Is there any hope for Wayland?

Dima Puntus

Sep 8, 2016, 8:44:26 PM9/8/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

After testing Qubes for a few weeks (3.1, 3.2-rc1,2&3), here's my 2 cents:

It's a great OS in many aspects but still unusable outside of the small group of the "terminal only" ppl. Reason # 1 is graphics. In this day and age it's expected for any OS to at least have basic video rendering without glitches. AFAIK, Qubes is still using the old Fedora 20 video drivers (even for Intel IGPs), while Fedora 25, Wayland enabled is only 2 months away. I thought this was a Xen+Fedora limitation, so I installed Fedora 24 + Xen, Ubuntu 16.04+Xen, Debian 8 + Xen, - and they all work ok with decent drivers. So, I guess, in order to conform to certain security requirements, the Qubes team was forced to "tweak" the X server and/or drivers.

So what's the current status on video drivers in Qubes? Is Wayland on its way or are we hooped? Any insights? This is not just my personal question (though I'd love to switch to Qubes as my primary OS) but also many of my colleagues in the IT/IS world.

Thank you!

Jeremy Rand

Sep 8, 2016, 11:00:06 PM9/8/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Dima Puntus:
> AFAIK, Qubes is still using the old Fedora 20 video drivers (even
> for Intel IGPs), while Fedora 25, Wayland enabled is only 2 months away.

AFAIK Qubes 3.2 is using Fedora 23 for dom0, meaning the video drivers
should be the same as what's in Fedora 23.

Cheers,
-Jeremy Rand

signature.asc

pixel fairy

Sep 9, 2016, 9:07:39 AM9/9/16
to qubes-users, jer...@veclabs.net, jerem...@airmail.cc
wayland is inevitable. for the vms, this would take the form of a qubes compositor.

that said, ive used the gimp, watched movies, even toyed with video editing on a 6 year old laptop running qubes 3.2rc3. also played a bit with blender and it seems fine, but havent tried animating yet.

if your primary purpose is art/media i would not use qubes. maybe its ok if thats 2d / light3d. i think video editing should be fine, but id be iffy about high res compositing.

in the mean time, you can take a few ideas from qubes. i use vmware-fusion(virtualbox does not support nested virtualization) on my work computer, a macbookpro. all my work is done within virtual machines, most of which run linux. one runs os x, and i also have a vagrantbox of os x for development. all of them are generated with packer and controlled with ansible.

theres a special vm called "canary" that gets all the usb devices. it would also be possible to make a network vm to further isolate os x. (you can download updates offline) another special vm is called "vault". the only difference is the script types into the target vm instead of paste, because you can use firejail to protect apps from reading each others keystrokes, by giving all the apps their own x server. clipboard and fileshare is disabled in all the VMs, but i still dont want different apps within a vm reading each others keystrokes.

if your going this route, lookup sandbox for os x or firejail for linux. linux + kvm would be better than this vmware nonsense. i plan on trying that with fedora 25.

Vít Šesták

Sep 11, 2016, 4:13:12 AM9/11/16
to qubes-users
Video drivers AFAIK differ in those three versions:
3.0 seems to have Fedora 20 drivers
3.1 has some updated drivers, despite being based on Fedora 20
3.2 is based on Fedora 23

However, I can see little-to-no benefits of Wayland for Qubes:

In dom0, it might be some differences in GPU support. This is probably the main (dis)advantage at the moment. I believe that Wayland will come there when dom0 (or maybe GUIVM in future) is upgraded to corresponding version of Fedora. It will probably require some changes to some scripts and patches for Xfwm. KWin patches seem to be X11-agnostic.

In domU (AppVMs), I don't see any difference except having to port GUI forwarding mechanism.

Non-advantages or dubious avdantages in Qubes:

Acceleration support:
In dom0, GPU acceleration seems to be mostly supported today. Moreover, it does not seem to be needed much there, because it would be used mostly (and maybe only) for Window manager effects if enabled.
In domU, there is a different issue with graphic acceleration: it is not supported by Qubes at all, for security reasons. There might be some progress in the future (probably either second GPU pass-through or Intel HW GPU virtualization), but none of them seems to be connected to X11/Wayland dilema.

Security: Qubes brings a different isolation approach. Well, Wayland might make some intra-VM attacks more difficult, but it would be probably much work to make some reasonable mitigation.

A side note on firejail: I don't consider this as a true sandbox. It might be an useful tool for hardening against less severe exploits or some mitigation technique against firejail-unaware attackers, but an untrusted or RCEd application with firejail-aware attacker seems to be able to escape the "sandbox" by many ways. At least unless a very restrictive (non-default) policy is applied.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Lorenzo Lamas

Sep 12, 2016, 9:06:24 AM9/12/16
to qubes-users
Imo a good reason for Wayland in Qubes(Dom0 at least) is because x11 lockscreen is not secure.

Vít Šesták

Sep 12, 2016, 11:49:02 AM9/12/16
to qubes-users
This one might be the best reason for Wayland in Qubes, provided that Wayland is better.

Andrew David Wong

Sep 13, 2016, 1:37:16 AM9/13/16
to Lorenzo Lamas, qubes-users

Vít Šesták

Sep 13, 2016, 1:52:33 AM9/13/16
to qubes-users
Well, the points you have mentioned are also dubious for mainstream Linux environment, not only for Qubes, because they suppose a malicious app already installed in the system.

