Qubes support for PS2 mouse / keyboard

motech man

Jul 6, 2017, 7:11:51 PM7/6/17
to qubes-users
I just tried to switch my USB keyboard and USB mouse over to the PS2 inputs with adapters but neither work.

My question is does Qubes use installable modules for PS2 support? Is support for PS2 compiled into the kernel or is it dynamic?

It may be a hardware issue, but I just thought I'd ask here about the OS.

I have only tried one keyboard and 1 mouse, the ones that came bundled with the system. They are rather fancy gaming devices, both have LEDs for decoration & backlighting.

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of current to supply either device, all look just as it plugged into a USB port. There is no signs however that Qubes recognizes input from either.

Was hoping for a simple conversion, but it doesn't look like that is likely.

0spin...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2017, 3:32:35 AM7/7/17
to qubes-users
There are quite a lot of 'modern' HIDs that no longer support ps/2 via converter; google may be able to tell you whether your devices do. ps/2 should 'just work', unless you built and are running a kernel with support disabled.

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Jul 7, 2017, 7:55:40 AM7/7/17
to qubes-users
Qubes most definitely supports PS/2 keyboards as that's how I have mine hooked up. But in order for a simple passive adapter to work the keyboard itself must support PS/2 transmission mode (totally different from USB mode). Try using a native PS/2 keyboard or buy a mechanical keyboard as these not only support PS/2 transmission mode but also come with PS/2 adapters by default.