Qubes for running virtual servers

darr...@redskiesgroup.com

Aug 23, 2016, 12:07:51 PM8/23/16
to qubes-users
How does Qubes perform as the host OS in a virtualised server environment?

I'm thinking of a configuration where the host OS is Qubes with VM's running for things like a virtualised email server, IDS server, perhaps a Tor relay etc. I've used Qubes as a desktop host, I'm just curious about whether it's a practical host for virtualised serviers?

Nicklaus McClendon

Aug 23, 2016, 12:12:55 PM8/23/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

johny...@sigaint.org

Aug 23, 2016, 12:13:13 PM8/23/16
to darr...@redskiesgroup.com, qubes-users
I would think it would perform wonderfully as a virtualized server. Most
commercial places that rent you virtual servers use Xen, and Qubes is
based upon Xen, so . . .

And the separation of server to prevent cross-contamination is a great
feature.

I used a Xen-based virtual server at Rackspace for years, and it performed
wonderfully.

Now, if you have a server that's going to be handling a high level of
traffic, you're going to want some correspondingly powerful hardware and
memory behind it.

But the success of running servers under Xen is a proven thing.

JJ

darr...@redskiesgroup.com

Aug 24, 2016, 4:37:23 AM8/24/16
to qubes-users, darr...@redskiesgroup.com, johny...@sigaint.org

Thanks, that's what I had hoped. Traffic levels will be low since this is a small office environment and so just a few virtual servers handling small amounts of traffic.

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 12, 2016, 1:35:07 PM10/12/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

This should help: https://github.com/Rudd-O/qubes-network-server

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

darr...@redskiesgroup.com

Oct 13, 2016, 7:40:09 AM10/13/16
to qubes-users, rud...@rudd-o.com

Thanks, that looks like it could be just what I'm looking for.