Other point are, however, accidental interferences with lockscreen. For example, I sometimes see Thunderbird popup on the lockscreen. I don't consider Thunderbird to be a malicious app (if it was, it would probably send my emails via Internet, which would be more practical), but it still leaks few information. There are also some complaints by other users, see discussions about Physlock (which might be also a way to address these problem).

Andrew David Wong

Sep 13, 2016, 2:06:04 AM9/13/16
to Vít Šesták, qubes-users

pixelfairy

Sep 13, 2016, 5:06:33 PM9/13/16
to Vít Šesták, qubes-users
On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 1:13 AM Vít Šesták <groups-no-private-mail--con...@v6ak.com> wrote:
Video drivers AFAIK differ in those three versions:
3.0 seems to have Fedora 20 drivers
3.1 has some updated drivers, despite being based on Fedora 20
3.2 is based on Fedora 23

However, I can see little-to-no benefits of Wayland for Qubes:

In dom0, it might be some differences in GPU support. This is probably the main (dis)advantage at the moment. I believe that Wayland will come there when dom0 (or maybe GUIVM in future) is upgraded to corresponding version of Fedora. It will probably require some changes to some scripts and patches for Xfwm. KWin patches seem to be X11-agnostic.

thats the next version, fedora 25. of course, x11 isnt leaving the distribution anytime soon, and even if xorg stops shipping, those qubes-vm tools will use xwayland until they're ported.

In domU (AppVMs), I don't see any difference except having to port GUI forwarding mechanism.

Non-advantages or dubious avdantages in Qubes:

Acceleration support:
In dom0, GPU acceleration seems to be mostly supported today. Moreover, it does not seem to be needed much there, because it would be used mostly (and maybe only) for Window manager effects if enabled.
In domU, there is a different issue with graphic acceleration: it is not supported by Qubes at all, for security reasons. There might be some progress in the future (probably either second GPU pass-through or Intel HW GPU virtualization), but none of them seems to be connected to X11/Wayland dilema.

Security: Qubes brings a different isolation approach. Well, Wayland might make some intra-VM attacks more difficult, but it would be probably  much work to make some reasonable mitigation.

agreed in that qubes solves most of the problems wayland does. the most visible issue wayland has over qubes-x11 is keyboard sniffing. you can  run all your gui apps in their own VM to avoid this, but thats more overhead than should be nessescary.

i really dont like sensitive information touching a clipboard, which is why, on my mac, passphrases from the vault vm are typed into the target vm instead of pasted. (that, and theyd then have to be then copied to the xephyr instance, making it another step)

A side note on firejail: I don't consider this as a true sandbox. It might be an useful tool for hardening against less severe exploits or some mitigation technique against firejail-unaware attackers, but an untrusted or RCEd application with firejail-aware attacker seems to be able to escape the "sandbox" by many ways. At least unless a very restrictive (non-default) policy is applied.

RCEd?

if you know of something better than firejail, id like to look at that. ive looked at the old redhat selinux sandbox. havent looked at oz, from subgraphos yet.

the firejails issues page on github doubles as a discussion forum where we discuss these escapes, and there still a few known possible. i run mine with private-homes for all the firejailed apps, and that works pretty well (work computer, not qubes). you have to move files, for example from one browsers home, to your gimps home, but if your used to qubes, your doing that anyway.

i think anyone sensibly security conscious would make better profiles. the default browser ones are pretty open, but the private home takes care of most of that. the defaults do change when people bring them up. a recent addition in the just released current version is blocking the ssh-agent socket in the default profile.

things still not handled include

* dbus (unless you have apparmor)
* microphone, unless you disable sound completely. qubes solves this. firejail also has issues with pulseaudio.
* X11 on not x11 apps unless you either disable network, or run the xserver without abstract sockets.

firejail cant yet block abstract sockets without also blocking the network.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 12, 2016, 9:30:52 AM10/12/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
There was a problem getting Xen to compile in Fedora 24. Search for
those words in the mailing list.

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Oct 12, 2016, 9:37:57 AM10/12/16
to Manuel Amador (Rudd-O), qubes...@googlegroups.com

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 12, 2016, 11:57:22 AM10/12/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 09/13/2016 05:52 AM, Vít Šesták wrote:
> Well, the points you have mentioned are also dubious for mainstream Linux environment, not only for Qubes, because they suppose a malicious app already installed in the system.

They do not presuppose that. They merely presuppose an app has been
compromised by an attacker. This presupposition is valid in mainstream
Linux, and invalid in Qubes dom0. See the difference?

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 12, 2016, 12:04:47 PM10/12/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 10/12/2016 01:38 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> AFAIR this particular problem was fixed (not sure if in xen 4.6 or 4.7).

Is there support for upgrading dom0 to Fedora 24?

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

Alex

Oct 12, 2016, 12:06:08 PM10/12/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 10/12/2016 06:04 PM, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> On 10/12/2016 01:38 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
>>

>> AFAIR this particular problem was fixed (not sure if in xen 4.6 or
>> 4.7).
>>

> Is there support for upgrading dom0 to Fedora 24?

The main problem is, does the qubes-gui facility support Wayland?

--
Alex

signature.asc

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 12, 2016, 3:56:03 PM10/12/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
F25 will let X clients such as GUID on dom0 connect transparently to
Wayland via a local X server blitting to Wayland.

As for the domU side, I do not know but I presume clients shipping in
F25 all can detect whether to use X or Wayland based on their environment.

This is yet to be tested.

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/