Qubes 4.0.1 Dell Inspiron 7380

mrf...@t-online.de

Jan 16, 2019, 1:00:22 AM1/16/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

first in advance: -> THANK YOU for taking time & excuse my bad English!

I really wanted to get this issue fixed by my own trough searching qubes website, forums, newsgroups and so on...
Unfortunately "the graphical installation interface /*still*/ fails to start" :(

Current uefi settings:
- latest firmware
- any legacy on
- disabled stuff like camera, bluetooth, and so on (for testing some various more like audio)

My last tries were on 4.0.1 rc2 (with Troubleshooting) and some previous Qubes versions with different custom kernel parameters.
I also tried an usb2ethernet adapter for vnc install option without success.
The next boarder: try using inst.text option and prepare an empty disc with cryptsetup because:
   "encryption requested for LUKS device nvme0n1p2 but no encryption key specified for this drive." (lsblk & fdisk lists nvme0n1 only)
    -> do I have to create that device & encryption key how ever?
    -> does inst.text option needs a kickstart because there is no prompt available for passphrase input during setup?
    -> will Qubes show an other behavior after the installation regarding graphic issues?

After spend a few hours on it I would be very very happy for any hints and support!!!!!!!
If I had to guess I would say it depends on event in file X.log row contains 34.992 + 35.068 V_BIOS address * out of range
But I have no clue to come along or deal with it...
Therefore I collect log files which hopefully will help to clarify and eliminate that nightmare.

I kindly ask you please help me get this solved and run Qubes - appreciate it ;)

Kind Regards,
Fabian
0_dmesg.log
0_lspci-vvv.log
anaconda.log
storage.log
syslog
X.log

mrf...@t-online.de

Jan 27, 2019, 3:14:06 PM1/27/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

does any one have a clue or a hint for me please?

Further I would like to know do you think this fits for issue tracker?

1:07:55,633 WARNING kernel:[    0.000000] ACPI BIOS Warning (bug): Incorrect checksum in table [FACP] - 0x8B, should be 0xBF (20170728/tbprint-211)
21:07:55,636 INFO kernel:[    0.546000] PCI: Using host bridge windows from ACPI; if necessary, use "pci=nocrs" and report a bug

Thank you in advance for effort!! & looking forward to hopefully hearing from you :)

Kind Regards,
Fabian

awokd

Feb 1, 2019, 7:44:11 PM2/1/19
to mrf...@t-online.de, qubes...@googlegroups.com
mrf...@t-online.de wrote on 1/27/19 8:13 PM:
From your X log, I think this is the problem:

(EE) VESA(0): V_BIOS address 0x4f9f0 out of range

Can you switch to a different video card?

mrf...@t-online.de

Feb 2, 2019, 12:03:49 PM2/2/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, awokd
Dear awokd,

very happy to read your answer - THX!!

Unfortunately there is no option to switch to a different video card
(dedicated / second gpu ist not available...)

What else can I do? I really would like to go on with inst.text option
for anaconda but I do not come along with cryptsetup (empty ssd).  I am
able to choose region settings, time zone and everything else expect
that last one configuration for ssd by the error:
    "encryption requested for LUKS device nvme0n1p2 but no encryption
key specified for this drive."
            (lsblk & fdisk lists nvme0n1 only)
     -> do I have to create that device & encryption key how ever?
     -> does inst.text option needs a kickstart because there is no
prompt available for passphrase input during setup?
     -> will Qubes show an other behavior after the installation
regarding graphic issues?

Do you think my case matches for qubes issue tracker??

Looking forward to reading from you :) & Thank you, again!

