How much inital and max memory for sys and template VMs?

jaki...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2017, 8:18:38 AM6/28/17
to qubes-users
looking at my memory on sys-firewall it has initial 500mb but max 3gb and its using 3gb which is eating up alot of space for other things. Whats the best setting for this?

jaki...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2017, 8:22:33 AM6/28/17
to qubes-users
Additionally my personal Debian VM is using its Max 3gb also also and only running Firefox

Zrubi

Jun 28, 2017, 8:36:58 AM6/28/17
to jaki...@gmail.com, qubes-users

Chris Laprise

Jun 28, 2017, 10:46:14 AM6/28/17
On 06/28/2017 08:18 AM, jaki...@gmail.com wrote:
> looking at my memory on sys-firewall it has initial 500mb but max 3gb and its using 3gb which is eating up alot of space for other things. Whats the best setting for this?

I find a fixed size (no memory-balancing) of 250MB works well for
sys-net, sys-firewall and VPN.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@openmailbox.org
https://twitter.com/ttaskett

cooloutac

Jun 28, 2017, 10:06:02 PM6/28/17
to qubes-users, jaki...@gmail.com
On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 8:22:33 AM UTC-4, jaki...@gmail.com wrote:
> Additionally my personal Debian VM is using its Max 3gb also also and only running Firefox

Firefox will easily eat 3mb ram with alot of heavy tabs open.

Vít Šesták

Jun 29, 2017, 1:50:19 AM6/29/17
to qubes-users
I guess it consumes 3 GiB of RAM if and only if you have much of unneeded RAM. When you need the RAM for other VMs, it should be freed by the VMs.

But maybe a fixed amount of RAM is better suited for VMs that are expected to be using rather a constant amount of RAM, for two reasons. First, Qubes tries adding some margin for caches etc. Second, memory balancing must have some overhead.

Moreover, sys-net and sys-usb do have a constant amount of RAM assigned, as they have some PCI device assigned.

When tight on memory, I was able to go as low as 200 MiB for sys-net. The same would probably apply to sys-firewall and sys-usb. If you are not so tight, I'd recommend slightly more, like 250MiB or 300MiB.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Noor Christensen

Jun 29, 2017, 2:24:40 AM6/29/17
to qubes-users
On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 05:22:33AM -0700, jaki...@gmail.com wrote:
> Additionally my personal Debian VM is using its Max 3gb also also and only running Firefox

Does this mean that your VMs are working now? You mentioned just earlier
how you couldn't get any VM to start, just wanted to check back on your
progress. :-)

-- noor

|_|O|_|
|_|_|O| Noor Christensen