QubesOS template flavors

Frédéric Pierret (fepitre)

May 27, 2018, 9:07:55 AM5/27/18
to qubes-users
Hi all,

As many of you have probably already seen, there are now a few more of template flavors available in QubesOS like Fedora and CentOS with XFCE desktop, and probably more in the future with LXDE, LXQT, KDE, etc. (like the spins in Fedora).

Currently on the repositories, you can download normal and minimal flavors. We were wondering if there is a need for providing also other flavors like fullyloaded and XFCE instead of building them by yourself.

Best,
Frédéric

Andrew David Wong

May 27, 2018, 2:00:58 PM5/27/18
to Frédéric Pierret (fepitre), qubes-users

schwoe...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2018, 7:54:48 AM6/1/18
to qubes-users
Hello Frédéric,
Are you meaning that CentOS is available as TemplateVM ?

Frédéric Pierret (fepitre)

Jun 1, 2018, 9:35:25 AM6/1/18
to qubes-users
Hello,

Yes you can currently download the CentOS template for r3.2 and r4.0 :)

[799]

Jun 1, 2018, 2:33:59 PM6/1/18
to qubes-users
Hello Frederic

On 06/01 06:35, Frédéric Pierret (fepitre) wrote:
> Yes you can currently download the CentOS template for r3.2 and r4.0 :)

How can I get a list of all available templates via dom0 terminal?
just using 'dnf search template' will only give me the already installed packages.

[799]

Frédéric Pierret (fepitre)

Jun 2, 2018, 2:50:54 AM6/2/18
to qubes-users
Le dimanche 27 mai 2018 15:07:55 UTC+2, Frédéric Pierret (fepitre) a écrit :
Hi,
I made a little mistake...the CentOS template is still not on the repository but should be very soon! :)

Sergio Matta

Jun 2, 2018, 1:02:44 PM6/2/18
to qubes-users
Em domingo, 27 de maio de 2018 10:07:55 UTC-3, Frédéric Pierret (fepitre) escreveu:
> Hi all,
>
> As many of you have probably already seen, there are now a few more of template flavors available in QubesOS like Fedora and CentOS with XFCE desktop, and probably more in the future with LXDE, LXQT, KDE, etc. (like the spins in Fedora).

There is a very good initial contribution from Lucy von Känel, with Void Linux:
https://forum.voidlinux.eu/t/void-linux-on-qubesos-4-packaged/5714
I tried the easy restore way, just to browse. Not the right way, but all my data is safe outside any vms.
Void has all these desktops and others, but none installed in the vm ready. IMHO Desktops does not matter in vms, It does in dom0.
Void is fast!!!

Frédéric Pierret (fepitre)

Jun 2, 2018, 7:43:08 PM6/2/18
to qubes-users
It does not matter if you don't care about what you have inside your template and what apps you are using. For me, I don't want to have any Gnome or KDE related things or other desktops applications except the ones provided by XFCE. At the end, it is a matter of choices.

> Void is fast!!!

Sergio Matta

Jun 2, 2018, 8:23:53 PM6/2/18
to qubes-users
Dear Frédéric,
I was not questioning. I do care about my applications (evolution, firefox, rednotebook, vlc, terminal, vi, jhead, and others) but if I only see the window application, not the desktop, desktop managers do not looks important for vms. Since you have another understanding, please share.
Thank you for your work with centos. I will use it too, as a vm server, when it will be avaiable.
Best regards.

Frédéric Pierret (fepitre)

Jun 3, 2018, 4:48:13 AM6/3/18
to qubes-users
Le dimanche 3 juin 2018 02:23:53 UTC+2, Sergio Matta a écrit :
> Dear Frédéric,
> I was not questioning. I do care about my applications (evolution, firefox, rednotebook, vlc, terminal, vi, jhead, and others) but if I only see the window application, not the desktop, desktop managers do not looks important for vms. Since you have another understanding, please share.

No problem. I was meaning that above the choice of applications, for GTK, QT etc, each desktop has its own graphical and functional rendering and then, if we want to have coherent 'desktop' environments, we need to define it, at least, as it is defined in a classical desktop user session (e.g. with proper shell env etc.)

> Thank you for your work with centos. I will use it too, as a vm server, when it will be avaiable.

Your welcome :)

> Best regards.

Антон Чехов

Jul 1, 2018, 3:31:18 PM7/1/18
to qubes-users
Any news?

Drew White

Jul 2, 2018, 3:37:22 AM7/2/18
to qubes-users
qubes-dom0-update --action=list --enablerepo=*template* qubes-template*

Drew White

Jul 2, 2018, 3:38:06 AM7/2/18
to qubes-users
On Sunday, 27 May 2018 23:07:55 UTC+10, Frédéric Pierret (fepitre) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As many of you have probably already seen, there are now a few more of template flavors available in QubesOS like Fedora and CentOS with XFCE desktop, and probably more in the future with LXDE, LXQT, KDE, etc. (like the spins in Fedora).
Can you get one that uses MATE?

> Currently on the repositories, you can download normal and minimal flavors. We were wondering if there is a need for providing also other flavors like fullyloaded and XFCE instead of building them by yourself.

Minimal with XFce instead of Gnome?