Bug or Feature? DispVM inherits settings from calling VM

Robert Mittendorf

Oct 12, 2016, 4:50:24 AM10/12/16
to qubes-users
If I use /usr/bin/qvm-run to open an application in an disposible VM,
the dispVM inherits some setings from the calling VM

example: I use

/usr/bin/qvm-run --dispvm firefox

In work-VM. My work-VM is configured to allow intranet IPs only. The
starting dispVM is blue like the work VM, even though normal DispVMs are
red.

Also the firewall rules (intranet only) are inherited from the work VM.

mit freundlichem Gruß,

Robert Mittendorf

--
M. Sc. Informatik Robert Mittendorf

DigiTrace GmbH - Kompetenz in IT-Forensik
Geschäftsführer: Alexander Sigel, Martin Wundram
Registergericht Köln, HR B 72919
USt-IdNr: DE278529699

Zollstockgürtel 59, 50969 Köln
Telefon: 0221-6 77 86 95-2
Website: www.DigiTrace.de
E-Mail: in...@DigiTrace.de

Haben Sie schon den DigiTrace-Newsletter abonniert?
http://www.digitrace.de/de/service/newsletter

DigiTrace ist Partner der Allianz für Cyber-Sicherheit
sowie Mitglied im nrw.units Netzwerk für IT-Sicherheit:
https://www.allianz-fuer-cybersicherheit.de
http://www.nrw-units.de/netzwerk/

Andrew David Wong

Oct 12, 2016, 5:57:37 PM10/12/16
to Robert Mittendorf, qubes-users

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2016, 10:50:27 PM10/12/16
to qubes-users, mitte...@digitrace.de

feature. I use to make menu shortcuts to launch programs in dispvms inheriting firewall rules. But xfce only lets you edit already existing rules, not create new ones :( editing a config file is a little too much effort for me lol.

Robert Mittendorf

Oct 13, 2016, 6:45:35 AM10/13/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Am 10/13/2016 um 04:50 AM schrieb raah...@gmail.com:

> feature. I use to make menu shortcuts to launch programs in dispvms inheriting firewall rules. But xfce only lets you edit already existing rules, not create new ones :( editing a config file is a little too much effort for me lol.

You can edit the rules in Xfce-Dom0 via the Qubes VM Manager?!

How can this "feature" be disabled? I want to start a normal DispVM, not
a "special" DispVM.....

Use Case: Mail VM is only allowed to access Mail-Server. I want to start
a Browser in DispVM for urls in Mails.
This works fine, but those "special" DispVMs have the same limitations.
I want just a normal DispVM like the one started via Dom0. The only way
to achieve this afaik is to let the special DispVM connect to NetVM, so
no ProxyVM is used. But this means that the DispVM has access to the
intranet.....

David Hobach

Oct 13, 2016, 12:30:09 PM10/13/16
to Robert Mittendorf, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 10/13/2016 12:45 PM, Robert Mittendorf wrote:
> Am 10/13/2016 um 04:50 AM schrieb raah...@gmail.com:
>>
>> feature. I use to make menu shortcuts to launch programs in dispvms
>> inheriting firewall rules. But xfce only lets you edit already
>> existing rules, not create new ones :( editing a config file is a
>> little too much effort for me lol.
>>
> You can edit the rules in Xfce-Dom0 via the Qubes VM Manager?!
>
> How can this "feature" be disabled? I want to start a normal DispVM, not
> a "special" DispVM.....

Of course it's a feature. You want to open those pesky attachments of
your mail VM in a dispVM, don't you? But do you want to grant that VM
internet access? At least I wouldn't want that and thus would expect
that those firewall rules are inherited.

> Use Case: Mail VM is only allowed to access Mail-Server. I want to start
> a Browser in DispVM for urls in Mails.
> This works fine, but those "special" DispVMs have the same limitations.
> I want just a normal DispVM like the one started via Dom0. The only way
> to achieve this afaik is to let the special DispVM connect to NetVM, so
> no ProxyVM is used. But this means that the DispVM has access to the
> intranet.....

Currently your easiest option is not to click on the links, but to
copy-paste them to an open dispVM. Small sacrifice for a major security
gain.

