> >

> I've pasted the update log:
>
> https://paste.debian.net/786543

Could you paste also list of packages in dom0 (rpm -qa)? This should
allow me to reproduce the problem.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

raah...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2016, 11:22:59 PM8/2/16
to qubes-users, don...@riseup.net
same exact thing happened to me.

donoban

Aug 3, 2016, 3:35:50 AM8/3/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

donoban

Aug 3, 2016, 4:05:57 AM8/3/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 5, 2016, 2:27:10 PM8/5/16

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 09:35:45AM +0200, donoban wrote:
> On 08/02/2016 10:57 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> >
> > Could you paste also list of packages in dom0 (rpm -qa)? This
> > should allow me to reproduce the problem.
> >

> Yes Marek! Here is it:
> https://paste.debian.net/786712
>
> The only think that I did on both install was installing Xfce after
> the default KDE install (or maybe xfce was already installed?), I am
> not sure.
>
> I hope it helps.

I've added additional step to the instruction[1] for Debian-based UpdateVM:

If you are using Debian-based VM as UpdateVM (sys-firewall by default),
you need to download few more packages manually, but do not install them
yet:

sudo qubes-dom0-update systemd-compat-libs perl-libwww-perl
perl-Term-ANSIColor perl-Term-Cap gdk-pixbuf2-xlib speexdsp
qubes-mgmt-salt-admin-tools
(...)
Transaction Summary
Install 15 Packages (+ 31 Dependent packages)
Upgrade 4 Packages (+200 Dependent packages)

Total download size: 173 M
Is this ok [y/d/N]: n
Exiting on user command
Your transaction was saved, rerun it with:
yum load-transaction /tmp/yum_save_tx.....

Please let me know if that helps.

[1] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/upgrade-to-r3.2/

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

donoban

Aug 6, 2016, 3:10:49 PM8/6/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
It didn't :(

I've attacehd current log.
log.tar.gz

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 6, 2016, 4:04:10 PM8/6/16
to donoban, qubes...@googlegroups.com

donoban

Aug 6, 2016, 5:51:26 PM8/6/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like I've sent wrong log, I will check it.

donoban

Aug 7, 2016, 5:49:20 AM8/7/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 06 Aug 2016 21:51:14 +0000
donoban <don...@riseup.net> wrote:

> It sounds like I've sent wrong log, I will check it.

Here is the right log :)
log.tar.bz2

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 7, 2016, 8:40:06 AM8/7/16
to donoban, qubes...@googlegroups.com

donoban

Aug 9, 2016, 3:18:44 AM8/9/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 14:39:59 +0200
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki <marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 07, 2016 at 11:49:04AM +0200, donoban wrote:
> > On Sat, 06 Aug 2016 21:51:14 +0000
> > donoban <don...@riseup.net> wrote:
> >
> > > It sounds like I've sent wrong log, I will check it.
> > >

> > Here is the right log :)
>
> > installing package kernel-1000:4.4.14-11.pvops.qubes.x86_64 needs
> > 17MB on the /boot filesystem
>
> Looks like out of disk space... Try to remove older kernel packages.

Ops, sorry Marek I did a too small boot partition and I have to do it
always when I install a kernel update.

> > 12:17:23 : YUM: file
> > /usr/share/locale/ar/LC_MESSAGES/kactivities5.mo conflicts between
> > attempted installs of kf5-kactivities-libs-5.14.0-1.fc23.x86_64 and
> > kactivitymanagerd-5.7.2-1.fc23.x86_64
>
> Try to remove kactivitymanagerd before upgrade. But do review package
> list needed to remove too - if only a single package, that's ok, but
> if almost a whole KDE, you may not want to do this. Unless you want to
> switch to Xfce anyway ;)

I'm using Xfce since Qubes 3.0 so I don't mind deleting all KDE,
however I don't find kactivimanagerd package.

Anyway now I'm only getting this error:

file /usr/sbin/blkdeactivate from install of
device-mapper-1.02.109-2.fc23.x86_64 conflicts with file from package
lvm2-2.02.106-1.fc20.x86_64

And if I try to remove it I get:

Dependencies Resolved

==================================================================================================================================