Is it plausible to use Debian template with sys-XXX VM?

trueriver

Dec 29, 2019, 1:54:18 PM12/29/19
to qubes-users
I tried simply changing the template in qube settings, and some things worked and others didn't. Notably sys-usb stops recognising any USB device, and sys-net doesn't recognise WiFi.

Is this a stupid idea, or are there straightforward ways to make it work?

Ideally I'd like to stop using fedora template altogether, to get one less thing to be backed up. However it's not important enough to put a lot of work into making that happen.

awokd

Dec 29, 2019, 3:47:36 PM12/29/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
trueriver:
> I tried simply changing the template in qube settings, and some things worked and others didn't. Notably sys-usb stops recognising any USB device, and sys-net doesn't recognise WiFi.
>
> Is this a stupid idea, or are there straightforward ways to make it work?
>
> Ideally I'd like to stop using fedora template altogether, to get one less thing to be backed up. However it's not important enough to put a lot of work into making that happen.

Normally that's all you should have to do. Wifi cards sometimes need
their driver package installed in the corresponding template. Not sure
about your USB controller; haven't heard of needing drivers for those.

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

xao

Dec 29, 2019, 10:49:12 PM12/29/19
to river1...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Check this article - https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/minimal/ (scroll down untill you see "Debian" header)

It explains what you need to install so that debian template will work as expected.

trueriver

Dec 31, 2019, 8:11:02 AM12/31/19
to qubes-users

On Monday, 30 December 2019 03:49:12 UTC, xao wrote:
Check this article - https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/minimal/ (scroll down untill you see "Debian" header)

It explains what you need to install so that debian template will work as expected.

Yes, and the advice works :)

I will tweak the docs to make it clear that the Debian full templates need these extra installs to work as templates for sys-XXX

Chris Laprise

Jan 2, 2020, 12:55:59 PM1/2/20
to trueriver, qubes-users
FWIW, I've been using Debian templates as sys-xxx for years. The
important thing to install is the wifi driver for use as sys-net.
However, changes from this issue should eventually make that step
unnecessary for most people:

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket
https://twitter.com/ttaskett
PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB 4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886