New install R3.2 - All VMs fail with libxenlight error

pr0xy

Nov 21, 2017, 5:21:49 AM11/21/17
to Qubes Users
I have a new workstation, 128GB RAM, Xeon with 10 cores, 1TB SSD, and
I'm trying to get R3.2 running on it. VT-x and VT-d are enabled in the
BIOS along with TPM. Had to set the machine to Legacy boot and turn off
UEFI to install Qubes though.

I've tried reinstalling Qubes a few times, but I get the same results.
When trying to open any AppVM, and even the Fedora and Debian Templates,
I get the error:

internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain

In one of my tests I was able to get the default anon-whonix VM to work,
but after a subsequent reinstall that is not working any longer.

I'd really like to get Qubes working on this machine, but I'm not sure
where to look.

pr0xy

Nov 22, 2017, 2:58:05 AM11/22/17
to Qubes Users
I see in these threads I see Marek suggesting:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/LU5WrTPfbZs
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-devel/jeAsPQjImlU/420g-sYzBAAJ

- if you get "internal error: libxenlight failed ...", look into
/var/log/libvirt/libxl/libxl-driver.log in dom0

However, the entire /var/log/libvirt/ folder is empty on my machine. Bu
those instructions may just be for R4, not my R3.2.

pr0xy

Nov 27, 2017, 12:01:36 AM11/27/17
to Qubes Users
On 2017-11-21 10:21, pr0xy wrote:
I tried setting up Qubes to do all updates thru Tor/Whonix. After
updating the base Qubes install, which took more than half a day, all
these errors went away.

Yuraeitha

Nov 27, 2017, 12:23:56 AM11/27/17
to qubes-users

You could try with Qubes 4 RC-3 instead of your Qubes 4 RC-2. It's supposed to come out today, the 27th November - looky here https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/releases/4.0/schedule/

But it's possibly to be postponed though, we'll have to see.

Also, you made sure there are no additional virtualization settings in your BIOS? Some motherboards, not all, appears to have an extra setting, i.e. some Asus boards have both VT-d and Virtualisation, which both comes disabled by default.

You may not have that extra setting, but it can't hurt to be sure, at least this gives you a place to start until someone maybe posts better suggestions.

Gaijin

Nov 27, 2017, 12:47:16 AM11/27/17
to Yuraeitha, qubes-users
I'm on R3.2, not RC4 yet. I may wait until R4 comes out (maybe RC-3) to
play with that.

I was able to get past my problem, and now R3.2 works.

Turns out the R3.2 ISO needs a ton of updates before it would work on my
machine. Once I added the dom0 updates it started magically working. ;)