unsupported hardware detected with the installation of qubes 4.0.1, and 4.0.2-rc2

rickey

Dec 10, 2019, 10:26:44 AM12/10/19
to qubes-users
Good morning Everyone,
I have installed previously Qubes 3.2.1 on a Dell small form factor desktop pc, and lenovo x120e, and I was able to use them.
When I tried to install the Qubes versions mentioned above on the same hardware, it is showing the message into the attached screenshot. If I proceed despite it, I cannot finish the installation of the thinkpad, and Dell's doesn't allow Tor to start.
I have read some blog here, as well as the post in https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3208  but no real solution can be found there.
Please, give some ideas how to overcome this issue. I really want to buy the Insurgo PrivacyBeast X230 Laptop but cannot afford at least of $ 2,500 for it.
Best,
Rickey
IMG_2432.jpg

Steve Coleman

Dec 10, 2019, 11:56:27 AM12/10/19
to qubes-users
On 2019-12-10 10:26, rickey wrote:
> Good morning Everyone,
> I have installed previously Qubes 3.2.1 on a Dell small form factor
> desktop pc, and lenovo x120e, and I was able to use them.
> When I tried to install the Qubes versions mentioned above on the same
> hardware, it is showing the message into the attached screenshot. If I
> proceed despite it, I cannot finish the installation of the thinkpad,
> and Dell's doesn't allow Tor to start.

You have two separate problems here apparently, and not really enough
detail for us to go by to help much.

- For the Lenovo x120e I would start by checking your BIOS version to
see if you are up to date. You can find that information here:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/si/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x120e/downloads/driver-list/component?name=BIOS%2FUEFI

If you are not up to date then download the bootable CD version, reflash
your bios to the latest and try again. You also may have to play with
the UEFI settings to be able to continue the installation, if its
rebooting that isn't working. You have not told us what error you are
getting or where in the install process it stops working. There are no
x120e's in the HCL list yet but somebody might have some experience with
something similar.

- For the Dell, we don't even know what system model you have yet. Are
you talking about the whonix system for Tor? Have the whonix service
VM's been started? What VM logs are available? We need more information
in order to be able to help.

Note: Since you have two separate system problems I would suggest
splitting this email thread into two separate threads so the people
familiar with each kind of system can focus better on that particular
issue. We will try to help if we can.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/4add3ef3-3249-4206-8f0e-8bc292071314%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/4add3ef3-3249-4206-8f0e-8bc292071314%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Claudia

Dec 11, 2019, 4:32:40 PM12/11/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Steve Coleman:
Just wanted to add, please include an HCL report for each machine. It
contains information which helps us troubleshoot your specific hardware.
It also helps the Qubes developers improve compatibility.
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/hcl/

Also, where is the original message? My mailbox and even
mail-archive.com is showing Steve Coleman's message as the root of a
thread, even though it is prefixed with "Re:" and contains quoted text.
This isn't the first time I've seen this happen. Am I missing something?

https://www.mail-archive.com/qubes...@googlegroups.com/msg31376.html

As a result I can't see the aforementioned screenshot...

This free account was provided by VFEmail.net - report spam to ab...@vfemail.net

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

rickey

Dec 13, 2019, 1:00:11 AM12/13/19
to qubes-users
Thank you steve.coleman,
I will reinstall the systems, and will let you know, and will do screenshots.
Thank you, and Best Regards
rickey

rickey

Dec 13, 2019, 1:11:56 AM12/13/19
to qubes-users
Thank you Claudia,
I will create separate threads as steve.coleman suggested, as well as will do as you have suggested too.
I have reattached to my reply the screenshot - hopefully you will see it now - please, let me know.
What I have also mentioned something strange. I am trying to use Whonix in my Win 10 PCs until I setup, and start Qubes OS (the aim is actually to be able to implement it in Nuc Hades Canyon), and when I try to access this group from it, it said -  "Um Google Groups Discussions nutzen zu können, aktivieren Sie JavaScript in Ihren Browsereinstellungen und aktualisieren Sie dann diese Seite." which basically asking me to allow the Java Script in Tor. Do you know solution to this? - it is kind of an addition to your note to steve.coleman - I guess we should be able to stay anonymous while discussing Qubes OS, and Tor :)
Thanks, and Regards,
Rickey
IMG_2432.jpg