Qubes refuses to boot

iReallyWantQubesToWork

Dec 18, 2016, 5:15:09 PM12/18/16
to qubes-users
I burned the Qubes ISO to a USB (using Rufus) and completed the installation without any problems, except that Qubes refuses to boot on the installed drive. I installed it onto my external HDD and have also installed it onto a 32 GB USB, but neither work, so the USB drive isn't the problem. I have also tried to boot it from several different computers, all with the same result. When I try to boot from the completed installation, all I get is a period and blinking underscore/console cursor that doesn't respond to keyboard input. I never see the GRUB menu. However, if I boot from the USB installation in Windows VMWare/VirtualBox or QEMU emulator, I can see the GRUB menu fine. My main computer has an Intel i7 2670QM CPU btw. Any help would be appreciated

Chris Laprise

Dec 18, 2016, 7:32:48 PM12/18/16
to iReallyWantQubesToWork, qubes-users
On 12/18/2016 05:15 PM, iReallyWantQubesToWork wrote:
> I burned the Qubes ISO to a USB (using Rufus) and completed the installation without any problems, except that Qubes refuses to boot on the installed drive. I installed it onto my external HDD and have also installed it onto a 32 GB USB, but neither work, so the USB drive isn't the problem. I have also tried to boot it from several different computers, all with the same result. When I try to boot from the completed installation, all I get is a period and blinking underscore/console cursor that doesn't respond to keyboard input. I never see the GRUB menu. However, if I boot from the USB installation in Windows VMWare/VirtualBox or QEMU emulator, I can see the GRUB menu fine. My main computer has an Intel i7 2670QM CPU btw. Any help would be appreciated

Do you know if your system is set to boot in BIOS or UEFI mode? Maybe
switching to BIOS/legacy mode would help.

Chris

Tai...@gmx.com

Dec 19, 2016, 12:13:36 AM12/19/16
to Chris Laprise, iReallyWantQubesToWork, qubes-users
Try enabling EFI-CSM mode in your BIOS configuration.

"awesomebunny777" damn thats a cool unique handle, takes me back to the
earlier days of the internet before everyone on a mailing list had both
a first and a last name.

awesome...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2016, 2:38:38 PM12/19/16
to qubes-users, tas...@openmailbox.org, awesome...@gmail.com, Tai...@gmx.com
On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 12:13:36 AM UTC-5, Tai...@gmx.com wrote:
> Try enabling EFI-CSM mode in your BIOS configuration.
>
> "awesomebunny777" damn thats a cool unique handle, takes me back to the
> earlier days of the internet before everyone on a mailing list had both
> a first and a last name.

Yeah, I made it a really long time ago, but I never bothered to make a new one.

On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 7:32:48 PM UTC-5, Chris Laprise wrote:
> Do you know if your system is set to boot in BIOS or UEFI mode? Maybe
> switching to BIOS/legacy mode would help.
>
> Chris

When I went into my BIOS, I didn't see any option to change the boot mode or legacy any mention of legacy USB. My (pretty old) laptop didn't come with Win8, so I'm not sure it has UEFI firmware. I don't have any problems booting from any other linux distros, as I have set up a dual boot of Win7 and Kali with GRUB on my internal HDD and have a multiboot USB using grub4dos that can boot Debain, Linux Mint, etc. perfectly fine. When I boot the installer, I can see the GRUB menu fine and install it without any problems. It's just the installation drive that will not boot.

raah...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2016, 10:54:03 PM12/21/16
to qubes-users, tas...@openmailbox.org, awesome...@gmail.com, Tai...@gmx.com

maybe a silly question but can you boot another os from usb drive?

QubesPls

Dec 23, 2016, 12:42:04 AM12/23/16
to qubes-users, tas...@openmailbox.org, awesome...@gmail.com, Tai...@gmx.com, raah...@gmail.com
On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 10:54:03 PM UTC-5, raah...@gmail.com
> maybe a silly question but can you boot another os from usb drive?

Yes, I can boot other linux distros like Debian and Mint perfectly fine from my USB. Qubes installed to my external HDD (I also installed it to another USB, but both have the same result) doesn't show the GRUB menu, only a blinking cursor that's unresponsive to keyboard input.

When I tried the Qubes live image, I can select an option from the GRUB menu and it tries to boot, but fails with the following (made the drive with Rufus):
Warning: /dev/disk/by-label/Qubes-R3.1-alpha1.1-x86_64-LIVE does not exist
Warning: /dev/mapper/live-rw does not exist

I also tried to boot from the installation on the extrnal HDD on another (significantly older w/ winXP) laptop and it repeatedly reboots during the boot process (after the GRUB menu, but before entering the LUKS passphrase). However, it does boot up the live image completely fine.

Tai...@gmx.com

Dec 23, 2016, 2:09:06 AM12/23/16
to QubesPls, qubes-users, tas...@openmailbox.org, raah...@gmail.com
I have had many problems with rufus fucking up linux iso writing.

Try using dd to write the iso in linux (NOTE: BE VERY CAREFUL - Use
/dev/disk/by-id to do writing instead of /dev/sdX or else you could
easily nuke your data)

Whats the model of your laptop you want to install on? I check manual
for you to see what is up.

raah...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2016, 2:07:51 PM12/23/16
to qubes-users, tas...@openmailbox.org, awesome...@gmail.com, Tai...@gmx.com, raah...@gmail.com

from windows you can try rawrite32.exe thats what I use. https://www.netbsd.org/~martin/rawrite32/download.html might sound like a long shot, but worth a try at least. I have had Qubes usb problems myself cause either bad drive or not enough space. one time everything worked right and I was just missing a kernel I wanted to install from the repos, or for some reason I had a different default kernel, and i coudln't figure out why lol.

user

Dec 23, 2016, 4:15:51 PM12/23/16
to qubes-users, awesome...@gmail.com, tas...@openmailbox.org, raah...@gmail.com, Tai...@gmx.com

On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 2:09:06 AM UTC-5, Tai...@gmx.com wrote:
> I have had many problems with rufus fucking up linux iso writing.
>
> Try using dd to write the iso in linux (NOTE: BE VERY CAREFUL - Use
> /dev/disk/by-id to do writing instead of /dev/sdX or else you could
> easily nuke your data)
>
> Whats the model of your laptop you want to install on? I check manual
> for you to see what is up.

I don't think it's an error with writing the iso to my usb because my other (older) laptop can boot from the live usb fine. My main laptop I'm trying to boot from is an Alienware M17X (which is on the compatibility list).

So far, I've tried booting from the live iso and installed qubes with varying success. On my Alienware, I can't boot the live iso and get a blinking cursor booting the installed qubes. On an old Gateway laptop, I can boot the live iso fine, but the installed qubes reboots. Finally, on an old desktop, both the live and the installation yield a blinking cursor (with the live's appearing a few minutes after selecting from the GRUB menu).

I'm about ready to just give up and wait until Qubes gets broader hardware compatibility and stability.

raah...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2016, 6:14:58 PM12/23/16
to qubes-users, awesome...@gmail.com, tas...@openmailbox.org, raah...@gmail.com, Tai...@gmx.com
Did you check your bios settings? w/e awesomebunny said, check for usb settings or external drive settings. maybe something somewhere. and besides not burning it with rufus don't know what else to suggest. never had those live usb issues. only used it twice on two diff machines. one I built for qubes.