i9-9980XE or i9-7980XE on Gigabyte X299 DESIGNARE EX or AMD 2990WX TR on Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX?

jrsm...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2019, 7:11:13 PM3/15/19
to qubes-users
There's nothing even close to these on the HCL, but would like to know if anyone has attempted either of these with 4.0.1 and succeeded. These are essentially the same base hardware as given in the BoM for the recently announced System76 Thelio Major open source hardware desktop systems.

Chris Laprise

Mar 15, 2019, 9:30:54 PM3/15/19
to jrsm...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On 3/15/19 7:11 PM, jrsm...@gmail.com wrote:
> There's nothing even close to these on the HCL, but would like to know if anyone has attempted either of these with 4.0.1 and succeeded. These are essentially the same base hardware as given in the BoM for the recently announced System76 Thelio Major open source hardware desktop systems.

I'm overdue to add more submissions to the list. One of them is for a
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P with an 8 core AMD...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/yhA8XilRdFI35kOAFI1nKlswoUs7Sk9eD-1l5q1UYdocprj57NyLGqi4WFd-B40aZSJgi4ILdmPa5QfQ_eo53zHcerJAWHnmyyY5pYpZ1pE%3D%40protonmail.com

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

Foppe de Haan

Mar 16, 2019, 3:00:38 AM3/16/19
to qubes-users
On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 12:11:13 AM UTC+1, jrsm...@gmail.com wrote:
> There's nothing even close to these on the HCL, but would like to know if anyone has attempted either of these with 4.0.1 and succeeded. These are essentially the same base hardware as given in the BoM for the recently announced System76 Thelio Major open source hardware desktop systems.

other TR-based systems have been used (see https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4309), and beyond that you just need kernel support, which there is. So you should be fine (with either, though the former will ofc set you back well over a grand more, for less i/o, threads).

jrsm...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2019, 11:46:22 PM3/18/19
to qubes-users
I knew that I get more cores per $ with AMD but hadn’t heard that IO would be better too. Can you paste a link?

Foppe de Haan

Mar 19, 2019, 1:37:57 AM3/19/19
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 3:46:22 AM UTC, jrsm...@gmail.com wrote:
> I knew that I get more cores per $ with AMD but hadn’t heard that IO would be better too. Can you paste a link?

well, you get 64 pcie lanes rather than the maximum of 44 intel offers (they sometimes like to write x299 offers "68", but 24 of those are hugely bottlenecked by the fact that the chipset only has a pcie gen3 x4 connection with the CPU).

Tai...@gmx.com

Apr 8, 2019, 2:27:34 PM4/8/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 03/15/2019 07:11 PM, jrsm...@gmail.com wrote:
> There's nothing even close to these on the HCL, but would like to know if anyone has attempted either of these with 4.0.1 and succeeded. These are essentially the same base hardware as given in the BoM for the recently announced System76 Thelio Major open source hardware desktop systems.

System76 is lying/a scam there is no such thing as a new x86 system that
is "open source hardware" it is simply impossible due to ME, FSP,
hardware code signing enforcement etc and the lack of documentation. Not
to mention their lies about "made in usa" which is impossible since
there are no american made x86 cpus, motherboards, components etc. They
made a metal case in the us and claimed it as a great accomplishment as
if a computer is a metal case and nothing else.

If you want an american made computer with open source computer you buy
OpenPOWER from raptorcs - they are the only honest company out there the
rest are lying but for some reason they get zero publicity but the tech
media loves the hipster pur.idiots and shitstem76.