Andrew David Wong

Oct 13, 2016, 2:36:30 PM10/13/16
to Robert Mittendorf, qubes...@googlegroups.com

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2016, 6:16:16 PM10/14/16
to qubes-users, mitte...@digitrace.de

couldn't you just use a normal dispvm then? meaning why even launch anything from within an appvm? Just run it from dom0, like the default firefox dispvm menu item.

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2016, 6:18:23 PM10/14/16
to qubes-users, mitte...@digitrace.de, raah...@gmail.com

only reason i'd launch a program in a dispvm from within an appvm, is to inherit its firewall rules.

Andrew David Wong

Oct 14, 2016, 11:06:48 PM10/14/16
to raah...@gmail.com, qubes-users, mitte...@digitrace.de

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2016, 7:23:12 AM10/15/16
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com, mitte...@digitrace.de

oh yes absolutely, especially for email links for sure thats awesome. But I thought the OP was asking how *not to inherit firewall rules in general. So i was just suggesting why even bother opening it in specific appvms anyways then.

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2016, 7:28:00 AM10/15/16
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com, mitte...@digitrace.de

xfce is a little frustrating cause you need a 3rd party tool to easily create menu entries like in kde to launch diff programs with while inheriting firewall rules. but i'm leary to install one to dom0 so I just gave up and type it out. rather do that then edit the cfg file lol.

Robert Mittendorf

Oct 17, 2016, 3:42:34 AM10/17/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

> Currently your easiest option is not to click on the links, but to
> copy-paste them to an open dispVM. Small sacrifice for a major
> security gain.

Well, the "easiest" option is to use a net-vm directly. What is the
security gain? Its a dispVM after all.

David Hobach

Oct 17, 2016, 11:04:40 AM10/17/16
to Robert Mittendorf, qubes...@googlegroups.com
The data copied to that VM (i.e. the pdf file or whatever you opened)
must be considered leaked if the VM gets compromised via e.g. drive-by
exploits.
Agreed, it's limited to that data, but nevertheless an unexpected
potential impact. And depending on your data it can be critical.

From a usability point of view you'll also get annoyed if you cannot
print in dispVMs just because your firewall rules allowing connectivity
to your printer aren't inherited, but those to allowing connectivity to
the internet suddenly are in place.

Moreover your netVM is also inherited and firewall rules can have a
different meaning depending on your netvm (just imagine the same private
subnets being used for 2 different networks), i.e. it makes sense to
inherit firewall rules, if you do it for netVMs.

Btw inheriting netVMs makes a lot of sense if you imagine one Tor proxy
VM and one directly connected one. So a dispVM from a Tor connected VM
would spawn a direct internet connection in your case... Currently it
fortunately does not.

Robert Mittendorf

Oct 17, 2016, 11:43:26 AM10/17/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

> The data copied to that VM (i.e. the pdf file or whatever you opened)
> must be considered leaked if the VM gets compromised via e.g. drive-by
> exploits.
> Agreed, it's limited to that data, but nevertheless an unexpected
> potential impact. And depending on your data it can be critical.
Well, that is why it is a distinct DispVM. If I open a legit PDF from my
mail client in a DispVM (say dispvm1) and I open a non-legit URL in a
DispVM, this will not be the same dispVM and thereby not leak the PDFs
data. If the PDF itself is malicious, I most likely will not care about
the leak. Only exception: A legit PDF gets infected and is then mailed
to me. Usually that would allow the attacker to leak the PDF from the
system it was send from in the first place.
> From a usability point of view you'll also get annoyed if you cannot
> print in dispVMs just because your firewall rules allowing
> connectivity to your printer aren't inherited, but those to allowing
> connectivity to the internet suddenly are in place.
agreed, basically.

> Btw inheriting netVMs makes a lot of sense if you imagine one Tor
> proxy VM and one directly connected one. So a dispVM from a Tor
> connected VM would spawn a direct internet connection in your case...
> Currently it fortunately does not.
agreed.

Well, I was actually suprised that there is more than 1 DispVM. Do the
child-DispVMs use the fedora-23-dvm template as well?

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2016, 11:12:11 PM10/19/16
to qubes-users, mitte...@digitrace.de

oh yes thats a good point. thats another reason I liked to create dispvm menu entries in the applications list, to also inherit that vm's window border color that they are launched from. To remind me what level trust it is.

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2016, 11:12:31 PM10/19/16
to qubes-users, mitte...@digitrace.de, raah...@gmail.com

or just to remind me what I opened it for lol.