Regards, Fabian

awokd

Feb 2, 2019, 12:45:48 PM2/2/19
mrf...@t-online.de wrote on 2/2/19 5:03 PM:
> Dear awokd,
>
> very happy to read your answer - THX!!
>
> Unfortunately there is no option to switch to a different video card
> (dedicated / second gpu ist not available...)
>
> What else can I do? I really would like to go on with inst.text option
> for anaconda but I do not come along with cryptsetup (empty ssd).  I am
> able to choose region settings, time zone and everything else expect
> that last one configuration for ssd by the error:
>     "encryption requested for LUKS device nvme0n1p2 but no encryption
> key specified for this drive."
>             (lsblk & fdisk lists nvme0n1 only)
>      -> do I have to create that device & encryption key how ever?
>      -> does inst.text option needs a kickstart because there is no
> prompt available for passphrase input during setup?
>      -> will Qubes show an other behavior after the installation
> regarding graphic issues?
>
> Do you think my case matches for qubes issue tracker??
>
> Looking forward to reading from you :) & Thank you, again!

No problem, hopefully we can get this working!

See this thread:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/3YLq1g5JI3c. Can you
change the amount of graphics memory in your UEFI config like they mention?

It looks like a kickstart file might work, but if you have access to
another computer a remote install session might be easiest. See
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/-9qRHSkwfy8/pp5KvXjzBwAJ for
example. It's hard to say whether Qubes will work or fail to boot with
that same error after the installation completes, though.

There is already an issue open on it:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1161.

mrf...@t-online.de

Feb 3, 2019, 12:15:13 PM2/3/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, awokd

Hello again,

thank you - appreciate it - and I have good news :) but first get back to your questions:

See this thread: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/3YLq1g5JI3c. Can you change the amount of graphics memory in your UEFI config like they mention?

-> I could not change the amount (only possible for intel sgx (...))

It looks like a kickstart file might work, but if you have access to another computer a remote install session might be easiest. See https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/-9qRHSkwfy8/pp5KvXjzBwAJ for example. It's hard to say whether Qubes will work or fail to boot with that same error after the installation completes, though.

-> already tried an usb2ethernet adapter for vnc install option without success (no internal nic)

There is already an issue open on it: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1161.

-> this issue deviates a bit from my case

Here comes my solution to fix this issue in wrap-up mode cause tldr & long long way short:

My last tries were on legacy settings for uefi / bios. I reconfigured all the settings back to use modern uefi except "Secure Boot Mode". If I choose the "deployed mode" it will not work but in "audit mode" it does!!!!!!! Further I had to edit bootx64.cfg in iso image like this way:
   https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/
        1. Change xen configuration directly in an iso image
        2. Installation freezes before getting to Anaconda (Qubes 4.0)     - >    Steps 2.-6. did not need

# noexitboot=1
# mapbs=1

After comment this out I was able to enter Anaconda installer in graphical mode with lags (delayed cursor movement). Installation has finished without any errors. Fix for the lags is the latest kernel (4.19.15-1) through test repository (with old kernel there was a "reverting to software rendering" event in Xorg.0.log).

The only thing that has not worked so far is suspend and hibernate.

Cheers,
Fabian

awokd

Feb 3, 2019, 3:03:15 PM2/3/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
mrf...@t-online.de wrote on 2/3/19 5:15 PM:

> Here comes my solution to fix this issue in wrap-up mode cause tldr &
> long long way short:
>
> My last tries were on legacy settings for uefi / bios. I reconfigured
> all the settings back to use modern uefi except "Secure Boot Mode". If I
> choose the "deployed mode" it will not work but in "audit mode" it
> does!!!!!!! Further I had to edit bootx64.cfg in iso image like this way:
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/
>         1. Change xen configuration directly in an iso image
>         2. Installation freezes before getting to Anaconda (Qubes 4.0)
>     - >    Steps 2.-6. did not need
>
> |# noexitboot=1 # mapbs=1|
>
> After comment this out I was able to enter Anaconda installer in
> graphical mode with lags (delayed cursor movement). Installation has
> finished without any errors. Fix for the lags is the latest kernel
> (4.19.15-1) through test repository (with old kernel there was a
> "reverting to software rendering" event in Xorg.0.log).
>
> The only thing that has not worked so far is suspend and hibernate.

Glad you are finally up and running! Thanks for posting your fix.