A really nice guide on installing Coreboot on a X220 with a Raspberry Pi

David Schissler

Nov 13, 2016, 10:34:47 PM11/13/16
to qubes-users

kugg...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2017, 7:18:05 PM1/6/17
to qubes-users
On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 4:34:47 AM UTC+1, David Schissler wrote:
> https://tylercipriani.com/blog/2016/11/13/coreboot-on-the-thinkpad-x220-with-a-raspberry-pi/

Hi David and list, I followed this guide but could not boot Qubes after installing Coreboot 4.5.

Expected behavior:

Booting from disk after bios stage.
The following log from coreboot shows the same system successfully booting on a (non XEN) live distribution (Tails): https://paste.debian.net/hidden/fdc9fc95/

Note: To add debug prints I had to build another coreboot flash with spkrmodem hence the differing versions and dates. The behavior trying to boot Qubes from disk was the same on both versions of coreboot.
Actual behavior:

Coreboot SeaBIOS cursor blinks OS does not start.

Output is:
Press ESC for boot menu.
(pressing ESC)
Select boot device:

AHCI/0: INTEL SSDSA2BW160G3L ATA-8 Hard-Disk (149 GiBytes)
USB MSC Drive Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 PMAP
iPXE (PCI 00:19.0)
(pressing 1)

Booting from Hard Disk...
Cursor keeps blinking, nothing boots.
The following log from coreboot shows a boot failure trying to boot the successfully installed Qubes OS R3.2 from disk: https://paste.debian.net/906598/
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

Install coreboot 4.5 with SeaBIOS payload on Lenovo Thinkpad x220
1.2 Turn on debuging using either spkrmodem (and record/wait for about 5 hours for bios to boot) or use a EHCI debugger (https://www.coreboot.org/EHCI_Debug_Port). Configure either: CONFIG_HAVE_USBDEBUG=y || CONFIG_SPKMODEM=y
Install Qubes 3.2 on disk.
Boot from disk in SeaBIOS.

General notes:

I have followed the discussion in: #1594
I have tried to put iommu=0 in xen.conf with no success.
I have also unsuccessfully tried to add the options suggested in: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/

Any experiences or suggestions are welcome!

Best regards Kugg

hirschaue...@googlemail.com

Jan 6, 2017, 8:13:36 PM1/6/17
to qubes-users
> Booting from Hard Disk...
> Cursor keeps blinking, nothing boots.
> The following log from coreboot shows a boot failure trying to boot the successfully installed Qubes OS R3.2 from disk: https://paste.debian.net/906598/

I have the same issue on my X230 with Coreboot, that Grub doesn't start. But i've fixed it with the USB key troubleshooting. Chroot to your installation and run grub2-install on the Disk. After that i was able to boot into grub and Qubes.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jan 6, 2017, 8:30:59 PM1/6/17
to kugg...@gmail.com, qubes-users