Making a HVM VM start in headless mode

tetra...@danwin1210.me

Jan 11, 2020, 10:28:30 PM1/11/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
When I create a HVM VM, by default I have the console window of the VM
open all the time when it is running.

Sys-net is HVM by default but there is no console window.

How do I set this up for other HVM VMs?

alex.b...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2020, 3:31:15 AM1/12/20
to qubes-users
The following settings work for me:
1. Set "debug" to "False" in qvm-prefs
2. Set "gui" to "False" and "gui-emulated" to "False"

The only problem is qubes (or xen) keeps cashed info on whether to show emulated console. Sometimes the settings work immediately, sometimes after a reboot, sometimes I need to delete old vm files laying abound.

tetra...@danwin1210.me

Jan 12, 2020, 7:45:51 AM1/12/20
to alex.b...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 12:31:15AM -0800, alex.b...@gmail.com wrote:
>The following settings work for me:
>1. Set "debug" to "False" in qvm-prefs
>2. Set "gui" to "False" and "gui-emulated" to "False"
>
>The only problem is qubes (or xen) keeps cashed info on whether to show
>emulated console. Sometimes the settings work immediately, sometimes after
>a reboot, sometimes I need to delete old vm files laying abound.

Ah thanks. How do I call up the console window if I need it -- is `xl
console` (or qvm-console-dispvm) the only option?