R4.0rc4 - VM type/class and /qubes-vm-type key

Ivan Mitev

Feb 12, 2018, 4:51:23 AM2/12/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Does anyone know what the /qubes-vm-type qubesdb key represents in R4 ?
The documentation [1] says it's the same as the 'type' field in
qvm-prefs, but there's no such field in R4. I thought it would be the
'klass' (sic) field but:

$ qvm-prefs sys-firewall klass
AppVM

$ qubesdb-read -d sys-firewall /qubes-vm-type
ProxyVM

$ qvm-prefs sys-firewall | grep -i proxy
[empty]

Similarly sys-net's class ('klass') is AppVM but /qubes-vm-type is NetVM.

Am I missing something, or does R4 derives the /qubes-vm-type key
dynamically from the way VM way VMs are "chained" together ? (if it's
the latter I'll submit a PR to update the documentation).

[1] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vm-interface/