Cant get it to install

gunnar...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2019, 2:56:25 AM1/23/19
to qubes-users
I'm trying to install from a USB that I setup with rufus, I verified the ISO too.

If I boot into the USB in uefi mode, I get some output at the top left of the screen then the screen goes blank.

I did a successful install on a completely blank ssd by booting the usb in legacy mode. everything went fine but I there was no boot option for it. Also, I ended up with no xen.efi file, xen.cfg was empty, and I couldnt use efibootmgr, "efi variables not supported" is the error I would get. The only extra parameters I used were "nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau video=vesa:off".

The laptop I am using is a Dell G7 15

What can I do here?

gunnar...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2019, 2:59:39 AM1/23/19
to qubes-users
Also, when trying to shut down from the shell (booted from usb), the computer gets stuck at "[ OK ] Reached target Shutdown" and then never shuts down.

bill...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2019, 10:25:44 AM1/23/19
to qubes-users
It is the only OS on the drive? I gotta tell you, I had nothing but headaches trying to do a dual boot installation, either with Windows 10 or Fedora 29. Since I have a hybrid disk machine, I ended up creating two MBRs, two /boot/efi's, etc, one on the SSD and on on the SATA drive. One of the problems I had was even though I *thought* was doing a clean install, I wasn't. For either then qubes or one of the other OSs, I can't remember which, it wasn't wiping/formatting the /boot/efi partition, but instead just modifying it. I ended up getting so frustrated, I just completely wiped both drives completely and removed *all* the partitions. Then it installed...

bill...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2019, 10:27:02 AM1/23/19
to qubes-users
The other thing I did wrong was to use the usb writer in a mode other than "dd." It doesn't sound like you made that mistake, since you got as far as you did, but that caused me a few hours of amusement also.

gunnar...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2019, 11:14:14 AM1/23/19
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 9:25:44 AM UTC-6, bill...@gmail.com wrote:
> It is the only OS on the drive? I gotta tell you, I had nothing but headaches trying to do a dual boot installation, either with Windows 10 or Fedora 29. Since I have a hybrid disk machine, I ended up creating two MBRs, two /boot/efi's, etc, one on the SSD and on on the SATA drive. One of the problems I had was even though I *thought* was doing a clean install, I wasn't. For either then qubes or one of the other OSs, I can't remember which, it wasn't wiping/formatting the /boot/efi partition, but instead just modifying it. I ended up getting so frustrated, I just completely wiped both drives completely and removed *all* the partitions. Then it installed...

Will qubes install its own boot loader? I'll try again and make sure its a clean drive with the /boot/efi partition gone

gunnar...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2019, 11:14:43 AM1/23/19
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 9:27:02 AM UTC-6, bill...@gmail.com wrote:
> The other thing I did wrong was to use the usb writer in a mode other than "dd." It doesn't sound like you made that mistake, since you got as far as you did, but that caused me a few hours of amusement also.

Yea I got that one right... thanks though

gunnar...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2019, 11:25:41 AM1/23/19
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 9:25:44 AM UTC-6, bill...@gmail.com wrote:
> It is the only OS on the drive? I gotta tell you, I had nothing but headaches trying to do a dual boot installation, either with Windows 10 or Fedora 29. Since I have a hybrid disk machine, I ended up creating two MBRs, two /boot/efi's, etc, one on the SSD and on on the SATA drive. One of the problems I had was even though I *thought* was doing a clean install, I wasn't. For either then qubes or one of the other OSs, I can't remember which, it wasn't wiping/formatting the /boot/efi partition, but instead just modifying it. I ended up getting so frustrated, I just completely wiped both drives completely and removed *all* the partitions. Then it installed...

Actually yea it was the only OS on the drive, I had windows on a seperate drve though. After installing qubes on the blank drive I had no /boot/efi partition.

bill...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2019, 7:49:07 AM1/24/19
to qubes-users
Well, I guess I'm pretty useless, then. Sorry. I sympathize. It took me about five attempts of reinstalling Qubes and/or KDE neon to get them both to work. I swear that Qubes partitioned automatically on installation, but I guess my memory was wrong. That's always the problem when you bang your head against a wall fifteen times, you can forget exactly which combination worked. A apologize for leading you down the wrong path and costing you an extra useless installation attempt.