Installing Ubuntu template VM in Qubes 3.2

KlausD...@mail2tor.com

Feb 18, 2018, 1:15:47 PM2/18/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

I want to create a Ubuntu Template VM in Qubes OS, but i don´t know how to
do this. Can someone help me or someone who aleady did this, can describe
how to do this?

best regards

awokd

Feb 18, 2018, 1:23:28 PM2/18/18
to KlausD...@mail2torx3jqgcpm.onion, qubes...@googlegroups.com
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/ubuntu/ . Also, check
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/building-archlinux-template/ for a bit more
detailed example, but I suggest waiting until
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3596 is resolved. Seems to
be impacting Ubuntu builds as well.

Unman

Feb 18, 2018, 2:10:32 PM2/18/18
to KlausD...@mail2torx3jqgcpm.onion, qubes...@googlegroups.com
That issue doesnt affect Ubuntu builds, BUT the recent update to 3.2.3
HAS broken the builds because of the changes in debian packaging there.
Im going to fix this.
If you want a Ubuntu template pro tem until the build is fixed, I've
put some here:
qubes.3isec.org

unman

awokd

Feb 18, 2018, 3:21:19 PM2/18/18
to Unman, klausd...@mail2torx3jqgcpm.onion, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, February 18, 2018 7:10 pm, Unman wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 06:22:46PM -0000, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:

>> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3596 is resolved. Seems
>> to be impacting Ubuntu builds as well.
>>

> That issue doesnt affect Ubuntu builds, BUT the recent update to 3.2.3
> HAS broken the builds because of the changes in debian packaging there.

The changes in Debian packaging also broke Debian builds. Is your point
one of semantics, or is it a different root cause? (Asking for my own
education, not to nitpick.)

> Im going to fix this.

Thank you!

Unman

Feb 18, 2018, 3:43:14 PM2/18/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, qubes...@googlegroups.com
It's a different root cause.
The stretch build completes all the modules but then breaks on the
template build.
The Ubuntu builds fail on the packaging within the modules.
Its almost always the case that major (sometimes minor) changes in
Debian builds will break the Ubuntu templates because they arent
incorporated in to the testing structure. So we are always playing catch
up in those circumstances.

Yuraeitha

Feb 18, 2018, 3:51:21 PM2/18/18
to qubes-users
What are the reasons you want Ubuntu? By any chance is it due to codecs and such licenses? You can quite easily get all of that working in Fedora or Debian.

I may have overlooked something, but one of the bigger reasons to want ubuntu, may be codecs and ability to play videos? I'll go ahead and take a guess that it might be partly codec related, though I may be guessing wrong.

For example an easy fix to make Fedora play almost any modern video --> clone your fedora template --> Add RPMFusion to your new fedora clone template. Install ffmpeg and vlc from RPMFusion repositories (Qubes has a really easy and quick guide to enable them). Voila, you can now watch HTML5 content videos in firefox on AppVM's based on your fedora template clone. Verify if it works with www.youtube.com/html5

For protected content, such as copyright protection, which can mess up an otherwise working HTML5 video, you'll probably need the google browser either way, directly from googles website. Unfortunately it can be messy to get protected content to play in browsers like Firefox. But that should apply to Ubuntu as well.