Kernel Panic on sys-net

cmagi...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2016, 6:15:18 PM11/6/16
to qubes-users
Hey all,

Hope I'm posting this correctly.
I seem to be getting an error when my sys-net comes up, which makes it more difficult to update qubes, (assuming that would fix it).

I attempted to troubleshooting the issue by searching this group and found:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-users/sys-net$20kernel$20panic|sort:relevance/qubes-users/YrB6xJH1DJM/L2v7hvSyDQAJ

However, I wasn't able to determine a solution from it.

It appears I'm unable to upload a file here.
Used pastebin for my log.

http://pastebin.com/0n7Ad6tp

Thanks for your time.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Chris Laprise

Nov 7, 2016, 1:17:14 PM11/7/16
to cmagi...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Hi,

Could you provide background on your system...

Does your system have Vt-d capability? Check this with 'xl info' in dmesg.

Is your NIC assigned to sys-net? Check this in VM Settings / Devices.

What are the brand/model of NIC(s)?

Can you try to manually start sys-net from Qubes Manager or the CLI?

Chris

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 7, 2016, 4:40:57 PM11/7/16
to cmagi...@gmail.com, qubes-users

cmagi...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2016, 7:41:09 PM11/7/16
to qubes-users, cmagi...@gmail.com
Thank you both for your assistance!
I'm lucky to receive help from Marek. I've been a Qubes user for awhile and seen many of your posts when I have issues.

>Does your system have Vt-d capability? Check this with 'xl info' in dmesg.

Yes. Intel I-7 3770k & it's enabled.

>Is your NIC assigned to sys-net? Check this in VM Settings / Devices.

Yes.

>What are the brand/model of NIC(s)?

Currently I have 3 NICs connected to it.
1 Qualcomm, 1 Realtek, and 1 Intel (mb)

>Can you try to manually start sys-net from Qubes Manager or the CLI?

I'm unable to start it from both the CLI and Manager.

>This suggests some problems with storage. Do you have similar messages
in dom0? Maybe your hard drive is failing?

I feel this is the most realistic cause. My SSD is pretty worn and old.
I took a peek in /var/log to find a log that matches or is similar to one I provided.
$ grep error boot.log
nothing.

$ dmesg | grep error
Could not initialized VPMU for cpu 0, error -95

Might there be another file that could provide some insight?

One script I did create to assist with moving my VMs away from the main SSD to external HDD is this.

https://github.com/CMagistrado/Nexus/blob/master/Qubexus/fragment
sudo mv /var/lib/qubes/appvms/$1 /mnt/VMs
ln -s /mnt/VMs/$1 /var/lib/qubes/appvms/

Might this have anything to do with the sys-net VM? I didn't move sys-net to external though. =/