Lenovo ThinkPad, won't boot

demio...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2018, 6:23:55 PM1/15/18
to qubes-users
My Lenovo ThinkPad fails to boot after installing Qubes. I had to boot the USB drive via legacy boot for Qubes to install at all, but the EFI setup doesn't happen.

pixel fairy

Jan 15, 2018, 8:03:28 PM1/15/18
to qubes-users
On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 3:23:55 PM UTC-8, demio...@gmail.com wrote:
> My Lenovo ThinkPad fails to boot after installing Qubes. I had to boot the USB drive via legacy boot for Qubes to install at all, but the EFI setup doesn't happen.

what model?

If its new, you'll probably have more luck with 4.x.

Tim W

Jan 17, 2018, 5:08:13 AM1/17/18
to qubes-users
On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 6:23:55 PM UTC-5, demio...@gmail.com wrote:
> My Lenovo ThinkPad fails to boot after installing Qubes. I had to boot the USB drive via legacy boot for Qubes to install at all, but the EFI setup doesn't happen.

need a model number and spec. should not need legacy mode if hardware/cpu matches tp qubes oversion 3 vs 4s

demio...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2018, 1:47:01 PM1/28/18
to qubes-users

Model number is 20HH-CTO1WW

allison...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2018, 3:19:56 AM1/29/18
to qubes-users

Damn you got yourself a serious powerhouse for a standard built laptop. Thing can even be had with a xeon processor..

Good news is most every lenovo with a compatible procssor which you have can be made to work.

Not sure on your total config or what option you have in bios for the discreet video card . If you have the nvida as well as the on processor intel 630 see if you have an option to turn off or disable the nvida in bios. This is help for later once we get it booted.

You say in legacy mode you get it to see the usb but what do you mean by it wont install exact? What happens?

Are you trying the legacy install or the uefi? I would try the legacy install first as that is the simplest way to get it up and running. But if you want the uefi have you looked at the troubleshooting section for lenovo laptops in the document section of qubes os website?

Here is the link. https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/thinkpad-troubleshooting/

My guess would be to follow the first set of options wheRe you use the fedora installer first to setup the usb so it will read it properly. Its titled
"Instructions to create USB installation medium for newer (UEFI-only) ThinkPads"

Otherwise you can download the bios legacy installer iso qnd just leave it in legacy only or it may work in hybrid self detect mode and get it up and running. Then when you decide to upgrade to 4.0 in the next year you can switch to uefi and work thru it.

Now you will still need to do some extra work if you have the nvida card as well. You will need to look at the docs for the nvida install. Some models of lenovo ha e a bios control for choosing one or the other or both video cards but they have taken them out of the bios also without any warning. I had that issue where they pulled that control from my bios but earlier ones had it. I returned mine and got the one with only the intel video as without control thenvida radded battery dran drain and took a good bit of tinkering to prevent that extra drain. Might no longer be an issue as it was a year or so ago.

Many people have setups with the nvidas so you can get it t9 work without crazy trouble so do not worry too much. First get qubes installed. But take a minute and read up on the nvida before hand just so you know whats going on if you vet a black scn or something at some point.

Tim W

Jan 29, 2018, 6:24:23 PM1/29/18
to qubes-users
Here is a thread with steps to get uefi install of 3.2 working on the p51 from a few weeks ago

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/qubes-users/4VsKdxnKHBk

Cbeers,

Tim

joeh...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2018, 4:17:20 AM1/30/18
to qubes-users

Here is a page from the qubes documentation:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/thinkpad-troubleshooting/