How to send wake on lan from qubes?

gal...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2016, 8:28:51 AM10/13/16
to qubes-users
I'm trying to remotely wake a computer from qubes with these commands:

sudo ether-wake -b MAC
sudo ether-wake MAC

Neither version works and I get no error messages.

The remote computer wakes remotely from other (non qubes) computers.

I've tried from a template VM and a normal VM.

ether-wake is not available in the dom0 terminal.

Is there some setting I need to configure in qubes to make this work?

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 13, 2016, 9:19:26 AM10/13/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 10/13/2016 12:28 PM, gal...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm trying to remotely wake a computer from qubes with these commands:
>
> sudo ether-wake -b MAC
> sudo ether-wake MAC

These commands only work from a NetVM by default because they require
knowledge of the target machine's MAC address, and that is only
available in the NetVM.

You may want to try Qubes network server which lets your AppVM do ARP on
the LAN.

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2016, 6:19:29 PM10/14/16
to qubes-users, gal...@gmail.com

did you try from sys-net?

pleo...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2016, 11:12:22 PM10/14/16
to qubes-users, gal...@gmail.com
Rudd-O
might be you so nice and explain why it dosent work

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/E2NBXnYazUk

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 15, 2016, 9:31:04 PM10/15/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Please do not crosspost this problem to other threads. Keep it to the
other thread.

Please also comply with my information requests in the other thread, so
that I may be able to help you.

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

gal...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2016, 4:10:54 AM10/17/16
to qubes-users, gal...@gmail.com
Thank you all for your help. Wake on lan works from the sys-net VM and I am happy with this solution.