How to install clean template?

Albin Otterhäll

Jun 8, 2016, 2:15:57 PM6/8/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
How should I go about to install a clean template? When setting up a
template for a specific domain, e.g. software development, it could be
useful to have a clean slate.

Andrew David Wong

Jun 8, 2016, 8:19:25 PM6/8/16
to Albin Otterhäll, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Albin Otterhäll

Jun 9, 2016, 3:09:57 AM6/9/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Andrew David Wong:
> You can simply clone one of the default templates. If you've already
> modified the default template you want to use, you can clone it, then
> reinstall it from the repo.

So it isn't possible to install and name the template in the same
command? Little easier and simpler to just do that instead of renaming
templates before and after downloading a new template.

Is it considered god practice to only use copies of the default templates?

Andrew David Wong

Jun 9, 2016, 6:10:11 AM6/9/16
to Albin Otterhäll, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Achim Patzner

Jun 9, 2016, 12:44:52 PM6/9/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Am 09.06.2016 um 12:09 schrieb Andrew David Wong:
> On 2016-06-09 00:09, Albin Otterhäll wrote:
> > Is it considered god practice to only use copies of the default
> > templates?
>
> Yes.

There is some grey area around that. Some tools just have to be there
for you to feel well. In my case it's things like "no unix without joe".
On the other hand side there is a lot of stuff I would never haven in
/usr of a "minimally comfortable" baseline installation.

Essence: If you know what you're doing there is nothing wrong with
creating your own templates and use them all over the system. And remove
the templates that came with the installation.

Achim

J. Eppler

Jun 9, 2016, 3:19:26 PM6/9/16
to qubes-users, gm...@otterhall.com
Hello,

yes, I normally clone one of the default VM's in the Qubes Manager. Which opens a popup dialog to name your cloned template.

For example: fedora-23 -> clone to fedora-23-dev

Afterwards I tweak the templates for my development needs.

For example: Install my IDE, git etc.

At the last step I create new App VM's which are based on my development qube. I name them mostly after the project or programming language.

For example:
java-dev
work-projectname-dev

Sometimes it is better to create a standalone VM for development.

Best regards
  J. Eppler

Andrew David Wong

Jun 9, 2016, 3:40:00 PM6/9/16
to Achim Patzner, qubes...@googlegroups.com

J. Eppler

Jun 9, 2016, 3:50:43 PM6/9/16
to qubes-users, no...@noses.com
Hello Andrew,

maybe I did not understand his question right.

Best regards
  J. Eppler

james....@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2016, 6:03:33 PM6/22/16
to qubes-users, gm...@otterhall.com
Andrew,

I have a different problem. I've cloned fedora-23 and I need to install a bunch of software from my employer over their VPN using a script that does
"dnf install http://site.on.vpn/employer.rpm"

I've managed to get the VPN up and running in the template, but the dnf installs are timing out. wgets also time out. Any ideas?

I have no problem installing software in a VM based on the template, but I need the software installed in the template the VM is based on so I don't have to reinstall it every reboot.

Thanks in advance,

James

Ben Wika

Jun 22, 2016, 8:15:55 PM6/22/16
to qubes-users, gm...@otterhall.com
I think you just have to tell the vm firewall settings to allow access for 10 minutes or whatever

Ward... James Ward

Jun 22, 2016, 8:45:17 PM6/22/16
to Ben Wika, qubes-users, gm...@otterhall.com
I have even bypassed the firewall. I've got the VPN ProxyVM pointing directly at NetVM.

Chris Laprise

Jun 22, 2016, 9:17:59 PM6/22/16
to Ward... James Ward, Ben Wika, qubes-users, gm...@otterhall.com

On 06/22/2016 08:45 PM, Ward... James Ward wrote:
> I have even bypassed the firewall. I've got the VPN ProxyVM pointing
> directly at NetVM.

That doesn't bypass the firewall exactly. The vpn vm is also a firewall,
and it accepts the firewall settings of other vms that are pointing to
it. So you would have to 'allow full access' from the template's
firewall settings.

Chris

Andrew David Wong

Jun 23, 2016, 3:03:30 AM6/23/16
to Chris Laprise, Ward... James Ward, Ben Wika, qubes-users, gm...@otterhall.com

Andrew David Wong

Jun 23, 2016, 3:16:16 AM6/23/16
to Ben Wika, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 2016-06-23 00:08, Ben Wika wrote:
> I do like the idea of being able to instantly rename (or clone) a
> freshly downloaded vm so as to encourage the supposedly good
> practice of never modifying or working with the raw template. In
> fact I'd rather the raw templates themselves didn't even show up
> in the vm manager so you could always count on cloning them again
> without having to re-download. On 23 Jun 2016 5:03 PM, "Andrew
> David Wong" <a...@qubes-os.org> wrote:

That might not work as a default option, since some users may be short
on disk space or may (for one reason or another) want to modify the
RPM templates, but it wouldn't hurt to have the option to hide them.
(More generally, there could be an option to hide any arbitrary,
user-selected VMs.)

Added as a comment here:

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1870#issuecomment-
227969153

P.S. - Please keep the list CCed, and avoid top posting.

> Yes, Chris is right. Make sure your VPN ProxyVM is set as your
> TemplateVM's NetVM, then try using the "allow full access for N
> minutes" option.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Ward... James Ward

Jun 23, 2016, 6:40:28 AM6/23/16
to Andrew David Wong, Chris Laprise, Ben Wika, qubes-users, gm...@otterhall.com
Yeah, I tried that. Template still times out where a VM based on the template doesn't need any firewall modifications to install the firewall.

Andrew David Wong

Jun 23, 2016, 6:50:52 AM6/23/16
to Ward... James Ward, Chris Laprise, Ben Wika, qubes-users, gm...@otterhall.com

On 2016-06-23 03:40, Ward... James Ward wrote:
> Yeah, I tried that. Template still times out where a VM based on
> the template doesn't need any firewall modifications to install
> the firewall.

That's very strange. If you've set things up correctly, there
shouldn't be any restrictions on your network access from the
TemplateVM.

Are the "Allow ICMP traffic" and "Allow DNS queries" boxes checked?

P.S. - Please don't top post.

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:03 AM Andrew David Wong
> <a...@qubes-os.org> wrote:

> Yes, Chris is right. Make sure your VPN ProxyVM is set as your
> TemplateVM's NetVM, then try using the "allow full access for N
> minutes" option.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS