Kernel Panic at Boot (Account Services) & Changing the Grub Boot Menu Order

noir.virgil

Sep 12, 2019, 7:41:21 PM9/12/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I kindly was referred to this user group, from github for help with a kernel issue (ISSUE#5272).

Computer boots Linux 4.14.74-1 normally. No issues.
Linux 4.19.67-1 or 5.2.11-1 kernel upgrades cause the CPU to freeze and forces a reboot once the Boot reaches "Account Services" just before the xfce login page appears.

If it does manage to boot, the CPU freezes completely at the shutdown command. I have tried:

-Updating with all Repo enabled
-Adjusting memory and VM options at boot
-Updating to kernel-latest for newer hardware
-Reinstalling Qubes 4.0.1

I believe at this point, it's just hardware and I can't do anything. I'm not sure how to pull logs for this issue.

I was hoping someone knew if the GRUB Boot Menu (Legacy BIOS) order could be changed.
How may I boot Xen 4.8.5-7.fc25 and Linux 4.14.74-1.pvops.qubesx86_64 automatically instead of having to select it in advanced options every time?

Thanks for taking time to read.

awokd

Sep 13, 2019, 3:13:52 PM9/13/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
'noir.virgil' via qubes-users:

> I was hoping someone knew if the GRUB Boot Menu (Legacy BIOS) order could be changed.
> How may I boot Xen 4.8.5-7.fc25 and Linux 4.14.74-1.pvops.qubesx86_64 automatically instead of having to select it in advanced options every time?

I thought there were steps detailing this somewhere, but can't locate.
Anyways:
go to dom0 terminal
awk -F\' '/menuentry / { print i++, $2}' /boot/grub/grub.cfg
sudo grub2-set-default ### [whichever number you want, or the full text
string here in quotes]

Once you get a working kernel or boot options, you can return default to
default with:
sudo grub2-set-default 0

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

awokd

Sep 14, 2019, 7:31:15 AM9/14/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
awokd:
> 'noir.virgil' via qubes-users:
>
>> I was hoping someone knew if the GRUB Boot Menu (Legacy BIOS) order could be changed.
>> How may I boot Xen 4.8.5-7.fc25 and Linux 4.14.74-1.pvops.qubesx86_64 automatically instead of having to select it in advanced options every time?
>
> [sudo grub2-set-default steps]

Thought I had this working yesterday, but when I went to document it, it
refused to cooperate. If the previous steps didn't work for you, try the
grub section here instead:

https://github.com/awokd/qubes-doc/blob/patch-5/user/common-tasks/software-update-dom0.md#changing-default-kernel