Enable usb-qube and now my keyboard and mouse are not responding

car...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2017, 2:10:14 PM12/3/17
to qubes-users
Hi,

I enabled the usb-qube in 4.0rc2 and now my keyboard and mouse are not responding. Now I have to start over to fix it.

Does anyone know what may have caused this?

awokd

Dec 4, 2017, 8:34:10 AM12/4/17
to car...@gmail.com, qubes-users
See the first paragraph in https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/ and the link
there.

If you want to try again once you get keyboard and mouse back, you can
manually create a sys-usb qube by carefully following the documentation on
that page under "Alternatively, you can create a USB qube manually as
follows:". It's for 3.2 but at first glance should work for 4.0 too.
Figure out which USB controller handles your keyboard and mouse and DO NOT
assign that one to sys-usb, but assign all the rest.

Blacklisting the controllers is an optional next step.

Unman

Dec 4, 2017, 5:40:10 PM12/4/17
to car...@gmail.com, qubes-users
If you search this list you will find some proposed solutions - you
need to stop the kernel from hiding the usb controllers from dom0 and
then stop sys-usb from booting because that will then capture the
devices.

There was a thread on this a couple of months back - "How to recover
Qubes when keyboard / mice is dysfunctional due to USB qubes setup
issues?"
Look at my proposal and see if you can fit it to your case.